An open question about the RSS stdlib

Francis Hwang

1/12/2005 4:42:00 AM

Back in November, I built my RSS utility FeedBlender on the RSS
standard library as it stood in (I believe) 1.8.2 preview 3, and it
worked fine. Now as I've come back to take a look at it, I suspect that
a change since then has made FeedBlender break. (I can't verify this
without getting my hands on Ruby 1.8.2 preview 3; if anybody can tell
me where to get this I'd be much obliged.)

Anyway, this is sort of my fault since I'm using the RSS library to
write RSS in a way that Kou had told me isn't supported: You're
supposed to delegate to RSS objects, not inherit from them. Me, I like
inheriting, so that's what I did, and I got bit ... there are some
changes that somewhat mystify me, particularly the fact that it appears
that RSS 2.0 objects now contain RSS::RDF::Item objects, instread of
RSS::Rss::Channel::Item objects ...

I want to fix it, but I could use some counsel regarding the long-term
plans of this library. Seems to me that the parsing is relatively
stable, but the RSS generation is subject to change, right? The
old-fashioned, REXML-style generation is obviously changing. The
tutorial at
http://www.cozmixng.org/~rwiki/...
name=RSS+Parser%3A%3ATutorial.en mentions the RSS::Maker, which seems
like a more Builder-style generation. But that tutorial also
specifically says Maker's API isn't fixed either.

So if I want FeedBlender to use the standard RSS library, and I don't
want to have to adapt to a new API every six months, what's my best
bet?

Thanks,
Francis Hwang
http://f...

6 Answers

Kouhei Sutou

Francis Hwang

On Jan 13, 2005, at 12:06 AM, Kouhei Sutou wrote:
> Sorry, I didn't update the tutorial.
> RSS::Maker's API is fixed.

Okay then. Now I've got a question about RSS::Maker. I'd like to be
able to get the number of items in an RSS while making it. I tried
this:

rss = RSS::Maker.make( '2.0' ) { |maker|
while ( maker.items.size < 20 )
}

but that doesn't work.

Francis Hwang
http://f...

Kouhei Sutou

Kouhei Sutou

Francis Hwang

On Jan 14, 2005, at 11:50 PM, Kouhei Sutou wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In <20050113.140634.67873453.kou@cozmixng.org>
> "Re: An open question about the RSS stdlib" on Thu, 13 Jan 2005
> 14:06:45 +0900,
> Kouhei Sutou <kou@cozmixng.org> wrote:
>
>>> Back in November, I built my RSS utility FeedBlender on the RSS
>>> standard library as it stood in (I believe) 1.8.2 preview 3, and it
>>> worked fine. Now as I've come back to take a look at it, I suspect
>>> that
>>> a change since then has made FeedBlender break.
>>
>> Sorry, I'll fix.
>
> Done.

Thanks much. Any idea when the next preview release is coming out, so I
don't have to say "Feedblender works if you get Ruby from CVS"? ;)

Francis Hwang
http://f...

Eddie Haskell

"Christopher Helms" <Chrishelms132@yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Jul 11, 6:58 pm, "Hitler Was Right - Very Right"
<rander3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When the constitution was written along with the bill of rights blacks
> were
> not considered people they were property just like women are hence they
> have
> no rights
>
> - Rush Limbaugh

> When conservatives talk about Original Intent, and taking this country
> back to its founding principles, they're not just whistling dixie, are
> they?

You'll provide quote and cite of what you just agreed with, or be condemned
to whistling Dixie out of your ass again, Helmsley.

Bock bock ba-cock!

Dare ya!

Bock bockaddy bock!

-Eddie Haskell