NEWBIE: document management system w/ruby

spoonyG

1/11/2005 10:31:00 PM

hi, new to ruby but excited about its possibilities. specifically,
i'm looking to implement a simple web-based document management system
for my company's intranet with ruby on rails. i tried hacking an
existing php-based system (http://owl.sourc...) but I can see it
becoming a hulking bohemoth pretty quickly.

anyone have any experience with this particular use of ruby or where a
good starting place would be? what's the standard (if any) ruby
database implementation in a web context? i'm not a newbie to
programming but i've very little experience with web programming stuff
like cgi, authentication, cookies and the like.

any insights would be appreciated...

spoonyG
:[spoonyG@movemail.com]:

6 Answers

Patrick Spence

I would recommend Hieraki (http://www.hi...), which provides
what it seems that you are asking. It's designed in Ruby on Rails
(http://www.rubyon...), and can be set up though Apache, but
also has a built-in WEBrick server (which is pure Ruby).

--Patrick

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 07:36:28 +0900, spoonyG <spoonyG@movemail.com> wrote:
> hi, new to ruby but excited about its possibilities. specifically,
> i'm looking to implement a simple web-based document management system
> for my company's intranet with ruby on rails. i tried hacking an
> existing php-based system (http://owl.sourc...) but I can see it
> becoming a hulking bohemoth pretty quickly.
>
> anyone have any experience with this particular use of ruby or where a
> good starting place would be? what's the standard (if any) ruby
> database implementation in a web context? i'm not a newbie to
> programming but i've very little experience with web programming stuff
> like cgi, authentication, cookies and the like.
>
> any insights would be appreciated...
>
> spoonyG
> :[spoonyG@movemail.com]:

Dick Davies

* Patrick Spence <patrick.spence@gmail.com> [0158 03:58]:
> I would recommend Hieraki (http://www.hi...), which provides
> what it seems that you are asking. It's designed in Ruby on Rails
> (http://www.rubyon...),

Is'nt it Instiki-based?
(Which could be an issue with huge sites and memory).

--
'Oh, wait, you're serious. Let me laugh even harder.'
-- Bender

Samuel Kvarnbrink

No, it's Rails-based and uses a relational DB for storage (unlike
Instiki, which uses Madeleine), so there shouldn't be any memory issues
to talk about. But Instiki is a close relative, since it uses an early
version of Action Pack.

//samuel

> Is'nt it Instiki-based?
> (Which could be an issue with huge sites and memory).
>
> --
> 'Oh, wait, you're serious. Let me laugh even harder.'
> -- Bender
> Rasputin :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns

________________________
Samuel Kvarnbrink

samuel.kvarnbrink@humlab.umu.se
http://blog.humlab.umu....

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!],
Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures,
will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to
apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such
a question."
-- Charles Babbage

Barbarian Mutual

On Jan 7, 3:25 pm, AGWFacts <AGWFa...@ipcc.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 09:28:35 -0800 (PST), Transition Zone
>
> <mogu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Right after the first Obama Election, if Romney had had corrective
> > surgery or bowtox or something to make such a fake smile look more
> > realistic,  this whole thing might work easier for him.
>
> > But you aren't going to fool people with this appearance.
>
> Romney is supposed to be "the smart one" in the RNC crowd,

I hear them say that Gingrich is the one who accepts all of the
scientific research.

> yet he claimed to believe "cold fusion" was achieved in Utah. The days of
> an intelligent, educated RNC candidate seem to long over.

Its like some organized crime element in the GOP is taking hold. Its
weird.

Transition Zone

On Jan 9, 6:03 pm, AGWFacts <AGWFa...@ipcc.org> wrote:
> > > an intelligent, educated RNC candidate seem to long over.
> > Its like some organized crime element in the GOP is taking hold.  Its
> > weird.
>
> Not just a criminal element, but also an insane one.

Its all impatience. Every popular republican stance can be traced to
impatience. According to the Washington Post, Republicans want
"freedom" and Democrats want "fairness".

Transition Zone

On Jan 9, 6:03 pm, AGWFacts <AGWFa...@ipcc.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 12:25:41 -0800 (PST), Barbarian Mutual
>
> <barbarianfinancialservi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 7, 3:25 pm, AGWFacts <AGWFa...@ipcc.org> wrote:

> > > Romney is supposed to be "the smart one" in the RNC crowd,
> > I hear them say that Gingrich is the one who accepts all of the
> > scientific research.
>
> He and his wife once produced a TV commercial where they both
> agreed the evidence shows humans have caused and are causing
> global climate change. That was before the RNC discovered their
> voter block reject the truth.

I guess the GOP donors successfully pressured him away from the whole
do-gooder bit.

> > > yet he claimed to believe "cold fusion" was achieved in Utah. The days of
> > > an intelligent, educated RNC candidate seem to long over.
> > Its like some organized crime element in the GOP is taking hold.  Its
> > weird.
>
> Not just a criminal element, but also an insane one.

I guess the biggest donors to republicans say what goes. Insane or
not.