Mozilla binding

Alex Martin Ugalde

1/13/2005 7:04:00 PM

Anyone knows if it exists some Ruby binding to Mozilla?

My goal is to render HTML pages in Ruby using the Gecko engine, like
Python does with PythonMoz (http://sourceforge.net/projects...).

Regards,
Alex

5 Answers

Paul Duncan

* Alex Martin Ugalde (alex.martin@eresmas.com) wrote:
> Anyone knows if it exists some Ruby binding to Mozilla?
>
> My goal is to render HTML pages in Ruby using the Gecko engine, like
> Python does with PythonMoz (http://sourceforge.net/projects...).

There's a gtkmozembed binding on RAA at
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=g..., but it hasn't been
updated since 2001. Also, both the project page and the download URL
redirect to... nothing.

Most people doing GTK+ development are using GTK+ 2.0 now-a-days, and
gtkmozembed has been ported to GTK+ 2.0. If you want to use it, you'll
probably need to write bindings for it. The header only has about 40
functions, so it shouln't take more than a day or two to wrap.

If writing bindings isn't your cup of tea, you might be able to use
KHTML instead. I don't do Qt or KDE, so I can't provide any help in
that area.

Hope this helps...

--
Paul Duncan <pabs@pablotron.org> pabs in #ruby-lang (OPN IRC)
http://www.pabl... OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562

Bauduin Raphael

Paul Duncan wrote:
> * Alex Martin Ugalde (alex.martin@eresmas.com) wrote:
>
>>Anyone knows if it exists some Ruby binding to Mozilla?
>>
>>My goal is to render HTML pages in Ruby using the Gecko engine, like
>>Python does with PythonMoz (http://sourceforge.net/projects...).
>

> There's a gtkmozembed binding on RAA at
> http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=g..., but it hasn't been
> updated since 2001. Also, both the project page and the download URL
> redirect to... nothing.
>
> Most people doing GTK+ development are using GTK+ 2.0 now-a-days, and
> gtkmozembed has been ported to GTK+ 2.0. If you want to use it, you'll
> probably need to write bindings for it. The header only has about 40
> functions, so it shouln't take more than a day or two to wrap.
>
> If writing bindings isn't your cup of tea, you might be able to use
> KHTML instead. I don't do Qt or KDE, so I can't provide any help in
> that area.

I can only recommend using Ruby with the QtBindings if you can use it.
It was easy to get a useful application fast (although I didn't know Qt
and I never really programed GUI apps).

The tutorial of the KDE bindings even show how to write a browser (in,
what, 80 lines?):
http://developer.kde.org/language-bindings/ruby/kde3tutori...

Raph

> Hope this helps...
>

>>Regards,
>>Alex

Jeffrey Dik

As far as I know, there aren't any ruby bindings to Mozilla. However,
the ruby bindings of gtkhtml2 (part of the ruby-gnome2 project) worked
quite well for me. I don't think gtkhtml2 is as powerful as the gecko
engine, but when I hacked together a RSS reader a year or so ago, it
rendered pages just fine.

It would be nice to see a rubygtkmoz. Surf the web with Rubyfox :-)
Jeff

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 05:51:13AM +0900, Bauduin Raphael wrote:
> Paul Duncan wrote:
> >* Alex Martin Ugalde (alex.martin@eresmas.com) wrote:
> >
> >>Anyone knows if it exists some Ruby binding to Mozilla?
> >>
> >>My goal is to render HTML pages in Ruby using the Gecko engine, like
> >>Python does with PythonMoz (http://sourceforge.net/projects...).
> >

> >There's a gtkmozembed binding on RAA at
> >http://raa.ruby-lang.org/list.rhtml?name=g..., but it hasn't been
> >updated since 2001. Also, both the project page and the download URL
> >redirect to... nothing.
> >
> >Most people doing GTK+ development are using GTK+ 2.0 now-a-days, and
> >gtkmozembed has been ported to GTK+ 2.0. If you want to use it, you'll
> >probably need to write bindings for it. The header only has about 40
> >functions, so it shouln't take more than a day or two to wrap.
> >
> >If writing bindings isn't your cup of tea, you might be able to use
> >KHTML instead. I don't do Qt or KDE, so I can't provide any help in
> >that area.
>
> I can only recommend using Ruby with the QtBindings if you can use it.
> It was easy to get a useful application fast (although I didn't know Qt
> and I never really programed GUI apps).
>
> The tutorial of the KDE bindings even show how to write a browser (in,
> what, 80 lines?):
> http://developer.kde.org/language-bindings/ruby/kde3tutori...
>
> Raph
>

> >Hope this helps...
> >

> >>Regards,
> >>Alex

Alex Martin Ugalde

Hi Jeff,

> It would be nice to see a rubygtkmoz. Surf the web with Rubyfox :-)

I did before the post, but it seems to be abandonware.

> As far as I know, there aren't any ruby bindings to Mozilla. However,
> the ruby bindings of gtkhtml2 (part of the ruby-gnome2 project) worked
> quite well for me.

I'll try it, i hope it suits my needs :)

Thanks!
Alex

Alex Martin Ugalde

Hi Paul,

> probably need to write bindings for it. The header only has about 40
> functions, so it shouln't take more than a day or two to wrap.

It could be a good way.

> If writing bindings isn't your cup of tea, you might be able to use
> KHTML instead. I don't do Qt or KDE, so I can't provide any help in
> that area.

This how i'm doing it now, but i don't like it too much because it
wastes time: launch it, writing and read the html rendered image.

> Hope this helps...

It does :)

Thanks
Alex