Criptography for beginner (Dummies?

Victor Reyes

1/10/2005 4:56:00 PM

Can anyone suggest some good books about Cryptography for a neophyte?

Thank you

Victor

7 Answers

Lyle Johnson

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 01:56:20 +0900, Victor Reyes <victor.reyes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone suggest some good books about Cryptography for a neophyte?

Are you looking for technical or non-technical books?

Bruce Schneier is one of the better authors on this subject. For a
non-technical introduction to some of the issues related to
cryptography, I liked his book "Secrets and Lies" (which is now
available in paperback). For a more technical introduction, there's
his book "Applied Cryptography", which is more along the lines of a
college textbook and will require some good math background.

Hope this helps.

Roland Schmitt

Lyle Johnson schrieb:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 01:56:20 +0900, Victor Reyes <victor.reyes@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Can anyone suggest some good books about Cryptography for a neophyte?
>

> Are you looking for technical or non-technical books?
>
> Bruce Schneier is one of the better authors on this subject. For a
> non-technical introduction to some of the issues related to
> cryptography, I liked his book "Secrets and Lies" (which is now
> available in paperback). For a more technical introduction, there's
> his book "Applied Cryptography", which is more along the lines of a
> college textbook and will require some good math background.
>
> Hope this helps.

Both books are very good, i think.
Look also at http://www.cacr.math.uwaterl..., there is the "Handbook of Applied Cryptography" as a pdf-download. You need a good math background too, but it is for free.

Regards,
Roland

Alex Martin Ugalde

Hi Victor,

> Can anyone suggest some good books about Cryptography for a neophyte?

Sure, start with:
Applied Cryptography (http://www.schneier.com/book-ap...)
CODEBREAKERS (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0684831309/qid=1105377049/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/102-8920925-7800956?v=glance&s=books&am...)

Alex

Lyle Johnson

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 02:11:36 +0900, Alex Martin Ugalde
<alex.martin@eresmas.com> wrote:

> Sure, start with:
> Applied Cryptography (http://www.schneier.com/book-ap...)
> CODEBREAKERS (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0684831309/qid=1105377049/sr=8-2/ref=pd_csp_2/102-8920925-7800956?v=glance&s=books&am...)

Ah, yes, I forgot about "The Codebreakers". It is sort-of a history
of cryptography, and it is pretty long, but it's a good one too.

Martin DeMello

Victor Reyes <victor.reyes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone suggest some good books about Cryptography for a neophyte?

Simon Singh's "The Code Book" is supposed to be excellent.

martin

Thomas Leitner

I'm currently reading Simon Singh's "The Code Book" and it IS
excellent, tough it is more about the history of cryptography and the
battle between code makers and code breakers.

thomas

Petite Abeille

On Jan 11, 2005, at 11:21, Thomas Leitner wrote:

> I'm currently reading Simon Singh's "The Code Book" and it IS
> excellent, tough it is more about the history of cryptography and the
> battle between code makers and code breakers.

Not strictly about cryptography, but interesting read nonetheless is
Simson Garfinkel's "Database Nation":

http://www.databasen...

Another insensitive to take "opportunistic cryptography" seriously :)

And, as an additional reading for those long winter nights, Ian Grigg's
"WYTM?":

http://iang.org/ssl...

Cheers,

PA.