Konfabulator Clone Supports Ruby

Curt Hibbs

1/6/2005 7:44:00 PM

I haven't yet verified this myself (although I plan to), but I just finished
reading this review of Konfabulator on Windows (shareware), but the most
interesting part is the second half of the article which talks about a
freeware Konfabulator clone named Kapsule, that supports writing its widgets
in JavaScript, VB, Python, and Ruby.

You can read the article at:

http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/...

If anyone here's tries it out before me, please post you impressions here.

Thanks,
Curt

1 Answer

why the lucky stiff

Curt Hibbs wrote:

>I haven't yet verified this myself (although I plan to), but I just finished
>reading this review of Konfabulator on Windows (shareware), but the most
>interesting part is the second half of the article which talks about a
>freeware Konfabulator clone named Kapsule, that supports writing its widgets
>in JavaScript, VB, Python, and Ruby.

Ruby is supported through ActiveScriptRuby
[http://arton.hp.info...] which is an experimental version of
Ruby hooked into the Windows Scripting Host. So, anything that supports
WSH can use Ruby. This means IE, traditional ASP, etc. An old Windows
shell called Graphite was really the first desktop environment to allow
WSH scripting.

Unfortunately, the author of Kapsules is working on a new version and
has taken down the antiquated versions of the software to keep us all
from hurting ourselves. If someone can find a download, though, I guess
it comes with a few widgets written in Ruby. It's weather module, for
example, which leverages 'open-uri' ease HTTP. Good idea.

_why