ruby2c and dynamic typing

jm

1/4/2005 9:10:00 AM

How does ruby2c handle or plan to handle ruby's dynamic types? I've
been reading what little is a available including bits on rubyinline on
zenspider.com, but can't seem to find much on how it plans to handle
dynamic types.

J.

3 Answers

Eric Hodel

On 04 Jan 2005, at 01:10, jm wrote:

> How does ruby2c handle or plan to handle ruby's dynamic types? I've
> been reading what little is a available including bits on rubyinline
> on zenspider.com, but can't seem to find much on how it plans to
> handle dynamic types.

We won't, not in the subset we will be translating. If it doesn't fit
into C's type layer, we won't be handling it.

--
Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://se...
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

jm

Thanks, with trying to work, changing jobs, study and everything else
it's hard to keep up with things happening in the ruby world and I tend
to missed things, hence the occasional stupid question.

Jeff.

On 05/01/2005, at 4:46 AM, Eric Hodel wrote:

> On 04 Jan 2005, at 01:10, jm wrote:
>
>> How does ruby2c handle or plan to handle ruby's dynamic types? I've
>> been reading what little is a available including bits on rubyinline
>> on zenspider.com, but can't seem to find much on how it plans to
>> handle dynamic types.
>
> We won't, not in the subset we will be translating. If it doesn't fit
> into C's type layer, we won't be handling it.
>
> --
> Eric Hodel - drbrain@segment7.net - http://se...
> FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

Ryan Davis

On Jan 4, 2005, at 10:09 PM, jm wrote:

> Thanks, with trying to work, changing jobs, study and everything else
> it's hard to keep up with things happening in the ruby world and I
> tend to missed things, hence the occasional stupid question.

not stupid at all, and something we need to work on in our doco. Thank
you for pointing this out. I'll add it to my todo list.