[ANN] Soks - Yet Another Wiki

Thomas Counsell

1/11/2005 7:15:00 PM

http://rubyforge.org/proj...

Soks is yet another wiki. Sorry about that. It was written mainly for
my own gratification and in no way reflects on the quality of other
wikis available, nor on the fact that my time could probably have been
better spent on improving one of them. As is always the way, none of
them was quite right for me, and I've been enjoying using it to learn
ruby.

What was right for me?
* Automatic linking between pages (no need for wiki words or any
bracket shenanigans).
* Easy to add, move and delete pages
* Textile
* Flat file storage (incidentally, this makes it easy to import from
instiki using its export function)
* Per wiki templates.
* Webrick (No need for Apache).
* Uploads and Images
* Calendars, automatic summaries and the like

Some of that might be right for you to, if so I'd be grateful if you
would give it a go (instructions below) and let me know how you get on
/ what you think.

First release, so don't trust your mission critical sites to it. In
particular, I have not tested it on any flavour of windows or any
version of ruby except the 1.8.2 series. If anyone does/doesn't get it
working on windows, please let me know. It is also not as fast as
other wikis, so I wouldn't advise it on any 100MHz 64MB virtual hosts.

Thanks

Tom

USE

Best installed by a ruby gem:
1. gem install Soks
2. soks-create-wiki.rb (will create a folder called soks-wiki in the
current directory)
3. http://localhost:8000

Otherwise install by
1. Download the tar or zip from http://rubyforge.org/proj... ,
2. untar or zip,
3. cd Soks-0.0.2,
4. ruby bin/soks-create-wiki.rb (will create a folder called soks-wiki
in the current directory)
5. http://localhost:8000

To restart
A. soks-create-wiki.rb (will not recreate the wiki if the folder
soks-wiki already exists in the current directory)
OR B. ruby soks-wiki/start.rb

To allow the site to be accessible from beyond localhost:
1. cd soks-wiki
2. edit start.rb
3. un-comment the :url => 'http://localhost:8000' line and write your
preferred url. If required also un-comment and change the :port line.

To tinker
A. Have a look at the start.rb file. Lots of things you can change
there.
B. Read the How to hack soks page either on rubyforge or in the soks
wiki you have started.

----
Tom Counsell. http://tom.co...

32 Answers

Florian Gross

Thomas Counsell wrote:

> http://rubyforge.org/proj...
>
> Soks is yet another wiki. Sorry about that. It was written mainly for my
> own gratification and in no way reflects on the quality of other wikis
> available, nor on the fact that my time could probably have been better
> spent on improving one of them. As is always the way, none of them was
> quite right for me, and I've been enjoying using it to learn ruby.

Any demo wiki online? The automatic linking sounds interesting. I'd like
to see that in action.

gabriele renzi

Florian Gross ha scritto:
> Thomas Counsell wrote:
>
>> http://rubyforge.org/proj...
>>
>> Soks is yet another wiki. Sorry about that. It was written mainly for
>> my own gratification and in no way reflects on the quality of other
>> wikis available, nor on the fact that my time could probably have been
>> better spent on improving one of them. As is always the way, none of
>> them was quite right for me, and I've been enjoying using it to learn
>> ruby.
>

> Any demo wiki online? The automatic linking sounds interesting. I'd like
> to see that in action.

+1
Actually I think it's not only interesting but also scaring. I'm afraid
of autolinking an "in" or "to" page :)

Joao Pedrosa

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 04:15:27 +0900, Thomas Counsell <tamc2@cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> http://rubyforge.org/proj...
>
> Soks is yet another wiki. Sorry about that. It was written mainly for
> my own gratification and in no way reflects on the quality of other
> wikis available, nor on the fact that my time could probably have been
> better spent on improving one of them. As is always the way, none of
> them was quite right for me, and I've been enjoying using it to learn
> ruby.

Thanks for this new Wiki. :-)

Cheers,
Joao

Bill Atkins

It looks like it only creates a link if a page with that name exists,
so unless you have a page named "In" Soks wouldn't autolink that word.

+1 to the author

Bill

--
$stdout.sync = true
"Just another Ruby hacker.".each_byte do |b|

Florian Gross

Bill Atkins wrote:

> It looks like it only creates a link if a page with that name exists,
> so unless you have a page named "In" Soks wouldn't autolink that word.

So how do I create a new page? I think the work flow in previous Wikis
was link word, click word, enter content. Maybe this could use something
like Ctrl-clicking a word (yeah, JavaScript, there also needs to be
another way of doing this, but this one will be the more rapid one) to
go to a non-existing page?

Bill Atkins

There's an "Add a new page" option in the sidebar.

--
$stdout.sync = true
"Just another Ruby hacker.".each_byte do |b|
('a'..'z').step do|c|print c+"\b";sleep 0.007 end;print b.chr
end; print "\n"

Douglas Livingstone

> So how do I create a new page?

Perhap there this could be done using something like the word linking
hyperdictionary does, see example:

http://www.hyperdictionary.com/dictionary/...

It might need a link on the page to "activate" the linking, but the
idea should be fine. The problem is that you need a way to easily make
links of multiple words, say "Ruby Word" would have to act like
RubyWord in a normal Wiki.

Another thing I miss is the linkback, where you click the title of a
page, and you see a list of all the links to that page.

How far are you planning to take this wiki Thomas?

Regards,
Douglas

gabriele renzi

Bill Atkins ha scritto:
> It looks like it only creates a link if a page with that name exists,
> so unless you have a page named "In" Soks wouldn't autolink that word.
>
> +1 to the author
>
> Bill

yup, what I meant was "what if someone creates 'In', "To" and "A"
pages?" Would that suddenly mess up the wiki? What if the only one
allowed to delete pages is the admin so noone else can fix this?

Probably it would just make sense to avoid pages with a name < 4 or
something like that. And probably the author himself have already though
of this :)

James Britt

Thomas Counsell wrote:
> http://rubyforge.org/proj...
>
> Soks is yet another wiki. Sorry about that. It was written mainly for my
> own gratification and in no way reflects on the quality of other wikis
> available, nor on the fact that my time could probably have been better
> spent on improving one of them. As is always the way, none of them was
> quite right for me, and I've been enjoying using it to learn ruby.

Sweet! I just installed it on a Win2K box.

Chuckle... "With Soks, there really *is* no step three!" (TM)

Time to play around ...

James

PS

A suggestion: Make the pages use XHTML transitional, or at least HTML
4.01, with a proper doctype and all that w3c stuff.

I may go hack this up now ...

Alexey Verkhovsky

James Britt wrote:

> Chuckle... "With Soks, there really *is* no step three!" (TM)

If you refer to a certain Instiki bug (not creating storage/2500
directory on startup), it has been fixed in release 0.9.2 :)

Brgds,
Alex