Ruby IDEs for Mac OS X (native)?

Dr. Scott Steinman

1/10/2005 12:15:00 AM

I've noticed that a couple of the cross-platform Ruby IDEs can run on
Mac OS X, but only at a low level (using X11), not natively (with an
Aqua interface).

Are any native OS X Ruby IDEs available that are being actively
developed?

Thank you.

Dr. Scott Steinman
Southern College of Optometry
9 Answers

otaku

RubyEclipse

http://rubyeclipse.source...

Dr. Scott Steinman wrote:
> I've noticed that a couple of the cross-platform Ruby IDEs can run on
> Mac OS X, but only at a low level (using X11), not natively (with an
> Aqua interface).
>
> Are any native OS X Ruby IDEs available that are being actively
> developed?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Dr. Scott Steinman
> Southern College of Optometry

gabriele renzi

Dr. Scott Steinman ha scritto:
> I've noticed that a couple of the cross-platform Ruby IDEs can run on
> Mac OS X, but only at a low level (using X11), not natively (with an
> Aqua interface).
>
> Are any native OS X Ruby IDEs available that are being actively
> developed?
>
> Thank you.

well, freeride's gui is just another plugin. It is planned to have a
wxruby gui that would look native on osx, but no effort started yet. It
should not be too hard, anyway, maybe a good idea for a codefest :)

Lothar Scholz

Hello gabriele,

gr> Dr. Scott Steinman ha scritto:
>> I've noticed that a couple of the cross-platform Ruby IDEs can run on
>> Mac OS X, but only at a low level (using X11), not natively (with an
>> Aqua interface).
>>
>> Are any native OS X Ruby IDEs available that are being actively
>> developed?
>>
>> Thank you.

gr> well, freeride's gui is just another plugin. It is planned to have a
gr> wxruby gui that would look native on osx, but no effort started yet. It
gr> should not be too hard, anyway, maybe a good idea for a codefest :)

Is scintilla already ported to Cocoa/Carbon ?

Lothar Scholz http://www.ru...

gabriele renzi

Lothar Scholz ha scritto:

> gr> well, freeride's gui is just another plugin. It is planned to have a
> gr> wxruby gui that would look native on osx, but no effort started yet. It
> gr> should not be too hard, anyway, maybe a good idea for a codefest :)
>
> Is scintilla already ported to Cocoa/Carbon ?

I know almost nothing about wxwidget, but since it claims full cross
platform portability, and wxStyledTextCtrl(scintilla wrapper) is part of
the wx distribution I'd expect it is 'yes'.
I.E. the SPE editor seem to run on OSX:
http://spe.pycs.net/pictures/640x4...

But given you're writing IDEs you may be more informed than me on the
argument :)

Thomas Counsell

Depends on your definition of IDE. If it is 'big' then afaik, no.
Nothing cocoa.

Eclipse runs in java and so looks pretty close to native and the
rubyeclipse plug-in mentioned by Otaku is handy and free, however some
bits of eclipse do feel a bit non-mac.

If your desire is more limited to text-editor+ then TextMate (?39)
http://macro... is pretty handy, and appears to have been
written with ruby and rails top of mind.

If your desire is even more limited, then SubEthaEdit (free for non
commercial) is very clean - http://www.codingmonkeys.de/su...

If you want something that will allow you to develop native Mac OS X
guis, then you can use Mac's XCode together with rubycocoa
(http://www.fobj.com/...) to draw them.

As an aside, I have occasionally tinkered with the idea of writing a
'big' native IDE in rubycocoa. I don't think it would be too hard
given cocoa's handy toolbox of components. If anyone is interested in
collaborating on one, or feels a big need for such a thing, then let me
know.

Tom

----
Tom Counsell. http://tom.co...

On 10 Jan 2005, at 00:21, Dr. Scott Steinman wrote:

> I've noticed that a couple of the cross-platform Ruby IDEs can run on
> Mac OS X, but only at a low level (using X11), not natively (with an
> Aqua interface).
>
> Are any native OS X Ruby IDEs available that are being actively
> developed?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Dr. Scott Steinman
> Southern College of Optometry

Nick

gabriele renzi wrote:
> Lothar Scholz ha scritto:
>
>> gr> well, freeride's gui is just another plugin. It is planned to have a
>> gr> wxruby gui that would look native on osx, but no effort started
>> yet. It
>> gr> should not be too hard, anyway, maybe a good idea for a codefest :)
>>
>> Is scintilla already ported to Cocoa/Carbon ?
>>

> I know almost nothing about wxwidget, but since it claims full cross
> platform portability, and wxStyledTextCtrl(scintilla wrapper) is part of
> the wx distribution I'd expect it is 'yes'.
> I.E. the SPE editor seem to run on OSX:
> http://spe.pycs.net/pictures/640x4...
>
> But given you're writing IDEs you may be more informed than me on the
> argument :)

wxWidgets already has a wrapper for SciTilla, and it works alright on
Mac OS X. I'll add it to the wxruby widgets.

Nick

Tobias Luetke

Personally i'm in love with textmate.

--
Tobi
http://www.h... - Open source book authoring

Dr. Scott Steinman

Thanks for the responses. I would have replied sooner, but I was very
sick today (horrible migraine attack).

Dr. Scott Steinman

Ryan Davis

On Jan 10, 2005, at 5:45 AM, Thomas Counsell wrote:

> If you want something that will allow you to develop native Mac OS X
> guis, then you can use Mac's XCode together with rubycocoa
> (http://www.fobj.com/...) to draw them.

You aren't limited to Interface Builder. You can use XCode to edit ruby
source complete with syntax coloring, class/function popup, and
multiple files in the project.