nttp<-->http test

Martin Pirker

12/26/2004 7:58:00 PM

from the funny-things-people-do-with-Ruby dept.

Some people prefer the mailing list,
some like to read comp.lang.ruby by newsreader,
some start up a webforum
....or something like that.

For another option point your browsing tool to
http://193-170-226-120:30000/ (replace - with .)
and try a nntp newsreader with a http interface.
Accounts are "testrxxx", xxx in [001..999], pass is "friend"

Although in limited local production use since Oct04, this is a
prototype which has still several bugs and design defects.
This test is run for a few days to get some feedback (or a wishlist?)
whether it's a good idea to continue pouring resources into this
project and aim for a generic public release, or leave it at
current "good enough" local use level.
Note that some features are disabled in this build, e.g. you can
compose new articles but they are never send out.

have fun,
Martin
4 Answers

Aria Stewart

> Although in limited local production use since Oct04, this is a
> prototype which has still several bugs and design defects.
> This test is run for a few days to get some feedback (or a wishlist?)
> whether it's a good idea to continue pouring resources into this
> project and aim for a generic public release, or leave it at
> current "good enough" local use level.
> Note that some features are disabled in this build, e.g. you can
> compose new articles but they are never send out.

Nicely made!

Martin Pirker

Martin Pirker <crf@sbox.tu-graz.ac.at> wrote:
> have fun,

FAQ:
Forget about your browser back/reload buttons, just follow the offered links.
There is only one active page, the last one.
If you get lost -> relogin.
This is feature, not a bug. (a bug is a "internal server error" message)

Martin

Tim Bates

Martin Pirker wrote:
> FAQ:
> Forget about your browser back/reload buttons, just follow the offered links.
> There is only one active page, the last one.
> If you get lost -> relogin.
> This is feature, not a bug. (a bug is a "internal server error" message)

I ran into problems when I clicked the "export .newsrc file" link -
there was no way to get back into the app. Perhaps with a bit of
JavaScript magic this could be forced to open in a new window, or with
the right HTTP headers it could pop up a "save as" dialog box:

Otherwise as soon as you click that link you're forced to relogin to the
app.

Tim.

--
Tim Bates
tim@bates.id.au

Martin Pirker

Aredridel <aredridel@nbtsc.org> wrote:
> Nicely made!

Thanks! and to the few who mailed comments - and 2 (new) bugs were found, too.

I'll take it now down, there doesn't seem to be a market in between real
nntp and webforums.

happy Ruby-ing,
Martin