[ANN] RubyGems 0.8.4

Chad Fowler

1/1/2005 4:36:00 PM

= Announce: RubyGems Release 0.8.4

Hello and Happy New Year! We've now surpassed 10,000 downloads of
RubyGems and are starting to see a real rhythm of new gems being
published. Thanks to the efforts of many dedicated Rubyists, 2005
will be remembered as the year everything took shape in the world of
ruby package distribution.

We have just released RubyGems 0.8.4. 0.8.4 is a small release, but it
fixes some fairly major installation issues (thanks Ryan Davis) and
addresses some speed issues with requires (thanks Eric Hodel, Gavin
Sinclair, and Jim Weirich).

== What is RubyGems?

RubyGems is a package management system for Ruby applications and
libraries. RubyGems one command download makes installing Ruby
software fun and enjoyable again. (Ok, not really.)

Many gems are available for download from the RubyForge site. Browse
the list of gems with a "gem list --remote" command and download what
you need with a simple "gem install <name-of-gem>". RubyGems takes
care of the details of installing, not only the gem you requested, but
also any gems needed by the software you selected.

So now you are asking ...

== How can I get all this great stuff?

Well, here's how ...

To download and install:

1. DOWNLOAD FROM: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gr...
2. UNPACK INTO A DIRECTORY AND CD THERE
3. INSTALL WITH: ruby setup.rb all (you may need admin/root privilege)

... or, if you have an existing RubyGem installation ....

$ gem install rubygems-update (again, might need to be admin/root)
$ update_rubygems (... here too)

I bet you are wondering...

== So What's Changed in this Release?

* Rubygems 0.8.3's installer was broken unless you already had an
older version of RubyGems installed. That's fixed.

* Change in the way Gem::Specification internally deals with lazy
attributes and defaults, bringing (with some loadpath_manager changes)
a fairly significant increase in speed.

* Support for lower-cased Gem file names (for you, Paul Duncan :)

* Erik Veenstra's patch for making Gem versions sortable.

Keep those gems coming!

- Chad Fowler (for the RubyGems team)

http://chad...
http://rubyc...
http://ruby...
http://rubygems.rub... (over 50,000 gems served!)

54 Answers

Richard Lyman

What state is the graphical gem installer/browser in?

-Rich

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 01:36:13 +0900, Chad Fowler <chadfowler@gmail.com> wrote:
> = Announce: RubyGems Release 0.8.4
>
> Hello and Happy New Year! We've now surpassed 10,000 downloads of
> RubyGems and are starting to see a real rhythm of new gems being
> published. Thanks to the efforts of many dedicated Rubyists, 2005
> will be remembered as the year everything took shape in the world of
> ruby package distribution.
>
> We have just released RubyGems 0.8.4. 0.8.4 is a small release, but it
> fixes some fairly major installation issues (thanks Ryan Davis) and
> addresses some speed issues with requires (thanks Eric Hodel, Gavin
> Sinclair, and Jim Weirich).
>
> == What is RubyGems?
>
> RubyGems is a package management system for Ruby applications and
> libraries. RubyGems one command download makes installing Ruby
> software fun and enjoyable again. (Ok, not really.)
>
> Many gems are available for download from the RubyForge site. Browse
> the list of gems with a "gem list --remote" command and download what
> you need with a simple "gem install <name-of-gem>". RubyGems takes
> care of the details of installing, not only the gem you requested, but
> also any gems needed by the software you selected.
>
> So now you are asking ...
>
> == How can I get all this great stuff?
>
> Well, here's how ...
>
> To download and install:
>
> 1. DOWNLOAD FROM: http://rubyforge.org/frs/?gr...
> 2. UNPACK INTO A DIRECTORY AND CD THERE
> 3. INSTALL WITH: ruby setup.rb all (you may need admin/root privilege)
>
> ... or, if you have an existing RubyGem installation ....
>
> $ gem install rubygems-update (again, might need to be admin/root)
> $ update_rubygems (... here too)
>
> I bet you are wondering...
>
> == So What's Changed in this Release?
>
> * Rubygems 0.8.3's installer was broken unless you already had an
> older version of RubyGems installed. That's fixed.
>
> * Change in the way Gem::Specification internally deals with lazy
> attributes and defaults, bringing (with some loadpath_manager changes)
> a fairly significant increase in speed.
>
> * Support for lower-cased Gem file names (for you, Paul Duncan :)
>
> * Erik Veenstra's patch for making Gem versions sortable.
>
> Keep those gems coming!
>
> - Chad Fowler (for the RubyGems team)
>
> http://chad...
> http://rubyc...
> http://ruby...
> http://rubygems.rub... (over 50,000 gems served!)

gabriele renzi

Richard Lyman ha scritto:
> What state is the graphical gem installer/browser in?
>
> -Rich

.... and, there is a chance to speed up remote gem search/install by
local caching and download of diffed stuff ?

Chad Fowler

I'm not the developer of either of the ones that are in development,
so I can't say for sure, but I've seen both and they are both very
near feature complete. End of the year madness has probably gotten in
the way :)

Chad

--

Chad Fowler
http://chad...
http://rubyc...
http://ruby...
http://rubygems.rub... (over 50,000 gems served!)

Chad Fowler

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 03:51:39 +0900, gabriele renzi
<rff_rff@remove-yahoo.it> wrote:
> Richard Lyman ha scritto:
> > What state is the graphical gem installer/browser in?
> >
> > -Rich
> >

> .... and, there is a chance to speed up remote gem search/install by
> local caching and download of diffed stuff ?

This is definitely a necessity. We've been discussing various
solutions and won't get to 1.0 without a fix. With more and more gems
available, we definitely need to fix this.

--

Chad Fowler
http://chad...
http://rubyc...
http://ruby...
http://rubygems.rub... (over 50,000 gems served!)

Thursday

Chad Fowler wrote:
> = Announce: RubyGems Release 0.8.4
>
> Hello and Happy New Year! We've now surpassed 10,000 downloads of
> RubyGems and are starting to see a real rhythm of new gems being
> published. Thanks to the efforts of many dedicated Rubyists, 2005
> will be remembered as the year everything took shape in the world of
> ruby package distribution.
>
> We have just released RubyGems 0.8.4. 0.8.4 is a small release, but it
> fixes some fairly major installation issues (thanks Ryan Davis) and
> addresses some speed issues with requires (thanks Eric Hodel, Gavin
> Sinclair, and Jim Weirich).

Many thanks!!!

Out of curiosity, how much of RubyGems is leveraging existing existing
work in projects such as Perl's CPAN, Gentoo's Portage, FreeBSD's ports,
NetBSD's pkgsrc, Debian's apt-get, etc...?

Maybe some of the remaining work can leverage work already
completed/tested in other projects. Particularly more complex issues
related to caching, etc.

firestar

I used gems to install rails on win2K, but not able to do so behind a
proxy server. Even using the -p option does not help.

Only now I realise that by adding the 'HTTP_PROXY' environment variable
in windows, the problem is solved! Just thought of sharing this tip
here, as my previous google attempt did not seem to find this...

Craig Moran

Here's another tip that worked for me even though I am on a severely
locked down Windows 2000 box where I cannot set any Windows
environment variables such as HTTP_PROXY. This line may be entered at
a command prompt:

"c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "c:\ruby\bin\gem" install rails -p http://proxy:80

My ruby version using the One Click Installer
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) [i386-mswin32]

Hope this helps someone. Peace
Craig

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 15:46:34 +0900, firestar <theebh@gmail.com> wrote:
> I used gems to install rails on win2K, but not able to do so behind a
> proxy server. Even using the -p option does not help.
>
> Only now I realise that by adding the 'HTTP_PROXY' environment variable
> in windows, the problem is solved! Just thought of sharing this tip
> here, as my previous google attempt did not seem to find this...

Jim Weirich

firestar said:
> I used gems to install rails on win2K, but not able to do so behind a
> proxy server. Even using the -p option does not help.
>
> Only now I realise that by adding the 'HTTP_PROXY' environment variable
> in windows, the problem is solved! Just thought of sharing this tip
> here, as my previous google attempt did not seem to find this...

I just tried both the environment variable and the -p option under windows
XP and both variations were fine. Can anyone confirm a problem on Windows
2000 with the -p proxy option?

Thanks.

--
-- Jim Weirich jim@weirichhouse.org http://onest...

Paul Duncan

* Chad Fowler (chadfowler@gmail.com) wrote:
> = Announce: RubyGems Release 0.8.4
>
> Hello and Happy New Year! We've now surpassed 10,000 downloads of
> RubyGems and are starting to see a real rhythm of new gems being
> published. Thanks to the efforts of many dedicated Rubyists, 2005
> will be remembered as the year everything took shape in the world of
> ruby package distribution.

[snipped]

> * Support for lower-cased Gem file names (for you, Paul Duncan :)

Thanks! :D

--
Paul Duncan <pabs@pablotron.org> pabs in #ruby-lang (OPN IRC)
http://www.pabl... OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562

MiG

Hello,

I'm a czech Ruby fan, now looking for a new job.. It's not possible to
find any ruby project here. Does anyone know about something like "Ruby
job announcement"?

I think more people are in the same situation - want to programm in Ruby
but aren't able to get a correspondent job. I think it's possible to
work over countries nowadays. Eight work hours & one company in one
bilding is the past.

Jan Molic
http://w...