Re: OT: vi useability question

Peña, Botp

12/21/2004 11:10:00 AM

Mikael Brockman [mailto:mikael@phubuh.org] wrote:

//Straying further off-topic, I switched to Dvorak when I got
//it, a couple off weeks ago. Those were the most

may I ask,
how many weeks did it take for you to switch/adjust to dvorak typing?

if you switch back to qwerty, do you get problems? or does the mind+hand
adjust automatically as if riding a bike? :-) I'm asking since I may use a
dvorak keyb at home will qwerty at the office/friends/cafes...
thanks for info.

//
//Hugs and kisses,
//Mikael
//

kind regards -botp

30 Answers

Dick Davies

* "Pe?a, Botp" <botp@delmonte-phil.com> [1210 11:10]:
> Mikael Brockman [mailto:mikael@phubuh.org] wrote:
>
> //Straying further off-topic, I switched to Dvorak when I got
> //it, a couple off weeks ago. Those were the most
>
> may I ask,
> how many weeks did it take for you to switch/adjust to dvorak typing?

I'm not Mikael, but it took me about six weeks to get back up to speed
(I stuck a keyboard diagram to each side of the monitor until I trained
my fingers).

> if you switch back to qwerty, do you get problems?

Well, it really hurts :) I fall back to hunt and peck when forced to use
qwerty, but since I touchtype now (never got the knack under qwerty), I just
remap the keyboard and keep using dvorak.

--
'Everyone's always in favour of saving Hitler's brain, but when you put it
in the body of a Great White shark suddenly you've gone too far..'

Mikael Brockman

"Peña, Botp" <botp@delmonte-phil.com> writes:

> Mikael Brockman [mailto:mikael@phubuh.org] wrote:
>
> //Straying further off-topic, I switched to Dvorak when I got
> //it, a couple off weeks ago. Those were the most
>
> may I ask,
> how many weeks did it take for you to switch/adjust to dvorak typing?

Two or three. I went cold turkey -- didn't let myself switch back. I'm
not great at it yet, though. I type at about 5 correct keys a second,
but I make some mistakes. I'm bad at the parens and braces and stuff,
because I haven't been able to write any code. Hanging out on IRC is
really good practice. I do a round of dvorak7min every night, too.
(http://www.linalco.com/ragnar/dvorak7min-1....)

> if you switch back to qwerty, do you get problems? or does the mind+hand
> adjust automatically as if riding a bike? :-) I'm asking since I may use a
> dvorak keyb at home will qwerty at the office/friends/cafes...
> thanks for info.

I haven't tried in a while. Let's see... OK, that's weird. Looking at
the keyboard, I can type fluently. Not by searching after the keys --
my fingers know where they are. But when I look up, I turn to Dvorak
mode automatically, and I get confused. I've heard that you get good at
switching between them, though.

By the way, it's easy to change the layout on most systems.

Mikael Brockman

Dick Davies <rasputnik@hellooperator.net> writes:

> * "Pe?a, Botp" <botp@delmonte-phil.com> [1210 11:10]:
> > Mikael Brockman [mailto:mikael@phubuh.org] wrote:
> >
> > //Straying further off-topic, I switched to Dvorak when I got
> > //it, a couple off weeks ago. Those were the most
> >
> > if you switch back to qwerty, do you get problems?
>
> Well, it really hurts :)

Yes -- it's painfully obvious how much QWERTY sucks when you're used to
Dvorak. You notice your fingers flying all over the place, often typing
long words with just one hand. :-)

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

And a refutation of the refutation...

http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/di...

--
Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

Zach Dennis

Peña, Botp wrote:
> Mikael Brockman [mailto:mikael@phubuh.org] wrote:
>
> //Straying further off-topic, I switched to Dvorak when I got
> //it, a couple off weeks ago. Those were the most
>
> may I ask,
> how many weeks did it take for you to switch/adjust to dvorak typing?
>
> if you switch back to qwerty, do you get problems? or does the mind+hand
> adjust automatically as if riding a bike? :-) I'm asking since I may use a
> dvorak keyb at home will qwerty at the office/friends/cafes...
> thanks for info.

I'd like to ask another question based on this post. I use QWERTY. I
have a coworker who uses Dvorak. I type 112 words per minute. He types
56. Based on that alone I failed to see the reason to switch. Any one
out there notice an increase in their typing speed for using Dvorak?

Thanks,

Zach

tony summerfelt

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:28:19 +0900, you wrote:

>I'd like to ask another question based on this post. I use QWERTY. I
>have a coworker who uses Dvorak. I type 112 words per minute.

i've been using qwerty since '78...my cruising speed from that date on
has been 125 wpm, and i've hit 175 wpm when i'm really inspired...

i suppose i could learn dvorak for my own computer but the OTHER 170
computers i have to be on are all qwerty... :)
http://home.cogeco.ca/~ts...
telnet://ventedspleen.dyndns.org

Dick Davies

* Zach Dennis <zdennis@mktec.com> [1228 02:28]:
> I'd like to ask another question based on this post. I use QWERTY. I
> have a coworker who uses Dvorak. I type 112 words per minute. He types
> 56. Based on that alone I failed to see the reason to switch. Any one
> out there notice an increase in their typing speed for using Dvorak?

I switched because of RSI, not for speed.
Made a big difference to me.

--
'Oh. Your. God.'
-- Bender

Fredrik Jagenheim

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:16:14 +0900, Dick Davies
<rasputnik@hellooperator.net> wrote:

> I'm not Mikael, but it took me about six weeks to get back up to speed

To get somewhat back on the off-topic. How do you all handle vim in
dvoraks mode?

I've decided to try and switch out of curiosity but hit the first
hurdle when I realized that vim is optimized for qwerty.

I've tried to find mappings for vim in dvoraks mode, but the only site
that seems to have it seems down; so I wonder how the rest of you
manage?

Still use hjkl and can manage that they're not next to each other anymore?
Remapped them to dhtn? What did you use for 'delete' then?
Remap entire keyboard to qwerty for command mode? (so 'dw' would be 'e,')
Switched editor?

Any shared configuration files would be fantastic.

//F, not doing very well in dvoraks7min, yet.

Dick Davies

* Fredrik Jagenheim <jagenheim@gmail.com> [1223 13:23]:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:16:14 +0900, Dick Davies
> <rasputnik@hellooperator.net> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not Mikael, but it took me about six weeks to get back up to speed
>
> To get somewhat back on the off-topic. How do you all handle vim in
> dvoraks mode?
>
> I've decided to try and switch out of curiosity but hit the first
> hurdle when I realized that vim is optimized for qwerty.
>
> I've tried to find mappings for vim in dvoraks mode, but the only site
> that seems to have it seems down; so I wonder how the rest of you
> manage?

use arrow keys :) well, actually I use that touchstream stealth thing I posted
about the other day, so I slide two fingers around on the lefthand keypad....

--
'zzz..Kill all humans. Kill all humans..zzz .....
I was having the most wonderous dream. You were in it.'

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 22:49:32 +0900, Dick Davies
<rasputnik@hellooperator.net> wrote:
> * Fredrik Jagenheim <jagenheim@gmail.com> [1223 13:23]:
> > On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:16:14 +0900, Dick Davies
> > <rasputnik@hellooperator.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm not Mikael, but it took me about six weeks to get back up to speed
> >
> > To get somewhat back on the off-topic. How do you all handle vim in
> > dvoraks mode?
> >
> > I've decided to try and switch out of curiosity but hit the first
> > hurdle when I realized that vim is optimized for qwerty.
> >
> > I've tried to find mappings for vim in dvoraks mode, but the only site
> > that seems to have it seems down; so I wonder how the rest of you
> > manage?
>
> use arrow keys :) well, actually I use that touchstream stealth thing I posted
> about the other day, so I slide two fingers around on the lefthand keypad....
>
> --
> 'zzz..Kill all humans. Kill all humans..zzz .....
> I was having the most wonderous dream. You were in it.'
> -- Bender
> Rasputin :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns

Do you use the touchstream gestures? How do like the keyboard for
reasons other then RSI?

The gestures look pretty cool. I'm now disappointed all keyboards
don't support that- it's a interface possibility of a keyboard that is
orthogonal to typing, and thus non-intrusively overlayed.

I'm way to interested in this thread. There are so many many
interesting people on ruby-talk, OT is usually pretty cool. Maybe
there should have a ruby-ot mailing list to enable the ruby community
to collaborate in orthogonal directions without annoying the core
mailing list.

Thanks,
Nick
--