CRUD in ruby

Piergiuliano Bossi

1/4/2005 4:40:00 PM

Hello!

Have you ever needed to develop quickly some CRUD views over RDBMS
tables (typically oracle)? Have you ever tried using <CENSORED> DbForms
and getting crazier day after day?

I wonder if in ruby there is anything better than that. I'm sure there
should be!

I guess there are 2 main areas:
1) webapp
2) desktop gui

While I think that building CRUD in rails should be simple (but I have
never tried and I wonder if there is any alternative), I imagine that
there currently is no solution ready to use as a desktop gui.

What do you think about it?

TIA
Giuliano

--
If you want to send me an email address should be 'p', then a dot,
followed by 'bossi' at 'quinary', another dot and 'com' at last

5 Answers

khaines

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 01:41:33 +0900, Piergiuliano Bossi wrote

> I wonder if in ruby there is anything better than that. I'm sure
> there should be!
>
> I guess there are 2 main areas:
> 1) webapp
> 2) desktop gui
>
> While I think that building CRUD in rails should be simple (but I
> have never tried and I wonder if there is any alternative), I
> imagine that there currently is no solution ready to use as a
> desktop gui.

The desktop GUI is the piece that is missing. One can use Rails, IOWA, or
any of several other Ruby technologies to make the webapp end very easily,
but none of them have any sort of a desktop GUI that one can use to draw the
interface.

Kirk Haines

Alexey Verkhovsky

Piergiuliano Bossi wrote:

> While I think that building CRUD in rails should be simple (but I have
> never tried and I wonder if there is any alternative), I imagine that
> there currently is no solution ready to use as a desktop gui.

If you don't care about what kind of GUI it is, prototyping a CRUD
application in Rails is ridiculously easy, thanks to scaffolding.
Actually building one is not all too difficult, either.

Alex

Piergiuliano Bossi

khaines wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 01:41:33 +0900, Piergiuliano Bossi wrote
>

>>I wonder if in ruby there is anything better than that. I'm sure
>>there should be!
>>
>>I guess there are 2 main areas:
>>1) webapp
>>2) desktop gui
>>
>>While I think that building CRUD in rails should be simple (but I
>>have never tried and I wonder if there is any alternative), I
>>imagine that there currently is no solution ready to use as a
>>desktop gui.
>

> The desktop GUI is the piece that is missing.

Yes

> One can use Rails, IOWA, or
> any of several other Ruby technologies to make the webapp end very easily,

Are they equally viable? Do you have any preferences?

> but none of them have any sort of a desktop GUI that one can use to draw the
> interface.

Exactly what I have thought.

Thanks
Giuliano

--
If you want to send me an email address should be 'p', then a dot,
followed by 'bossi' at 'quinary', another dot and 'com' at last

Piergiuliano Bossi

I'll give it a try. Thanks
Giuliano

--
If you want to send me an email address should be 'p', then a dot,
followed by 'bossi' at 'quinary', another dot and 'com' at last

khaines

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 20:21:31 +0900, Piergiuliano Bossi wrote

> Are they equally viable? Do you have any preferences?

Equally is a tricky word. No. Some definitely have more features, or are
more flexible, or are easier to setup than others.

My preference is for IOWA. It is what I do nearly all of my web work with,
and it's the project I choose to develop. It fits well with how I think and
work and with the way I want my software to function. We also have a small,
but friendly and growing user community. Drop in on freenode.net, on the
IRC channel #IOWA if you want to chat with a few other users.

Rails is another very fine choice, though. There are a lot of people who
are finding a lot of enjoyment and success with it. It has an energetic and
welcoming community that will readily help you to get going with it. They
hang out on freenode.net on the #rubyonrails channel, and there is almost
always activity there.

Arrow and Nitro are two other frameworks with growing communities of users
and support. All of these offer at least some of the elements that you are
interested in, though none offer all of them.

Good luck,

Kirk Haines