which gui toolkit

thegandhi

1/16/2005 4:14:00 PM

Sorry if this question comes up often,
Which GUI toolkit do you use (and why)?

17 Answers

Joao Pedrosa

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 01:21:08 +0900, Gandhi <thegandhi@hotpop.com_cuthere> wrote:
> Sorry if this question comes up often,
> Which GUI toolkit do you use (and why)?

I use Ruby-GTK+ because it is supported on Linux and on Windows. I
have some wrappers around it to make it even easier (in other words,
I've created a "domain specific language" for GTK+ using Ruby.)

GTK+ is getting greater with the time. It's good enough for my own
tools. But I haven't tested it with real users yet. :-)

It has some good widgetsin comparison with other toolkits. But the
other toolkits are improving as well, and maybe with the right task or
knowledge can be much better than GTK+.

GTK+ is more or less free for comercial use, too.

Cheers,
Joao

Bauduin Raphael

Gandhi wrote:
> Sorry if this question comes up often,
> Which GUI toolkit do you use (and why)?

I'm developing on Linux and targetting it and other Free unixes, and my
development is under GPL. I enjoy using Qt and KDE bindings. It's making
development really easy.

For example, in the next logtails version, there'll be highlighting of
patterns in the logs displayed. Coding that highlighting feature was
done in 5 minutes, and I had never done it before. Qt is very clean and
well documented.

I also like the KDE infrastructure put in place. You get a lot of things
for nearly no code: config files, user customisable task bars and ui,
network transparency, DCOP, KParts, .... KDE documentation is not as
good as the Qt one though.

Two things to keep in mind when looking at Qt: the licensing of Qt, and
the fact that Trolltech seems to be very focused on C++ and not a lot on
bindings for languages as Ruby.

Raph

thegandhi

Yes, I belive Qt (and GTK) are pretty advanced stuff in Unix world.
However seeing that users of my app will be mostly windows folk I'm
looking for something closer to windows look and feel.
So between FLTK, FOX, wx (are there any other options?) which one would
you recommend?

Joao Pedrosa

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 05:36:07 +0900, Gandhi <thegandhi@hotpop.com_cuthere> wrote:

> Yes, I belive Qt (and GTK) are pretty advanced stuff in Unix world.
> However seeing that users of my app will be mostly windows folk I'm
> looking for something closer to windows look and feel.
> So between FLTK, FOX, wx (are there any other options?) which one would
> you recommend?

Maybe you could give wxRuby a try. If you are used to Windows
programming, then you might feel comfortable with it. Another plus is
that wxRuby is native Windows.

Fox is good but is not native anywhere. :-)

I don't have an opinion about FLTK. :-)

Cheers,
Joao

Jeremy Tregunna

On 16-Jan-05, at 11:21 AM, Gandhi wrote:
> Which GUI toolkit do you use (and why)?

Myself I use Ruby/Cocoa primarily due to the fact I know the API
(having been writing ObjC code on OPENSTEP/Cocoa and GNUstep for many
years), plus the fact it's simple and easy to use.

--
Jeremy Tregunna
jtregunna@blurgle.ca

Nick

On Win32, wxruby works well. The widgets are native, and the API is
pretty stable at this point. The wxruby team is working on using wxMac
2.5 on OS X to improve it's Mac functionality.

Nick

Lothar Scholz wrote:
> Hello Gandhi,
>

> G> Yes, I belive Qt (and GTK) are pretty advanced stuff in Unix world.
> G> However seeing that users of my app will be mostly windows folk I'm
> G> looking for something closer to windows look and feel.
> G> So between FLTK, FOX, wx (are there any other options?) which one would
> G> you recommend?
>
> If i had to start again i would use WX for my low-cost projects.
> For a commerical application i would now always choose QT, it's also
> very good on Windows.
>
> All toolkits are bad on MacOSX. There you can't only use ruby-cocoa.

Kaspar Schiess

> Sorry if this question comes up often,
> Which GUI toolkit do you use (and why)?

This question does come up a lot and is in my private ruby-lang FAQ; Here
is a good link on the topic:

http://trug.stok.co.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Ruby_GU...

Following the links there takes you here too:

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?ComparingG...

Good luck reading, kaspar

hand manufactured code - www.tua.ch/ruby

Alexander Kellett

On Jan 16, 2005, at 9:36 PM, Gandhi wrote:
> Yes, I belive Qt (and GTK) are pretty advanced stuff in Unix world.
> However seeing that users of my app will be mostly windows folk I'm
> looking for something closer to windows look and feel.
> So between FLTK, FOX, wx (are there any other options?) which one would
> you recommend?

Qt. it has excellent look and feel on windows,
and is much more complete / easy to use than
the others listed.

unfortunately. you'll have to pay for it :)
which is really the problem i guess?

Alex

benny

Bauduin Raphael wrote:

> Gandhi wrote:
>> Sorry if this question comes up often,
>> Which GUI toolkit do you use (and why)?
>>

> I'm developing on Linux and targetting it and other Free unixes, and my
> development is under GPL. I enjoy using Qt and KDE bindings. It's making
> development really easy.

Did anyone manage to install the kde / ruby bindings on FreeBSD?
I would like to use them, but unfortunately.....

benny

Alexander Kellett

On Jan 17, 2005, at 11:51 AM, benny wrote:
> Did anyone manage to install the kde / ruby bindings on FreeBSD?
> I would like to use them, but unfortunately.....

whats the problem?
got a backtrace or configure log?
if you can get me ssh access to a machine i'll give it a shot...
Alex