[OT] Re: RubyForge (was: Best ways to accelerate Ruby's popularity

> Lähettäjä: Tom Copeland <tom@infoether.com>

> The difficult thing, I think, about a mockup is that it might be hard to
> translate onto the actual GForge HTML stuff. So someone could come up
> with a really nice look, but I might have no idea how to make GForge
> actually implement that look.
>
> But sure, suggestions or improvements to the stylesheet or anything else
> would be welcome.

Does RF use straight GForge HTML or are there differences?
(Or if it's all CSS, is the stylesheet fully available?)

And, if I (or anyone else) actually get around to doing
something, where should the submissions be sent? I'm
thinking it'd probably be best to create a look similar
to ruby-lang, rubygarden and ruby-doc.

Red and minimalistic :)

James Britt

E S wrote:

> Red and minimalistic :)

Please, no. Minimalistic is OK, but the red is overdone.

The color red tends to draw the eye and make things emerge from the page
or screen. It works well as a highlight color, as a tool for
deliberately calling attention to something special. However, making a
whole page or site red gets tiresome on the eyes, and makes it harder to
have specific items stand out.

Yes, the language is called Ruby, and yes, rubies are red. So what?
Colors should be selected for their functional value first, aesthetic
value second, and their coincidental relation to some object last.

James

Tom Copeland

> Does RF use straight GForge HTML or are there differences?

There are a few customizations, but most of those are in the
www/index_std.html page that GForge sort of designates for that purpose.

> (Or if it's all CSS, is the stylesheet fully available?)

Yup, the CSS is in the GForge CVS repository:

http://gforge.org/scm/?...

Or I can just email it to you, which would probably be easier.

> And, if I (or anyone else) actually get around to doing
> something, where should the submissions be sent? I'm thinking
> it'd probably be best to create a look similar to ruby-lang,
> rubygarden and ruby-doc.

Hm. You could post it here somewhere on the support project:

http://rubyforge.org/project...

or send screenshots/etc here to the list; perhaps folks won't mind...

> Red and minimalistic :)

I like it already :-)

Yours,

Tom

Martin DeMello

James Britt <jamesUNDERBARb@neurogami.com> wrote:

> Please, no. Minimalistic is OK, but the red is overdone.
>
> The color red tends to draw the eye and make things emerge from the page
> or screen. It works well as a highlight color, as a tool for
> deliberately calling attention to something special. However, making a
> whole page or site red gets tiresome on the eyes, and makes it harder to
> have specific items stand out.
>
> Yes, the language is called Ruby, and yes, rubies are red. So what?
> Colors should be selected for their functional value first, aesthetic
> value second, and their coincidental relation to some object last.

Heartily seconded!

martin