Ruby on AIX?

Andreas Semt

1/7/2005 6:34:00 PM

Hello list!

Anybody who uses Ruby on an AIX machine (version 5.2 or higher)?
Just in case I have to work with such a system in the near future ...

Thanks for some info!
Best regards,
Andreas Semt

23 Answers

Austin Moody

I've been using Ruby on AIX (both 4.3 and 5.2) and it hasn't been easy.

Actually the latest release of 1.8.2 compiled for me perfectly, except
for the Socket library. This is a problem I'm yet to figured out.
--austin

Andreas Semt

Austin Moody wrote:

> I've been using Ruby on AIX (both 4.3 and 5.2) and it hasn't been easy.
>
> Actually the latest release of 1.8.2 compiled for me perfectly, except
> for the Socket library. This is a problem I'm yet to figured out.
> --austin

Hello Austin!

Thanks for the answer.
So i can use the README instructions to compile and install Ruby? Or
does i have to use some "tricks" to get it done? If you figured the
Socket library problem out, let me (and the list) know!

Greetings,
Andreas

Victor Reyes

I also use Ruby in AIX, but I have problems every now and then.
I have 66 RS/6000 (AIX) servers and I have problems with many of then
installing Ruby. Furthermore, on the system running AIX 5.2, I can't
get socket support.
So, since I work on a distributed environment where we distribute the
same scripts to every server, and since Ruby refuse to work on every
server, I had to remove it from all. Too bad since I really like Ruby.
So, I went back to Korn Shell and Perl.
Oh well, the story of my life.

Victor

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 04:51:26 +0900, Austin Moody <austin.moody@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been using Ruby on AIX (both 4.3 and 5.2) and it hasn't been easy.
>
> Actually the latest release of 1.8.2 compiled for me perfectly, except
> for the Socket library. This is a problem I'm yet to figured out.
> --austin

Andreas Semt

Victor Reyes wrote:
> I also use Ruby in AIX, but I have problems every now and then.
> I have 66 RS/6000 (AIX) servers and I have problems with many of then
> installing Ruby. Furthermore, on the system running AIX 5.2, I can't
> get socket support.
> So, since I work on a distributed environment where we distribute the
> same scripts to every server, and since Ruby refuse to work on every
> server, I had to remove it from all. Too bad since I really like Ruby.
> So, I went back to Korn Shell and Perl.
> Oh well, the story of my life.
>
> Victor

A sad story. Really. Sorry for you.

Greetings,
Andreas

Andreas Semt

Is someone currently working on a "port" for Ruby on AIX?
This would be *really* great ... a working socket library on AIX in the
future.

Greetings,
Andreas

Matt Lawrence

KUBO Takehiro

At Sun, 9 Jan 2005 01:38:23 +0900,
Andreas Semt wrote:

> Is someone currently working on a "port" for Ruby on AIX?
> This would be *really* great ... a working socket library on AIX in the
> future.

I have successfully compiled socket.so on AIX 4.3.3 and ruby 1.8.2.
(1) run configure script with '--disable-ipv6'.
(2) add '-eInit_socket' to DLDFLAGS in 'ext/socket/Makefile'.

./configure --disable-ipv6
vi ext/socket/Makefile
make

A very very simple one liner runs successfully:
ruby -rsocket -e "p Socket"

But, sorry, I have not test whether it actually works or not.
I don't know how to use it.

--
KUBO Takehiro
kubo@jiubao.org

Matt Lawrence

nobu.nokada

At Sat, 15 Jan 2005 07:18:25 +0900,
Matt Lawrence wrote in [ruby-talk:126507]:
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005, KUBO Takehiro wrote:
>
> > I have successfully compiled socket.so on AIX 4.3.3 and ruby 1.8.2.
> > (1) run configure script with '--disable-ipv6'.
> > (2) add '-eInit_socket' to DLDFLAGS in 'ext/socket/Makefile'.

Does it direct the entry point or to export the symbol?
Anyway, -eInit_foo option is required on AIX in general?

> Ok, that seems to work on AIX 5.1. However, it gets a Segmentation fault
> in socket.so when I go to run it. Help?

Can you show the stack trace?

--
Nobu Nakada

KUBO Takehiro

At Sat, 15 Jan 2005 10:01:09 +0900,
nobu.nokada@softhome.net wrote:
> > > I have successfully compiled socket.so on AIX 4.3.3 and ruby 1.8.2.
> > > (1) run configure script with '--disable-ipv6'.
> > > (2) add '-eInit_socket' to DLDFLAGS in 'ext/socket/Makefile'.
>
> Does it direct the entry point or to export the symbol?

It directs the entry point.

> Anyway, -eInit_foo option is required on AIX in general?

I can't say about other AIX platforms.
As far as in my environment each extionsion library requires -eInit_foo.

> > Ok, that seems to work on AIX 5.1. However, it gets a Segmentation fault
> > in socket.so when I go to run it. Help?

The following sample works correctly on AIX 5.2 by adding -eInit_socket.

require 'net/http'
Net::HTTP.start('www.example.com', 80) { |http|
response = http.get('/index.html')
puts response.body