Oracle and Rails

Graham Foster

1/10/2005 8:55:00 PM

Perhaps not he right pleace - but is any work being done to make
Rails work with Oracle. Until I can connect Rails to an existing
"serious" database (corporate speak), then I won't get Rails (or
Ruby) considered as a serious web development framework. I guess what
is really needed is a DBI style level of indirection for any database.
Is it coming?
Graham
18 Answers

David Heinemeier Hansson

> Perhaps not he right pleace - but is any work being done to make
> Rails work with Oracle. Until I can connect Rails to an existing
> "serious" database (corporate speak), then I won't get Rails (or
> Ruby) considered as a serious web development framework. I guess what
> is really needed is a DBI style level of indirection for any database.

We just added drivers for DB2 and MS SQL Server, so I'd say we got two
"serious" databases covered. And Maik, the author of the DB2 adapter,
already has much of the Oracle adapter running. So yes, it's coming.
And looks to be fairly shortly too.
--
David Heinemeier Hansson,
http://www.basec... -- Web-based Project Management

Tobias Luetke

If you feel adventurous there is a research ticket #451 in the bug
tracker which seems to implement some of oci8

http://dev.rubyonrails.com/...

--
Tobi
http://www.h... - Open source book authoring

William Black

"Maria" <oldwoman@theshoe.com> wrote in message
> William Black wrote:
>> "Maria" <oldwoman@theshoe.com> wrote in message
>>> Anyone see the frustration on the face of the newsreader on the BBC this
>>> morning when he asked if taxes would have to be raised, yes or no?
>>>
>>> How much longer do we have to put up with these bots?
>>
>> No-one in politics has any choice left.
>>
>> Even the Tory party said last week that if they got into power any
>> possible changes will be limited by the current economic situation.
>>
>> Essentially, there isn't any money left because greedy stupid bankers
>> have blown the lot and every government in the world has spent all their
>> income for the next several year propping the system up.
>>
>> It doesn't matter what any political party in just about any country
>> promises for the next five years or so, there isn't any money to do
>> anything.
>>

> So is that a yes or a no?

It's a 'yes'.

Of course taxes will have to go up to pay for the current cock-up.

Your bank has made a mess of your life and there's nothing you can do about
it.

It doesn't matter who is in power here or anywhere else much, the bankers
did for us all with their greed and stupidity.

They've screwed it up and now they'll all get paid a million quid each to go
away whilst some other imbecile with a very expensive suit tells us all how
he isn't going to make the same mistakes, and there's no alternative to
them so you've GOT to trust them.

I'm starting to think that buying gold bars and sticking them in a sock
under the bed actually may be a reasonable investment policy.

Abelard thinks gold isn't worth investing in, so it's almost certainly a
good bet anyway...

Oh yes, gold isn't a declarable asset.

When you're assessed for tax or anything that's means tested you don't have
to tell them you've got it...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Maria

William Black wrote:
> "Maria" <oldwoman@theshoe.com> wrote in message
>> William Black wrote:
>>> "Maria" <oldwoman@theshoe.com> wrote in message

>>> No-one in politics has any choice left.
>>>
>>> Even the Tory party said last week that if they got into power any
>>> possible changes will be limited by the current economic situation.
>>>
>>> Essentially, there isn't any money left because greedy stupid bankers
>>> have blown the lot and every government in the world has spent all their
>>> income for the next several year propping the system up.
>>>
>>> It doesn't matter what any political party in just about any country
>>> promises for the next five years or so, there isn't any money to do
>>> anything.
>>>
>> So is that a yes or a no?
>
> It's a 'yes'.

Thank you.

> Of course taxes will have to go up to pay for the current cock-up.
>
> Your bank has made a mess of your life and there's nothing you can do about
> it.
>
> It doesn't matter who is in power here or anywhere else much, the bankers
> did for us all with their greed and stupidity.
>
> They've screwed it up and now they'll all get paid a million quid each to go
> away whilst some other imbecile with a very expensive suit tells us all how
> he isn't going to make the same mistakes, and there's no alternative to
> them so you've GOT to trust them.
>
> I'm starting to think that buying gold bars and sticking them in a sock
> under the bed actually may be a reasonable investment policy.
>
> Abelard thinks gold isn't worth investing in, so it's almost certainly a
> good bet anyway...
>
> Oh yes, gold isn't a declarable asset.
>
> When you're assessed for tax or anything that's means tested you don't have
> to tell them you've got it...

Why is that?

Redman

"William Black" <william.black@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Maria" <oldwoman@theshoe.com> wrote in message
>> William Black wrote:
>>> "Maria" <oldwoman@theshoe.com> wrote in message

>>> No-one in politics has any choice left.
>>>
>>> Even the Tory party said last week that if they got into power any
>>> possible changes will be limited by the current economic situation.
>>>
>>> Essentially, there isn't any money left because greedy stupid bankers
>>> have blown the lot and every government in the world has spent all their
>>> income for the next several year propping the system up.
>>>
>>> It doesn't matter what any political party in just about any country
>>> promises for the next five years or so, there isn't any money to do
>>> anything.
>>>

>> So is that a yes or a no?
>
> It's a 'yes'.
>
> Of course taxes will have to go up to pay for the current cock-up.
>
> Your bank has made a mess of your life and there's nothing you can do
> about it.
>
> It doesn't matter who is in power here or anywhere else much, the bankers
> did for us all with their greed and stupidity.
>
> They've screwed it up and now they'll all get paid a million quid each to
> go away whilst some other imbecile with a very expensive suit tells us all
> how he isn't going to make the same mistakes, and there's no alternative
> to them so you've GOT to trust them.
>
> I'm starting to think that buying gold bars and sticking them in a sock
> under the bed actually may be a reasonable investment policy.
>
> Abelard thinks gold isn't worth investing in, so it's almost certainly a
> good bet anyway...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, fuck William I haven't laughed so much in
ages, thanks for that snippet from loony tunes Abelard, he's a class one
dingbat, Gold not worth investing in, I've heard it all now, ffs. That's a
classic.

Redman

abelard

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 12:29:14 +0100, "William Black"
<william.black@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>"Maria" <oldwoman@theshoe.com> wrote in message
>> William Black wrote:
>>> "Maria" <oldwoman@theshoe.com> wrote in message

>>> No-one in politics has any choice left.
>>>
>>> Even the Tory party said last week that if they got into power any
>>> possible changes will be limited by the current economic situation.
>>>
>>> Essentially, there isn't any money left because greedy stupid bankers
>>> have blown the lot and every government in the world has spent all their
>>> income for the next several year propping the system up.
>>>
>>> It doesn't matter what any political party in just about any country
>>> promises for the next five years or so, there isn't any money to do
>>> anything.
>>>

>> So is that a yes or a no?
>
>It's a 'yes'.
>
>Of course taxes will have to go up to pay for the current cock-up.
>
>Your bank has made a mess of your life and there's nothing you can do about
>it.

>It doesn't matter who is in power here or anywhere else much, the bankers
>did for us all with their greed and stupidity.

yeah sure, there'll be less cars and less corn next year because
a few numbers have changed in a few computers....

you're as economically illiterate as the clown....

>They've screwed it up and now they'll all get paid a million quid each to go
>away whilst some other imbecile with a very expensive suit tells us all how
>he isn't going to make the same mistakes, and there's no alternative to
>them so you've GOT to trust them.
>
>I'm starting to think that buying gold bars and sticking them in a sock
>under the bed actually may be a reasonable investment policy.

go for it....

--
web site at www.abelard.org - news comment service, logic, economics
energy, education, politics, etc 1,552,396 document calls in year past

> William Black wrote:

>> Oh yes, gold isn't a declarable asset.
>>
>> When you're assessed for tax or anything that's means tested you don't
>> have to tell them you've got it...
>>

> Why is that?

The reality is that they can't realistically check what you've got, the
justification is that gold can be acquired as 'coin of the realm' and so it,
like the currency in your pocket, isn't checked.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

William Black

"abelard" <abelard3@abelard.org> wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 12:29:14 +0100, "William Black"
> <william.black@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>"Maria" <oldwoman@theshoe.com> wrote in message

>>> So is that a yes or a no?
>>
>>It's a 'yes'.
>>
>>Of course taxes will have to go up to pay for the current cock-up.
>>
>>Your bank has made a mess of your life and there's nothing you can do
>>about
>>it.
>
>>It doesn't matter who is in power here or anywhere else much, the bankers
>>did for us all with their greed and stupidity.
>
> yeah sure, there'll be less cars and less corn next year because
> a few numbers have changed in a few computers....
>
> you're as economically illiterate as the clown....

You don't get it do you.

Six months ago you were muttering idiocies about how clever the US economic
planners were and how we'd see evidence of this genius 'real soon now'.

Except that it has all turned to shit...

And now the US and UK governments have spent all the money (and I do mean
ALL THE MONEY) on holding up the banking system because if they don't we'll
all be living in huts and eating mud in about a year.

Look idiot.

The your 'financial genius' bankers have lost all the money by lending it to
people you wouldn't give 25p for a cup of tea and suddenly discovering that
they won't pay it back.

The system is broken, it'll take half a decade to get back to where we were
a year ago.

If we're lucky China and India won't starve, but expect famine in Africa
any day now.

The rest of us get to keep what we have, unless you work for a bank, in
which case you may well get a chance to find out all about our wonderful
social security scheme and how much it pays in reality...

Unless you're a boss at a bank, in which case they'll give you a million
quid and send you home to your big house and you'll never have any financial
difficulties ever again...

Now, tell us what the Tories are going to do about it...

Oh yes, and while you're there I'd love some sort of explanation about
hybrid cars that are going to save the world that you seem to have forgotten
about...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

abelard

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 13:37:59 +0100, "William Black"
<william.black@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>"abelard" <abelard3@abelard.org> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 12:29:14 +0100, "William Black"
>> <william.black@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>

>>>"Maria" <oldwoman@theshoe.com> wrote in message

>>>It's a 'yes'.
>>>
>>>Of course taxes will have to go up to pay for the current cock-up.
>>>
>>>Your bank has made a mess of your life and there's nothing you can do
>>>about
>>>it.
>>
>>>It doesn't matter who is in power here or anywhere else much, the bankers
>>>did for us all with their greed and stupidity.
>>
>> yeah sure, there'll be less cars and less corn next year because
>> a few numbers have changed in a few computers....
>>
>> you're as economically illiterate as the clown....
>
>You don't get it do you.

of course i 'get it'.....of course i realise you're none-too-bright...
that has been obvious from shortly after you began posting

>Six months ago you were muttering idiocies about how clever the US economic
>planners were and how we'd see evidence of this genius 'real soon now'.

the usa planners are still doing just fine.....

you really should stop reading the leftist fossil media....

your brain rot is quite far enough advanced without that......

>Except that it has all turned to shit...
>
>And now the US and UK governments have spent all the money (and I do mean
>ALL THE MONEY) on holding up the banking system because if they don't we'll
>all be living in huts and eating mud in about a year.

rotf....

>Look idiot.
>
>The your 'financial genius' bankers have lost all the money by lending it to
>people you wouldn't give 25p for a cup of tea and suddenly discovering that
>they won't pay it back.

so what genius?
so what?

do stop repeating the leftist cliches and start making real statements
about the real world....

>The system is broken, it'll take half a decade to get back to where we were
>a year ago.

god you're thik beyond belief....
who wants to 'get back to' anywhere...wherever anywhere may be....

>If we're lucky China and India won't starve, but expect famine in Africa
>any day now.

wow...a new phenomenon....starvation in africa.....
next it'll be the plagues of egypt of even a flood in china....

>The rest of us get to keep what we have, unless you work for a bank, in
>which case you may well get a chance to find out all about our wonderful
>social security scheme and how much it pays in reality...

you should take your act on tour....you'd have jasper carrot
frightened

>Unless you're a boss at a bank, in which case they'll give you a million
>quid and send you home to your big house and you'll never have any financial
>difficulties ever again...

holy cow batman....
a few bankers have a million...will the rain never ever stop....

>Now, tell us what the Tories are going to do about it...

go read at their site.....
though there's little chance you'll 'get it'....
http://www.conservatives.com/tile.do?def=news.li...

you're not even ready for infant's class....
how on earth do you expect to get any grip on the world economy?

>Oh yes, and while you're there I'd love some sort of explanation about
>hybrid cars that are going to save the world that you seem to have forgotten
>about...

at least 250,000 in california so far....

go pick your teeth granpop.....it wasn't like this in your young
days eh :-)

--

> On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 13:37:59 +0100, "William Black"
> <william.black@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>Six months ago you were muttering idiocies about how clever the US
>>economic
>>planners were and how we'd see evidence of this genius 'real soon now'.
>
> the usa planners are still doing just fine.....

You're insane.

Every investment bank in the USA and most of the mortgage market just either
got shut down or nationalised, without compensation to the owners.

That's NATIONALISED WITHOUT COMPENSATION, you know, just like Cuba and
China did to the US assetts after their revolutions...

It doesn't matter now who gets elected there . If they're lucky they'll
have just enough spare cash for a big party once every three months...

>>Now, tell us what the Tories are going to do about it...
>
> go read at their site.....
> though there's little chance you'll 'get it'....
> http://www.conservatives.com/tile.do?def=news.li...

That's all 'knocking copy'.

God you're stupid.

Let's look at what the Tories have actually said so far, and to be honest
they've not said much...

Here's George Osborne, the Shadow Chancelor:
"The situation in the financial markets is very serious. We support the
merger of Lloyds TSB and HBOS, and think it is right to suspend competition
questions in the public interest. We will support measures that will
stabilise the banking system."

"In relation to the suspension of competition rules, the test must be what's
in the public interest. In normal times, there might be concern about having
such large high street bank. However at the moment it is in the national
interest temporarily to suspend competition arrangements, as the priority is
to bring stability back to the British banking system."

And your mate David Cameron:

"Anything the prime minister and the government do to help will have my full
support."

Translation:

"Oh shit, there's nothing we can do, we can't even blame the government
because it's not their fault..."

--
William Black

Time for tea.

>>Oh yes, and while you're there I'd love some sort of explanation about
>>hybrid cars that are going to save the world that you seem to have
>>forgotten
>>about...
>
> at least 250,000 in california so far....

They're bloody Toyotas. I've already proved to everyone's satisfaction that
they don't do shit, they're a PR stunt.