johna

8/29/2002 1:11:00 AM

Is there an equivalent to the WM_SETTINGCHANGE in the SDK?

3 Answers

(Mattias Sjögren)

>Is there an equivalent to the WM_SETTINGCHANGE in the SDK?

See the Microsoft.Win32.SystemEvents class and specificly its
UserPreferenceChanged event.

Mattias

===
Mattias Sjögren (VB MVP)
mattias @ mvps.org
http://www.msjogren.n...

johna

"Mattias Sjögren" <mattias.dont.want.spam@mvps.org> wrote in message
> See the Microsoft.Win32.SystemEvents class and specificly its
UserPreferenceChanged event.

I had seen this already. There were a couple of things I didn't quite
understand:

1) How do I raise the event? I didn't see a method or mechanism for doing
that.
2) I assume the category is UserPreferenceCategory.General since none of the
others seem to fit. The WM_SETTINGSCHANGED has a parameter where a string
can be used for indicating that the enivronment variables have changed. I
need cmd.exe to recognize the change, it might respond only to
"Environment" and nothing else.

(Mattias Sjögren)

>1) How do I raise the event? I didn't see a method or mechanism for doing
>that.

You don't, it's only there for handling. If you want to broadcast
WM_SETTINGSCHANGED, you have to do so using SendMessageTimeout().

Mattias

===
Mattias Sjögren [MVP] mattias @ mvps.org
http://www.msjogren.n...