Ruby USB Drive

Giovanni Intini

12/29/2004 12:09:00 AM

For Christmas I got a wonderful present: a 1GB USB drive. Now I feel
the need to fill it with Ruby goodness, but I don't know exactely what
to put on it.

Basically I need a portable development enviroment that can be used
with OSX, Linux and Windows. Windows could be bypassed by putting a
bootable minimal live linux distribution on the drive, but then I
could find myself on a box that can't boot from a usb drive (I have
two of them at home :)).

I was thinking about:

Reference Documentation: Pickaxe2 PDF (that you too should buy!),
rails doumentation, who knows what else

An editor for each platform: TextMate (Mac), and don't know what to
use on win/linux

Ruby in its various forms

Everything else. Obviously I don't know or I wouldn't have asked :)

I think that 1GB should be more than enough for every ruby developer
so suggest everything you have in mind :)

7 Answers

Zach Dennis

Giovanni Intini wrote:
> For Christmas I got a wonderful present: a 1GB USB drive. Now I feel
> the need to fill it with Ruby goodness, but I don't know exactely what
> to put on it.
>
> Basically I need a portable development enviroment that can be used
> with OSX, Linux and Windows. Windows could be bypassed by putting a
> bootable minimal live linux distribution on the drive, but then I
> could find myself on a box that can't boot from a usb drive (I have
> two of them at home :)).
>
> I was thinking about:
>
> Reference Documentation: Pickaxe2 PDF (that you too should buy!),
> rails doumentation, who knows what else

You should generate rdoc from the source of ruby. In case you don't have
an internet connection this is always a nice to have handy. That should
give you all core and stdlib apis.

> An editor for each platform: TextMate (Mac), and don't know what to
> use on win/linux

On Windows you could use:
- Eclipse w/RDT
- SciTe
- FreeRide
- ArachnoRuby
- Mondrian IDE
- Crimson Editor

On Linux you could use:
- Eclipse w/RDT
- KDevelop
- x?emacs
- vim?

On Mac you could use:
- Eclipse w/RDT
- BBEdit
- TextMate

I'm a big Eclipse fan myself...

> Ruby in its various forms
>
> Everything else. Obviously I don't know or I wouldn't have asked :)
>
> I think that 1GB should be more than enough for every ruby developer
> so suggest everything you have in mind :)

I would also throw on there a version of Pacman as well. You can't just
work all the time!!! Pacman is a good, fun game to play every now and then.

If you are a hard core web guy, you may want to throw on there Apache as
well, that way you can have access to a web server, and modruby to.

Then if you are really needing to fill up space, download the last 2
years of messages from this list, so you can search the archives locally. =)

Zach

Curt Hibbs

Actually, you can use FreeRIDE on all three platforms.

Curt

Zach Dennis [mailto:zdennis@mktec.com]

> Giovanni Intini wrote:
> > For Christmas I got a wonderful present: a 1GB USB drive. Now I feel
> > the need to fill it with Ruby goodness, but I don't know exactely what
> > to put on it.
> >
> > Basically I need a portable development enviroment that can be used
> > with OSX, Linux and Windows. Windows could be bypassed by putting a
> > bootable minimal live linux distribution on the drive, but then I
> > could find myself on a box that can't boot from a usb drive (I have
> > two of them at home :)).
> >
> > I was thinking about:
> >
> > Reference Documentation: Pickaxe2 PDF (that you too should buy!),
> > rails doumentation, who knows what else
>
> You should generate rdoc from the source of ruby. In case you don't have
> an internet connection this is always a nice to have handy. That should
> give you all core and stdlib apis.
>

> > An editor for each platform: TextMate (Mac), and don't know what to
> > use on win/linux
>
> On Windows you could use:
> - Eclipse w/RDT
> - SciTe
> - FreeRide
> - ArachnoRuby
> - Mondrian IDE
> - Crimson Editor
>
> On Linux you could use:
> - Eclipse w/RDT
> - KDevelop
> - x?emacs
> - vim?
>
> On Mac you could use:
> - Eclipse w/RDT
> - BBEdit
> - TextMate
>
> I'm a big Eclipse fan myself...
>

> > Ruby in its various forms
> >
> > Everything else. Obviously I don't know or I wouldn't have asked :)
> >
> > I think that 1GB should be more than enough for every ruby developer
> > so suggest everything you have in mind :)
>
> I would also throw on there a version of Pacman as well. You can't just
> work all the time!!! Pacman is a good, fun game to play every now
> and then.
>
> If you are a hard core web guy, you may want to throw on there Apache as
> well, that way you can have access to a web server, and modruby to.
>
> Then if you are really needing to fill up space, download the last 2
> years of messages from this list, so you can search the archives
> locally. =)
>

> Zach

Martin DeMello

Giovanni Intini <intinig@gmail.com> wrote:
> Basically I need a portable development enviroment that can be used
> with OSX, Linux and Windows. Windows could be bypassed by putting a
> bootable minimal live linux distribution on the drive, but then I
> could find myself on a box that can't boot from a usb drive (I have
> two of them at home :)).

Besides which, according to a slashdot poster this is not recommended,
since your drive will take a beating (assuming you have the swap file on
there too).

martin

Giovanni Intini

> I would also throw on there a version of Pacman as well. You can't just
> work all the time!!! Pacman is a good, fun game to play every now and then.

I prefer Circus Charlie, but mame is going there with some roms :)

> Then if you are really needing to fill up space, download the last 2
> years of messages from this list, so you can search the archives locally. =)

I didn't think about that, but that's a good idea :)

BTW what ruby should I put in there? The sources? One click
installers? Compile and install over the usb drive?

Giovanni Intini

> Actually, you can use FreeRIDE on all three platforms.

On max it's textmate, but I'll give FreeRIDE a try :)

Curt Hibbs

Giovanni Intini wrote:

> > Actually, you can use FreeRIDE on all three platforms.
>
> On max it's textmate, but I'll give FreeRIDE a try :)

On OSX, FreeRIDE is included in darwinports.

Curt

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

Ben Giddings

On Dec 29, 2004, at 03:11, Martin DeMello wrote:
> Giovanni Intini <intinig@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Basically I need a portable development enviroment that can be used
>> with OSX, Linux and Windows. Windows could be bypassed by putting a
>> bootable minimal live linux distribution on the drive, but then I
>> could find myself on a box that can't boot from a usb drive (I have
>> two of them at home :)).
>
> Besides which, according to a slashdot poster this is not recommended,
> since your drive will take a beating (assuming you have the swap file
> on
> there too).

With all due respect to "a slashdot poster", if you're running off a
USB drive, you probably shouldn't have a swap partition, in fact,
you're probably better off mounting a lot of things as ramfs, esp /tmp,
/var/tmp possibly even all of /var.

Ben