Ruby and gcc 2.95.4

Michael Neumann

Has anyone tried current Ruby with gcc 2.95.4? Is it known to work?
I get fantastic memory leaks with it... Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks.

Michael

2 Answers

Charles Mills

Michael Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone tried current Ruby with gcc 2.95.4? Is it known to work?
> I get fantastic memory leaks with it... Can anybody confirm this?

There is a bug in the gcc 2.95.4 optimizer. Google search for "gcc
2.95.4 optimizer bug" or "gcc 2.95.4 bug" should turn up some details.

Try compiling Ruby with -O0 (or upgrading your compiler).
Maybe Guy Decoux can tell you more....

-Charlie

Michael Neumann

Charles Mills wrote:
> Michael Neumann wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Has anyone tried current Ruby with gcc 2.95.4? Is it known to work?
>>I get fantastic memory leaks with it... Can anybody confirm this?
>>

> There is a bug in the gcc 2.95.4 optimizer. Google search for "gcc
> 2.95.4 optimizer bug" or "gcc 2.95.4 bug" should turn up some details.
>
> Try compiling Ruby with -O0 (or upgrading your compiler).
> Maybe Guy Decoux can tell you more....

Thanks for the hint. But it seems to be not related to gcc 2.95.4 at
all, as I now get the same memory leaks on gcc 3.3.3. Seems to be a ruby
related problem.

Regards,

Michael