Fwd: [suby-ruby] Your all time desired fundemental Ruby mod

T. Onoma

1/16/2005 12:24:00 AM

I'm taking a little poll.

Let say you're Matz, but without any of the pressures of keeping up with a
previous version of Ruby. What one thing above all others would you like to
see differ about Ruby?

T.

95 Answers

Joao Pedrosa

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:23:56 +0900, trans. (T. Onoma)
<transami@runbox.com> wrote:
> I'm taking a little poll.
>
> Let say you're Matz, but without any of the pressures of keeping up with a
> previous version of Ruby. What one thing above all others would you like to
> see differ about Ruby?

I/O tricks to emulate what is needed on Windows. Like the "gets"
command that locks the program, but shouldn't. That's one of the
things that the Perl people can still brag about (their programs can
run with the same code on Linux/Windows. Generally, maybe.) :-)

Overall I'm happy, though. :-)

PS: Please, don't ask for static typing. lol :P

Cheers,
Joao

Bob Calco

Rewrite it from scratch atop a multi-paradigm cross-platform VM such as the
one found at:

www.mozart-oz.org

The syntax of Mozart is odd; a Ruby front end syntax to the back-end Oz VM,
though, would rock.

- Bob Calco

! Let say you're Matz, but without any of the pressures of
! keeping up with a
! previous version of Ruby. What one thing above all others
! would you like to
! see differ about Ruby?
!
! T.
!
!

Glenn Parker

trans. (T. Onoma) wrote:
> I'm taking a little poll.
>
> Let say you're Matz, but without any of the pressures of keeping up with a
> previous version of Ruby. What one thing above all others would you like to
> see differ about Ruby?

Real OS-based threading.

--
Glenn Parker | glenn.parker-AT-comcast.net | <http://www.tetrafoi...

Ryan Davis

On Jan 15, 2005, at 4:23 PM, trans. (T. Onoma) wrote:

> I'm taking a little poll.
>
> Let say you're Matz, but without any of the pressures of keeping up
> with a
> previous version of Ruby. What one thing above all others would you
> like to
> see differ about Ruby?

No more C code! Love ruby. Don't love ruby internals. I would like ruby
to be written in ruby. That would be something I could love.

P.S. I'm working on this already. Email me for details.

Trevor

Glenn Parker wrote:

> trans. (T. Onoma) wrote:
>
>> I'm taking a little poll.
>>
>> Let say you're Matz, but without any of the pressures of keeping up
>> with a previous version of Ruby. What one thing above all others
>> would you like to see differ about Ruby?
>

> Real OS-based threading.

seconded.

Ilmari Heikkinen

> Let say you're Matz, but without any of the pressures of keeping up
> with a
> previous version of Ruby. What one thing above all others would you
> like to
> see differ about Ruby?

Couldn't think of much else.. well, there's the usual Marshallable
Everything, Tail-call Optimization, Real Threads, Automatic Parallelism
:) (ie. array.map{|x| do_something_expensive(x)} would automagically do
all maps in parallel)

But here's one:

Syntax sugar for parameter pattern matching + reflection for it

def sum(x, 0)
when (_,100)
raise "100 is bad number"
when (x,y)
sum(x+1, y-1)
end

would mean

def sum(x, y)
case [x,y]
when [x,0]
when [x,100]
raise "100 is bad number"
when [x,y]
sum(x+1, y-1)

And you could query & edit them:

s = method(:sum)
s.patterns
# => {(x,0)=>Method, (_,100)=>Method, (x,y)=>Method}
s.patterns.delete((_,100))
s.patterns[(x,y)] = Method.new{|x,y| x+y}

lucsky

Glenn Parker <glenn.parker@comcast.net> wrote:

> Real OS-based threading.

+10

--
Luc Heinrich - lucsky@mac.com

Csaba Henk

On 2005-01-16, trans. (T. Onoma) <transami@runbox.com> wrote:
> I'm taking a little poll.
>
> Let say you're Matz, but without any of the pressures of keeping up with a
> previous version of Ruby. What one thing above all others would you like to
> see differ about Ruby?

Docstrings.

Let's see what Matz (the real one) says about this (in ruby-talk:20264):

"" Yes, indeed. Docstring is for man (or woman), so that - I think -
"" interpreter itself does not need to have them. Lisp (including Emacs)
"" and Smalltalk have interactive environment built in. Docstrings is
"" useful in such systems. Ruby is not. For example, in daemon program
"" written in Ruby, docstrings are nothing but memory burden.

But, for heaven's sake, I use ruby as an interactive environment quite
reguralry! In fact, it's a beautiful interactive environment (except for
docstrings lacking). Why to close ruby into a niche, just because it
fits there excellently?

(With appropriate docsstring syntax, the interpreter could either regard
them as comments or attach them as variables to the corresponding class
or method [depending on options], so the "memory burden" argument is not
valid.)

Csaba

gabriele renzi

trans. (T. Onoma) ha scritto:
> I'm taking a little poll.
>
> Let say you're Matz, but without any of the pressures of keeping up with a
> previous version of Ruby. What one thing above all others would you like to
> see differ about Ruby?

kill @@variables, and provide class_attr_reader and writer wich set/get
instance variables in the class object. (IIRC there were no @@variables
in early rubies so actually I would avoid keeping up ;).

Have a different threading approach, maybe Agent-like.

Provide more mixins (Readable/Writable/Seekable/Map).

Base the IO system on asynchronous event driven stuff such as libevent.
I also found funny that in ruby-land people often wants OS threads and
in python-land were they have them people often wants asynchronous stuff
(i.e. twisted) :)

dblack