Good Ruby Code (RE: why dosn't ruby support // to comment?

Kevin Kleinfelter

1/15/2005 6:20:00 PM

Which brings to mind the question -- which of the applications on RAA are examples of exceptionally well written code? I'm still
learning Ruby. I find that if I just write programs, I write idiomatic C programs in Ruby. I'm looking for recommendations on well
written applications/frameworks/libraries that are an educational and interesting demonstration of superb Ruby code.

TIA

Kevin Kleinfelter

-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Hunter [mailto:cyclists@nc.rr.com]
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2005 1:01 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: Re: why dosn't ruby support // to comment?

[SNIP]

But, hey, now I'm sounding like a dour old pedant. Good Ruby code is a
pleasure to read, especially when I run across an idiom so clear and
powerful that it makes me want to start coding just so I can copy it.

3 Answers

Tim Hunter

Kevin Kleinfelter wrote:

> Which brings to mind the question -- which of the applications on RAA are
> examples of exceptionally well written code? I'm still learning Ruby. I
> find that if I just write programs, I write idiomatic C programs in Ruby.
> I'm looking for recommendations on well written
> applications/frameworks/libraries that are an educational and interesting
> demonstration of superb Ruby code.

See _why's RedHanded blog entry about Akira Tanaka:
http://redhanded.hobix.com/cult/theCodeClutteredLandscapeOfTanak...

James Britt

Kevin Kleinfelter wrote:
> Which brings to mind the question -- which of the applications on RAA are examples of exceptionally well written code?

You might do well to look at the libs shipped with the Ruby standard
library.

James

James Gray

On Jan 15, 2005, at 12:20 PM, Kevin Kleinfelter wrote:

> Which brings to mind the question -- which of the applications on RAA
> are examples of exceptionally well written code? I'm still learning
> Ruby. I find that if I just write programs, I write idiomatic C
> programs in Ruby. I'm looking for recommendations on well
> written applications/frameworks/libraries that are an educational and
> interesting demonstration of superb Ruby code.

I am naturally biased, but I believe Ruby Quiz is a great source fir
learning idiomatic Ruby (and clever tricks):

http://www.grayproductions.net/...

James Edward Gray II