[ANN] foxGUIb - Interactive Fox GUI Builder and Code Generator

henon (meinrad recheis)

1/5/2005 11:58:00 AM

foxGUIb is an interactive gui builder for fxruby written entirely in Ruby.
It does not require much knowledge of the FXRuby API and therefore is
also a good start for fxruby newbies. foxGUIb is a completely redesigned
and rewritten version of the fox-tool project.

Check out the Project Wiki for details and documentation.

http://fox-tool.rubyforge.org/wik...

or the project site at rubyforge

http://www.rubyforge.org/project...

I have been using foxGUIb myself for a about a year at work before I
prepared it for release to the public. I consider it especially useful
because you can tweak your fxruby user interfaces interactively and that
preserves a lot of time, fox-api reading and finger typing.

-henon
35 Answers

Luis G. Gómez

I get:

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
`require__': No such file to load -- fox (LoadError)
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `require'
from ./__FX__.rb:1
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `require__'
from
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `require'
from foxGUIb.rbw:12

When trying to run foxGUIb.rbw

Any sugestions?

henon (meinrad recheis) wrote:
> foxGUIb is an interactive gui builder for fxruby written entirely in Ruby.
> It does not require much knowledge of the FXRuby API and therefore is
> also a good start for fxruby newbies. foxGUIb is a completely redesigned
> and rewritten version of the fox-tool project.
>
> Check out the Project Wiki for details and documentation.
>
> http://fox-tool.rubyforge.org/wik...
>
> or the project site at rubyforge
>
> http://www.rubyforge.org/project...
>
> I have been using foxGUIb myself for a about a year at work before I
> prepared it for release to the public. I consider it especially useful
> because you can tweak your fxruby user interfaces interactively and that
> preserves a lot of time, fox-api reading and finger typing.
>
> -henon

henon (meinrad recheis)

Luis G. Gómez wrote:
> I get:
>
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
> `require__': No such file to load -- fox (LoadError)
> from
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `require'
> from ./__FX__.rb:1
> from
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
> `require__'
> from
> c:/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in `require'
> from foxGUIb.rbw:12
>
> When trying to run foxGUIb.rbw
>
> Any sugestions?

your failure messages look very strange to me, however:

> `require__': No such file to load -- fox (LoadError)

obviously ruby doesn't find FXRuby. it might not be installed on your
system. would it be installed ruby's require should find "fox"

hth,
- henon

Kaspar Schiess

Hello,

> Any sugestions?
Have you installed the Fox GUI library successfully ? Did you try running a
few examples ? What operating system are you running this on ? What Ruby
version ?

In particular, if you type
require 'fox'
in irb, do you get a 'true' back ?

I think this will help us answering your question.

kaspar

hand manufactured code - www.tua.ch/ruby

Richard Lyman

Do you have any screenshots?

Matthew Margolis

I can run foxGUIb fine but I can not run the generated code. I get an
error in regards to
require 'FX'

I have looked over the FXRuby site and the Fox site to figure out what
FX is part of but I am having no luck. Anyone care to help out a gui noob?

Thank you,
Matt Margolis

henon (meinrad recheis)

Matthew Margolis wrote:
> I can run foxGUIb fine but I can not run the generated code. I get an
> error in regards to
> require 'FX'

you find "FX.rb" in the directory foxGUIb/FX/fxrelease. This is my
fault. i should have mentioned in the readme. However it is mentioned in
the UsersGuide on the Project-Wiki.
regards,
- henon

henon (meinrad recheis)

The wiki is probably the best place for feedback.
I would appreciate your feedback most!

http://fox-tool.rubyforge.org/wik...

regards,
- henon

Bill Atkins

Very well done. The UI is well-designed, the code generator works.
Good deal. It would be neat if userscould run the generated code from
within foxGUib.

Bill

--
$stdout.sync = true
"Just another Ruby hacker.".each_byte do |b|

Curt Hibbs

If you have FXRuby 1.0.29 or earlier, you do a require "fox". If you have
FXRuby 1.2.2, you must do a require "fox12". Perhaps this is the problem.

Curt

henon (meinrad recheis)

Curt Hibbs wrote:
> If you have FXRuby 1.0.29 or earlier, you do a require "fox". If you have
> FXRuby 1.2.2, you must do a require "fox12". Perhaps this is the problem.
>
> Curt

Thanks for pointing this out. foxGUIb is currently based on FXRuby
1.0.29. I did never test it with FXRuby 1.2.2.

Porting to the new FXRuby version is one of the next big tasks for me.
- henon