text/format loops on long words

Wybo Dekker

Austin Ziegler

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 03:21:09 +0900, Wybo Dekker <wybo@servalys.nl> wrote:
> This hangs, and it has to do with the last two words in the text to be
> too long (make columns 1 larger or body_indent 1 less and it works):
>
> #!/usr/bin/env ruby
> require 'text/format'
> require 'tex/hyphen'
>
> puts Text::Format.new(
> :body_indent => 15,
> :columns => 30,
> :hyphenator => TeX::Hyphen.new,
> :split_rules => Text::Format::SPLIT_HYPHENATION,
> :hard_margins => true,
> :text => "something pancakes electroencephalogram"
> ).paragraphs
>
> I hope Austin Ziegler is looking...

I will look at this later this week. I am just back from a wonderful
vacation on the beaches of Cuba (got my hair braided and a wonderful
New Year's tan, thanks :) and still have to finish rebuilding my main
development computer after a catastrophic hard drive crash (I haven't
yet installed Ruby on the machine, but it has finally been downloaded;
I just need to get the Windows build environment(s) set up that I will
be using).

My plan as I get back into the swing of things is to address
Text::Format. In the interim, can you test with Text::Hyphen instead
of TeX::Hyphen? The hyphenation rules in Text::Hyphen for English are
a little more up-to-date, although this may not help. I will try to
figure this out and form it into a test case and fix the problem as I
put Text::Format 1.0.0 together.

For those people who are using Text::Format, I have a very important
question -- more people are using it than I had realised ;) I want to
change the initialisation idiom from the current "anything goes" to
either the form you presented or the currently-preferred
initialisation block that yields self (rather than using
instance_eval).

Are you okay if I make this change in Text::Format, or should I follow
the concepts of TeX::Hyphen » Text::Hyphen and make this Text::Format
» Text::Formatter?

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com
* Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca

Wybo Dekker

Austin Ziegler

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 08:58:27 +0900, Wybo Dekker <wybo@servalys.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005, Austin Ziegler wrote:
> > On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 03:21:09 +0900, Wybo Dekker <wybo@servalys.nl> wrote:
> > > This hangs, and it has to do with the last two words in the text to be
> > > too long (make columns 1 larger or body_indent 1 less and it works):

I have fixed this, I think, but it's not yet in CVS. I am making more
extensive changes as part of Text::Format 1.0.0 that this will be a
part of.

-austin