Re: [SUMMARY] Cryptograms (#13

Vance A Heron

1/7/2005 9:02:00 AM

Late response, with a question about the solvabilty of these
kind of problems in general.

I used a similar approach and get similar answers to Glenns, only
much slower (although mine finishes in finite time :) When running
Glens program, I get many partial solutions in < 1 Sec (including most
that my program finds) - then his progam consumes 99% of my CPU
time indefinately. On my PC, mine runs in ~10 S for crypto1
(partial answer) ~16 S for crypto2, full correct answer,
and ~80 S for crypto3, producing garbage. (can I buy a
vowel? :)

Actually I added the ablity to provide a partial map
to help prime the solver - still cant make sense of crypto3.

The main question I have is how does one handle non-dictionary
words that match a dictionary word signature - and then force
other wrong choices. The specific case is "alva" which can
map to "aqua". Once I have "aqua" as plain text, it prevents
the solver from using the letter 'u' in genius - making that
word match denims.

In fact I can envsion quotes with non-dictionary words that
could map, wrongly, to a set of all dictionary words - i.e.
the solution with 1 or more "unsolved" words would be more
correct than the solution with no unsolved words...

There's also the situation of "bent, cent, vent, went" - where
the choice of any of them doesn't affect any other words in the
cypher text - providing no help selecting between them.

In both these cases, I don't think backtracking can help - other
than to provide a number of possible solutions that a person
could read and pick from?

Addionally, while I agree that brute force w/26! possible maps
is impractial, after a certain point, would it make sense to
use the brute force approach for the "remaining" letters -
somwhere in the 8-10 letters remaining?

Thanks to all involved in providing this - been reading for a
while, but this is my first try at solving one ... took *way*
more time than I intended, but was lots of fun. Looking forward
to more in the future.

Vance
1 Answer

James Gray

On Jan 7, 2005, at 3:02 AM, Vance A Heron wrote:

> (can I buy a vowel? :)

As I told Glenn, I was insanely busy this week and couldn't quite steal
the time to try this quiz. Which is a real shame because I think it
was a great problem.

However, one of my ideas for pruning was to toss out mappings that
didn't put "reasonable" vowels in every word. I'm not sure how well
that works in practice though, since I didn't code it up. Just a
thought.

James Edward Gray II