Ruby for Pocket PC 2003

Sarah Tanembaum

12/21/2004 5:41:00 PM

Well, I just got an ownership of iPAQ h1935 with Pocket PC 2003/Windows
Mobile 2003. I was wondering if Ruby run in this platform?

It make it easier learning Ruby programming on-the-go. Is it possible to
optimize Ruby for small devices?

Thanks to all

Sarah
5 Answers

Michal Suchanek

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 02:42:02AM +0900, Sarah Tanembaum wrote:
> Well, I just got an ownership of iPAQ h1935 with Pocket PC 2003/Windows
> Mobile 2003. I was wondering if Ruby run in this platform?
>
> It make it easier learning Ruby programming on-the-go. Is it possible to
> optimize Ruby for small devices?

I do not have such device and if I did I would try to run GNU/Linux or
NetBSD on it to get a more useful OS.

However, if you search for "gcc Pocket PC" with google it finds a
compiler and as Ruby is fairly portable you should be able to compile
it.

You may need additional storage like flash card or whatever goes into
the device to get enough room for compiling and running ruby.
Alternatively, you can compile on a network drive if that Windows thingy
is capable of any networking.

Crosscompiling for that devices should be also possible, either with gcc
or some Microsoft tools. But setting up the cross-toolchain is usually
tricky. On the other hand, the compilation is faster and easier once set
up.

Although I would be myself interested and could possibly borrow an
iPaq for experimenting I lack the time for that right now.

I hope you or somebody else makes a successful port to make Ruby more
mobile :)

Thanks

Michal Suchanek

Matt Mower

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 07:46:27 +0900, Michal 'hramrach' Suchanek
<hramrach@centrum.cz> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 02:42:02AM +0900, Sarah Tanembaum wrote:
> > Well, I just got an ownership of iPAQ h1935 with Pocket PC 2003/Windows
> > Mobile 2003. I was wondering if Ruby run in this platform?
> >
> > It make it easier learning Ruby programming on-the-go. Is it possible to
> > optimize Ruby for small devices?
>
> I do not have such device and if I did I would try to run GNU/Linux or
> NetBSD on it to get a more useful OS.
>
> However, if you search for "gcc Pocket PC" with google it finds a
> compiler and as Ruby is fairly portable you should be able to compile
> it.

I forgot to respond to this first time round.

Since the Ruby core is C it may be possible to build the basic
interpreter using Microsoft Visual C++ for embedded devices. I don't
have it installed right now but will try to do something about it
after my exams.

My idea was to wrap the interpreter in a windowed irb so that you
could develop simple programs. Library support might be more of a
challenge but who knows?

Regards,

Matt

--
Matt Mower :: http://matt...

tony summerfelt

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 07:46:27 +0900, you wrote:

>I do not have such device and if I did I would try to run GNU/Linux or

that particular operation isn't for the feint of heart...

>However, if you search for "gcc Pocket PC" with google it finds a
>compiler and as Ruby is fairly portable you should be able to compile

there is a version of tcl/tk for the pocket pc..works very nicely and
somebody has already created a binary for it.

you might get a command line only version of ruby going on the pocket
pc...

i found for all the trouble, it was just as easy to install the free
evb and write visual basic programs for it...not ruby, but works in a
pinch...
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ts...
telnet://ventedspleen.dyndns.org

Farmer

Ca'ch nay ho*n 10 na(m, Su* co. TNH co dde^'n Oakland gia?ng dda.o
ca'i du`i tro^'ng dda'nh
tro^'ng kho^ng ke^u vi` du`i dda'nh qua supersonic speed va` co'
nguo*`i ho?i ve^` ca'ch a(n no'i cu?a
"Thày " sao ma` hay binh Co^.ng Sa?n ve^` Peace nhu*ng Thày la.i
thi'ch che^ bai My~ thi` Thày
dda~ no^?i ddo'a va` ha(`n ho.c tra? lo*`i nguo*`i dda(.t ca^u ho?i
ngay trong buo^?i no'i chuye^.n, ddie^`u
na`y co' ky' gi?a ba'o chi' va` on air / radio live la`m ba` con kha'n
thi'nh gi?a te' ngu*?a ca'i ddu`ng .

Sau vu. na`y, Thày co' nha^.n ra ca'i lo^~I la^`m cu?a Thày vi` Thày
thi'ch nhi`n xa tro^ng ro^.ng nhu*ng ca'i
cu.c cu*'t Ruo^`i dden to to^? bo^' ngay tre^n mi' ma('t pha?i
http://www.spiritualityandpractice.com/ecourses/images/psthichnhath...
cu?a Thày thi` Thày ho?ng nhi`n tha^'y
do ddo' Thày ru? re^ ba` con cho`m xo'm ta^.p phuo*ng pha'p Ddi ba'ch
bo^. dde^? ti`m ra Peace ma` trong
lo`ng la` 1 bo^` dao ga(m sa(~n sa`ng dda^m sau lu*ng ca'c Chie^'n si~
VNCH cho*' Thày kho^ng dda^m va`o lu*ng
tha(`ng Vietcong na`o he^'t

Xin dde^` nghi. Dda?ng CS Oakland ha~y ta.c tuo*.ng Thày aka Thich
Nha^'t Ha.nh o^m ho^n mo^i ba` Suma
ChingHai http://www.godsdirectcontact.com/quanyin/meditation...

Mo^ Pha^.t va` Amen

On Nov 9, 2:57 am, TrinhQuocThien <trinhquocth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Vee Khu`ng (cu.c cu+'t) thi` ne^n va`o nha` thu+o+ng ddie^n tru+o+'c.
>
> Ca`nh ho^`ng (TNH) thi` ddu+o+.c ta.c tu+o+.ng ba^'t tu+? be^n ca.nh
> ca'c danh nha^n kha'c. Ddu+o+ng nhie^n co' 1 so^' i't VN kho^ng thi'ch
> o^ng TNH na`y. Mo^.t so^' bo? nha` ddi tu theo TNH.

..> Le^n Oakland City dda^.p dda^`u pha?n ddo^'i ddi Vee Khu`ng !

> QTTT
>

> > O^i ddo*`i ma`, cu.c cu*'t dde^? tre^n ba`n a(n va` co`n dda(.t 1
> > ca`nh ho^`ng be^n ca.nh cho no' ra ve? Art thi`
> > coi nhu* la` ca? the^' gio*'i vo^ nha` thuo*ng ddie^n he^'t cho xong
>
> > .On Nov 8, 9:07 pm, "huongxuan" <pentagon.orc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Thie^`n su+ Thi'ch Nha^'t Ha.nh ddu+o+.c cho.n la` 1 trong 26 vi. humanitarians cu?a the^' gio+'i trong co^ng tri`nh ddie^u kha('c vi~ dda.i cu?a tha`nh pho^' Oakland, Calif.. O^ng Thi'ch Nha^'t Ha.nh ddu+o+.c kha('c tu+o+.ng ca.nh mother Teresa ....
>
> > >http://www.remember-them.org/http://www.remember-them.or...
>
> > > Ca'c vi. na`y se~ co' trong chu+o+ng tri`nh gia'o khoa sa'ch vo+~ cho ho.c sinh ho.c. hx cha(?ng ro~ ke? ghe't ngu+o+`i thu+o+ng o^ng Thi'ch Nha^'t Ha.nh ra sao nhu+ng coi bo^. o^ng ta ddu+o+.c ...immortality ddo' nha.:-) hx co' ngu+o+`i ba.n be^n Pha'p co' thu+? va`o "tu" la`ng mai la`ng ma^.n gi` ddo' va` sau ddo' ba?o la` it's more like a sect...1 gia'o pha'i....va` tu+` ddo' kho^ng thi'ch nu+~a.
>
> > > huongxuan_______- Hide quoted text -

Farmer

Va` dda^y la` ca'i bo^' la'o cu?a Thie^`n su* TNH, sao o^ng ta kho^ng
qua ca'c ca'nh ddo^`ng ru*`ng
be^n Cambodia ma` "Pray with your feet"
http://www.phnompenhpost.com/index.php/2010101444000/National-news/mine-casualties-incre...

PS: If you want to have Peace on Earth, please do your Charity works
to help People, not just eat and shit and pray

‘Pray with your feet’
TNN, Nov 8, 2010, 01.35pm IST

Read more: ‘Pray with your feet’ - The Times of India
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/spirituality/new-age-insight/Pray-with-your-feet/articleshow/6888018.cms#ixz...

Why is it important to pray with the body?
Everyone knows that the body is very important in prayer. If you join
your palms, if you are in the kneeling position, then you are able to
concentrate better whether you are addressing the Buddha, Sangha, or
Jesus. In the Buddhist tradition we learn that body and mind are not
two separate things. The body is part of mind, and mind is part of
body. The body is a continuation of mind and mind is a continuation of
body. Because of ignorance we think the body is not the mind and mind
is not body; but both manifest from consciousness.

With that kind of vision the non-duality of mind and body, Buddhists
always involve the body in prayer, in meditation. The body contains
mind and mind contains body. That is why, in sitting meditation, in
walking meditation, in mindful work, in the practice of breathing,
mind and body always become one in order for the practice to be
correct, to be fruitful. You don't just practice meditation with your
mind; your mind is only half. You have to meditate with your body.

When you touch the ultimate reality, you touch it also with your body
and not just with your mind. When you touch the kingdom of God, you
touch them with your feet, your hands, your eyes, and not just your
spirit. That is why, in the Buddhist tradition, mind and body should
be one. You have to pray from your heart and not just with words.

How can one avoid falling into the trap of going through words or
motions without paying attention?
When you come here for chanting, when you listen to the chanting, you
have to involve all your body and mind. If you do so, you are in
concentration, you are in mindfulness; you come into phase with the
Sangha and you become one with the Sangha, like a river. You don't
exist anymore as an individual; you become the river of the Sangha.
The mind should be always with the body. That is why mindful walking
as a practice can be considered to be a prayer. You pray with your
feet; and when you walk with mindfulness, you touch the kingdom of
God, and you can see the effectiveness of the prayer right away.

When you breathe in and out mindfully, that is real breathing. Body
and mind are united. It would be a pity if we just prayed with our
mouth — reciting something, while our mind wanders into the past or
into the future, or thinks of other things. This is not praying,
because you are not mindful, you are not concentrated, you do not have
the insight. The foundation of prayer is mindfulness, concentration
and insight. If while you chant you are thinking of something, you
have to go home to yourself. "What am I doing? I am performing, I am
not practicing. I am performing a chant. I am not practicing, I am not
praying at all."

The other members of the Sangha should remind you of that by their way
of chanting, so that you can avoid the trap of practising only with
the form. This trap is universal; it can happen in Buddhism, in
Christianity, and in every religion. We know that if the practice is
like that, there will be no effectiveness. I sometimes remind the
Sangha before our meals together, by saying, "Let us breathe in such a
way that many persons become one person." So we need to have reminders
of various kinds, stimulating, exhorting, and always reminding us, so
we don't fall into that trap of practising only in the form. We have
to be skilful, artful in finding ways to keep our practice alive, and
that's why we should have some encouraging words before walking or
sitting meditation.

What is the relationship between meditation and prayer?
In Buddhism, anything you do that is accompanied by mindfulness,
concentration and insight can be considered to be a prayer. When you
drink your tea in forgetfulness, life is not there. You are not truly
alive because you are not there, you are not mindful, you are not
concentrated. That moment is not a moment of practice. It is a secular
moment. But when you begin to hold your tea in mindfulness and
concentration, and when you drink your tea in perfect mindfulness and
concentration, it looks like you are performing a sacred ritual; and
that is a prayer. When you walk, if you enjoy every step; if every
step nourishes you, transforms you, every step is a prayer. When there
is mindfulness, concentration and insight, there is no distinction
between the one who prays and the one to whom the prayer is addressed.
That is why the communication is deep, total; and transformation and
healing must happen. If you live with mindfulness, concentration and
insight, you never leave God.

How can we find time to pray every day?
When every step becomes a prayer; when every breath becomes a prayer;
when each moment of working or driving or eating becomes a prayer, you
don't need to set aside a time for praying, because your entire day is
devoted to the practice of praying. Every moment of our daily life can
be a moment of prayer, of meditation, of practice. We need to be
trained in order to do so. There are moments when we are not truly
alive, we are pulled away, carried away by our worries, our anger, our
projects; and we waste our life because of that. Nobody wants to waste
his life. We want to live our life deeply, and the only way is by
praying, by generating the energy of mindfulness, concentration and
insight, and then we can live very deeply every moment of our daily
life. Our life is a life of practice, a life of prayer, and there is
no distinction between the time of praying and the time of "living" or
non-praying.