MySQL DBD now working on my Windows XP box

Jim Menard

1/6/2005 8:10:00 PM

I've been struggling with getting MySQL working on my work box running Windows
XP. I installed DBI and DBD but kept seeing errors. Here are the two actions
that finally got it running:

1) Downloaded mysql.so from
http://seagecko.org/thoughts/2004/09/09/ruby-mysql-an... (thanks,
Justin) and installed it in /ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i386-msvcrt. That
changed my error message to one that said something like "can't find
mysql_character_code_somethingorother in LIBMYSQL.DLL".

2) Copied /mysql/lib/opt/libmysql.dll to /windows/system32, replacing the
libmySQL.dll that was already there.

Now I can use DBI and---even better---Rails on my work box. Yay! I hope these
two tips help somebody else.

Jim
--
Jim Menard, jimm@io.com, http://www.io...

4 Answers

Curt Hibbs

Jim Menard wrote:

> I've been struggling with getting MySQL working on my work box
> running Windows
> XP. I installed DBI and DBD but kept seeing errors. Here are the
> two actions
> that finally got it running:
>
> 1) Downloaded mysql.so from
> http://seagecko.org/thoughts/2004/09/09/ruby-mysql-an... (thanks,
> Justin) and installed it in
> /ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i386-msvcrt. That
> changed my error message to one that said something like "can't find
> mysql_character_code_somethingorother in LIBMYSQL.DLL".
>
> 2) Copied /mysql/lib/opt/libmysql.dll to /windows/system32, replacing the
> libmySQL.dll that was already there.
>
> Now I can use DBI and---even better---Rails on my work box. Yay!
> I hope these
> two tips help somebody else.

I'm not sure why you had to go to all that trouble... for me, I just
installed Ruby with te One-Click installer and them at the command line ran
"gem install rails" (which includes MySQL support). I can then use MySQL
with Rails -- no problem (I never tried DBI or DBD, though).

Curt

Sarah Tanembaum

Curt Hibbs wrote:
> Jim Menard wrote:
>
>>I've been struggling with getting MySQL working on my work box
>>running Windows
>>XP. I installed DBI and DBD but kept seeing errors. Here are the
>>two actions
>>that finally got it running:
>>
>>1) Downloaded mysql.so from
>>http://seagecko.org/thoughts/2004/09/09/ruby-mysql-an... (thanks,
>>Justin) and installed it in
>>/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i386-msvcrt. That
>>changed my error message to one that said something like "can't find
>>mysql_character_code_somethingorother in LIBMYSQL.DLL".
>>
>>2) Copied /mysql/lib/opt/libmysql.dll to /windows/system32, replacing the
>>libmySQL.dll that was already there.
>>
>>Now I can use DBI and---even better---Rails on my work box. Yay!
>>I hope these
>>two tips help somebody else.
>

> I'm not sure why you had to go to all that trouble... for me, I just
> installed Ruby with te One-Click installer and them at the command line ran
> "gem install rails" (which includes MySQL support). I can then use MySQL
> with Rails -- no problem (I never tried DBI or DBD, though).
>
> Curt

Not really! Is this okay or I did something wrong ..

This is what I got ... after One-Click installer, I tried to install
Rails ...

c:\apps\ruby>gem install rails
Attempting local installation of 'rails'
Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
Successfully installed rails, version 0.9.3
Installing RDoc documentation for rails-0.9.3...
WARNING: Generating RDoc on .gem that may not have RDoc.

lib/binding_of_caller.rb:4:25: Couldn't find Continuation. Assuming it's
a module

lib/binding_of_caller.rb:36:21: Couldn't find Binding. Assuming it's a
module

lib/rails_generator.rb:34:46: Skipping require of dynamic string:
"#{path}/#{name}_generator.rb"

C:\apps\ruby>

Curt Hibbs

Sarah Tanembaum wrote:

> Curt Hibbs wrote:
> > Jim Menard wrote:
> >
> >>I've been struggling with getting MySQL working on my work box
> >>running Windows
> >>XP. I installed DBI and DBD but kept seeing errors. Here are the
> >>two actions
> >>that finally got it running:
> >>
> >>1) Downloaded mysql.so from
> >>http://seagecko.org/thoughts/2004/09/09/ruby-mysql-an... (thanks,
> >>Justin) and installed it in
> >>/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i386-msvcrt. That
> >>changed my error message to one that said something like "can't find
> >>mysql_character_code_somethingorother in LIBMYSQL.DLL".
> >>
> >>2) Copied /mysql/lib/opt/libmysql.dll to /windows/system32,
> replacing the
> >>libmySQL.dll that was already there.
> >>
> >>Now I can use DBI and---even better---Rails on my work box. Yay!
> >>I hope these
> >>two tips help somebody else.
> >

> > I'm not sure why you had to go to all that trouble... for me, I just
> > installed Ruby with te One-Click installer and them at the
> command line ran
> > "gem install rails" (which includes MySQL support). I can then use MySQL
> > with Rails -- no problem (I never tried DBI or DBD, though).
> >
> > Curt
> >

> Not really! Is this okay or I did something wrong ..
>
> This is what I got ... after One-Click installer, I tried to install
> Rails ...
>
> c:\apps\ruby>gem install rails
> Attempting local installation of 'rails'
> Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
> Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
> Successfully installed rails, version 0.9.3
> Installing RDoc documentation for rails-0.9.3...
> WARNING: Generating RDoc on .gem that may not have RDoc.
>
> lib/binding_of_caller.rb:4:25: Couldn't find Continuation. Assuming it's
> a module
>
> lib/binding_of_caller.rb:36:21: Couldn't find Binding. Assuming it's a
> module
>
> lib/rails_generator.rb:34:46: Skipping require of dynamic string:
> "#{path}/#{name}_generator.rb"
>
> C:\apps\ruby>

Those are just warning messages from RDoc when the RDoc documentation was
getting generated. Unfortunately there is currently no way to suppress them,
and many people are mislead into thinking that something went wrong with the
installation.

Curt

Sarah Tanembaum

Curt Hibbs wrote:
> Sarah Tanembaum wrote:
>
>>Curt Hibbs wrote:

>>replacing the

>>>I'm not sure why you had to go to all that trouble... for me, I just
>>>installed Ruby with te One-Click installer and them at the
>>
>>command line ran
>>
>>>"gem install rails" (which includes MySQL support). I can then use MySQL
>>>with Rails -- no problem (I never tried DBI or DBD, though).
>>>
>>>Curt
>>>

>>Not really! Is this okay or I did something wrong ..
>>
>>This is what I got ... after One-Click installer, I tried to install
>>Rails ...
>>
>>c:\apps\ruby>gem install rails
>>Attempting local installation of 'rails'
>>Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
>>Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
>>Successfully installed rails, version 0.9.3
>>Installing RDoc documentation for rails-0.9.3...
>>WARNING: Generating RDoc on .gem that may not have RDoc.
>>
>>lib/binding_of_caller.rb:4:25: Couldn't find Continuation. Assuming it's
>>a module
>>
>>lib/binding_of_caller.rb:36:21: Couldn't find Binding. Assuming it's a
>>module
>>
>>lib/rails_generator.rb:34:46: Skipping require of dynamic string:
>>"#{path}/#{name}_generator.rb"
>>
>>C:\apps\ruby>
>

> Those are just warning messages from RDoc when the RDoc documentation was
> getting generated. Unfortunately there is currently no way to suppress them,
> and many people are mislead into thinking that something went wrong with the
> installation.
>
> Curt

Thanks for the info. I guess I can just ignore them.