[ANN] Logtails 0.2 : a totally usable version

Bauduin Raphael

I'm happy to announce the second public version of logtails. This
version is a big improvements on v0.1 (see below).

Again, big thanks to Richard Dale for his help and feedback on using
Korundum!

Raph

If you need to watch log files and are tired of opening tens of
terminals and ssh to a remote host to run a tail -f, logtails could be
for you! I've started this project out of this need and it's starting to
fill it. Suggestions are welcome. I'm especially interested in feedback
from people using net-ssh not installed as a gem.

*Improvements:

-Opening of local file is possible with KDE's "open file" dialog
-Filter lines: enter regexps that either reject the line (meaning it
isn't displayed) or force the line's display (even if there's a regexps
that would normally reject it).
-Tooltips on the text output show you which patterns are accepted and
which are rejected
-One files' lines can be displayed in different tabs, each tab applying
different filters.
-A file, local or remote, that is already monitored can be reused
without entering any info. No new connection or process is started,
internal buffers are used.
-When requesting a new remote tail, the current user's login is the
default value for the ssh login
-When requesting a new remote tail, an existing remote tail's parameters
can be used as the base of this new tail, only changing the file eg.
-Internally, the code is a bit better structured.

*Known problems:

-Tabs can't be closed
-key based authentication is needed to open an ssh connection
-The drop down in the dialog to open a local file sometimes gets too
much expanded
-Adding an accepted regexp doesn't make all other lines rejected by
default. If the user enters an accepted patterns, it's supposed that
(s)he doesn't want lines without that pattern to be displayed.

* Plans for the future:
-Correcting know problems ;-)
-Add configuration items and history
-Highlighting of text that triggered the display of the line
-Saving a tab's content to a file
-Printing a tab's content
-Enable search
-Better use of KDE's infrastructure
-Merge 2 files' output in one tab
-Add a change indicator in the tab selector

5 Answers

Curt Hibbs

Does this work on Windows?

Thanks,
Curt

Bauduin Raphael wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm happy to announce the second public version of logtails. This
> version is a big improvements on v0.1 (see below).
>
> Again, big thanks to Richard Dale for his help and feedback on using
> Korundum!
>
> Raph

> If you need to watch log files and are tired of opening tens of
> terminals and ssh to a remote host to run a tail -f, logtails could be
> for you! I've started this project out of this need and it's starting to
> fill it. Suggestions are welcome. I'm especially interested in feedback
> from people using net-ssh not installed as a gem.
>

> *Improvements:
>
> -Opening of local file is possible with KDE's "open file" dialog
> -Filter lines: enter regexps that either reject the line (meaning it
> isn't displayed) or force the line's display (even if there's a regexps
> that would normally reject it).
> -Tooltips on the text output show you which patterns are accepted and
> which are rejected
> -One files' lines can be displayed in different tabs, each tab applying
> different filters.
> -A file, local or remote, that is already monitored can be reused
> without entering any info. No new connection or process is started,
> internal buffers are used.
> -When requesting a new remote tail, the current user's login is the
> default value for the ssh login
> -When requesting a new remote tail, an existing remote tail's parameters
> can be used as the base of this new tail, only changing the file eg.
> -Internally, the code is a bit better structured.
>
> *Known problems:
>
> -Tabs can't be closed
> -key based authentication is needed to open an ssh connection
> -The drop down in the dialog to open a local file sometimes gets too
> much expanded
> -Adding an accepted regexp doesn't make all other lines rejected by
> default. If the user enters an accepted patterns, it's supposed that
> (s)he doesn't want lines without that pattern to be displayed.
>
> * Plans for the future:
> -Correcting know problems ;-)
> -Add configuration items and history
> -Highlighting of text that triggered the display of the line
> -Saving a tab's content to a file
> -Printing a tab's content
> -Enable search
> -Better use of KDE's infrastructure
> -Merge 2 files' output in one tab
> -Add a change indicator in the tab selector

Richard Dale

Curt Hibbs wrote:

> Does this work on Windows?
Yes, in principle. PerlQt has been ported to windows, and it is a sister
project of QtRuby, using the same language independent autogenerated
'Smoke' library and a very similar runtime:

http://www.cubicle.net/~ryan/softwa...

But Qt is only Free Software on non-Windows platforms, so you would really
need a commercially licensed version of Qt for this. PyQt has a dual
license - you can either use the GPL version, or buy a commercial license
in addition to a Qt commercial license. So that might be a possibility for
QtRuby in the future if the demand was there.

It's unlikely that KDE and the Korundum superset of QtRuby will run on
Windows anytime soon though, and logtails would need to be ported from
Korundum to QtRuby first.

-- Richard

Raphael Bauduin

Bauduin Raphael wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm happy to announce the second public version of logtails. This
> version is a big improvements on v0.1 (see below).

No, no, I didn't think everybody put logtails' page on rubyforge as their homepage,
it just got lost in the edition of the announcement....

http://rubyforge.org/project...

Raph

> Again, big thanks to Richard Dale for his help and feedback on using
> Korundum!
>
> Raph

> If you need to watch log files and are tired of opening tens of
> terminals and ssh to a remote host to run a tail -f, logtails could be
> for you! I've started this project out of this need and it's starting to
> fill it. Suggestions are welcome. I'm especially interested in feedback
> from people using net-ssh not installed as a gem.
>

> *Improvements:
>
> -Opening of local file is possible with KDE's "open file" dialog
> -Filter lines: enter regexps that either reject the line (meaning it
> isn't displayed) or force the line's display (even if there's a regexps
> that would normally reject it).
> -Tooltips on the text output show you which patterns are accepted and
> which are rejected
> -One files' lines can be displayed in different tabs, each tab applying
> different filters.
> -A file, local or remote, that is already monitored can be reused
> without entering any info. No new connection or process is started,
> internal buffers are used.
> -When requesting a new remote tail, the current user's login is the
> default value for the ssh login
> -When requesting a new remote tail, an existing remote tail's parameters
> can be used as the base of this new tail, only changing the file eg.
> -Internally, the code is a bit better structured.
>
> *Known problems:
>
> -Tabs can't be closed
> -key based authentication is needed to open an ssh connection
> -The drop down in the dialog to open a local file sometimes gets too
> much expanded
> -Adding an accepted regexp doesn't make all other lines rejected by
> default. If the user enters an accepted patterns, it's supposed that
> (s)he doesn't want lines without that pattern to be displayed.
>
> * Plans for the future:
> -Correcting know problems ;-)
> -Add configuration items and history
> -Highlighting of text that triggered the display of the line
> -Saving a tab's content to a file
> -Printing a tab's content
> -Enable search
> -Better use of KDE's infrastructure
> -Merge 2 files' output in one tab
> -Add a change indicator in the tab selector

Josef 'Jupp' Schugt

tony summerfelt

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 06:05:58 +0900, you wrote:

>Does this work on Windows?

i couldn't get it to work, but i didn't work that hard on it...

for tailing multiple logs i use a pager program called 'most' that
originally started on unix, but compiles/has binaries for windows.

http://www.jedsoft...

http://home.cogeco.ca/~ts...
telnet://ventedspleen.dyndns.org