JRuby still under development?

Matt Mower

1/14/2005 11:17:00 PM

Hi folks,

I'm looking into using the Drools (www.drools.org) rule engine for a
work project. It's a RETE based rule engine implemented in Java which
has pluggable semantic frameworks allowing rules & consequences to be
expresed in a range of languages including Java, Groovy and Python.
But not Ruby.

I'm very interested in the possibility of writing rules using domain
specific languages. Watching how Rails is evolving a simple language
for MVC web applications it seems to me that Ruby would actually be a
great fit with Drools.

However JRuby development appears to have stalled last March and the
lastest release (v0.70) available from
http://jruby.sourceforge.net/i... is described as:

"Interpreter now thinks it is a ruby 1.8 interpreter (though it
still sometimes behaves like a 1.6 interpreter)"

Does anyone know what the status of the JRuby project is?

Regards,

Matt
--
Matt Mower :: http://matt...

2 Answers

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

The JRuby mail list seems to indicate a 0.8 release in the next week or so.

Development has been active- the current recomendation on the JRuby
list is to grab CVS HEAD if you want to work around some of the 0.7
limitations.

--
Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

Matt Mower

Hi Nicholas,

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 15:45:16 +0900, Nicholas Van Weerdenburg
<vanweerd@gmail.com> wrote:
> The JRuby mail list seems to indicate a 0.8 release in the next week or so.
>
> Development has been active- the current recomendation on the JRuby
> list is to grab CVS HEAD if you want to work around some of the 0.7
> limitations.

That's good news.

Thanks,

Matt