Is there any ruby compatible graphics/imaging utilities ...

Sarah Tanembaum

12/20/2004 8:02:00 PM

that works under native mswin323232 or at least with Cygwin X windows
server? ImageMagick so far won't work either in native windows or
Cygwin. Is there any other alternative? Thanks
15 Answers

Aredridel

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 05:07:04 +0900, Sarah Tanembaum
<sarahtanembaum@yahoo.com> wrote:
> that works under native mswin323232 or at least with Cygwin X windows
> server? ImageMagick so far won't work either in native windows or
> Cygwin. Is there any other alternative? Thanks

Sounds like ruby-gd might be what you want.

Ari

Sarah Tanembaum

Aredridel wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 05:07:04 +0900, Sarah Tanembaum
> <sarahtanembaum@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>that works under native mswin323232 or at least with Cygwin X windows
>>server? ImageMagick so far won't work either in native windows or
>>Cygwin. Is there any other alternative? Thanks
>

> Sounds like ruby-gd might be what you want.
>
> Ari

Yes! I think I used it on PHP, how do you get it to work with Ruby on
Windows? They have the tar.gz which I presume for unix/linux only.

Does anyone has ruby-gd for mswin32? Thanks

Kaspar Schiess

Sarah Tanembaum wrote:

> that works under native mswin323232 or at least with Cygwin X windows
> server? ImageMagick so far won't work either in native windows or
> Cygwin. Is there any other alternative? Thanks

Hello Sarah,

I would like to get back on this, since I cannot agree with what you say.
ImageMagick works very well as far as its intended purpose goes on win32
platforms, I use it frequently. It just can't #display images. This is
now a documented limitation.

There are a number of ways of achieving that goal, like using the Fox GUI
toolkit for example (comes with the default installer); look at the
examples, there's a nice image browser/display application. I am sure
every GUI toolkit has that feature, since that is part of the intended
purpose of such a toolkit.

There are other ways of displaying images, like on a web page (generating
the image on the fly and streaming it to the client) or by remote
controlling an image display application.

All of this depends on what you want to do. Manipulating images ? RMagick
will probably do it. Displaying images ? Another library will do that.
Why don't you tell us what you intend to do ? That way our suggestions
can become more targetted.

yours truly,
kaspar

Martin DeMello

Kaspar Schiess <eule@space.ch> wrote:

> I would like to get back on this, since I cannot agree with what you say.
> ImageMagick works very well as far as its intended purpose goes on win32
> platforms, I use it frequently. It just can't #display images. This is
> now a documented limitation.
>
> There are a number of ways of achieving that goal, like using the Fox GUI
> toolkit for example (comes with the default installer); look at the
> examples, there's a nice image browser/display application. I am sure
> every GUI toolkit has that feature, since that is part of the intended
> purpose of such a toolkit.

Perhaps RMagick could handle the display call transparently even if
ImageMagick itself cannot - it'd be a nice feature, and one could
probably assume Tk and/or FOX on a windows+ruby system.

martin

Sarah Tanembaum

Kaspar Schiess wrote:
> Sarah Tanembaum wrote:
>

>>that works under native mswin323232 or at least with Cygwin X windows
>>server? ImageMagick so far won't work either in native windows or
>>Cygwin. Is there any other alternative? Thanks
>

> Hello Sarah,
>
> I would like to get back on this, since I cannot agree with what you say.
> ImageMagick works very well as far as its intended purpose goes on win32
> platforms, I use it frequently. It just can't #display images. This is
> now a documented limitation.
>
> There are a number of ways of achieving that goal, like using the Fox GUI
> toolkit for example (comes with the default installer); look at the
> examples, there's a nice image browser/display application. I am sure
> every GUI toolkit has that feature, since that is part of the intended
> purpose of such a toolkit.
>
> There are other ways of displaying images, like on a web page (generating
> the image on the fly and streaming it to the client) or by remote
> controlling an image display application.
>
> All of this depends on what you want to do. Manipulating images ? RMagick
> will probably do it. Displaying images ? Another library will do that.
> Why don't you tell us what you intend to do ? That way our suggestions
> can become more targetted.
>
> yours truly,
> kaspar

Thanks Kaspar. This is what I have. I have thousands of pictures that I
took over time using digital cameras as well as old photos that I
scanned. I'd like to create an application that I can use it using the
web as well as on the native environment(Windows, Linux, Solaris) for
cataloging.

So, with the above requirements, I probably need some kind of
graphics/image manipulation software(gd,ImageMagick, FOX,etc), a
database(I'm still trying to figure out what is the best SQL database I
should use - MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLLite, etc), a robust scripting
language(a choice between Ruby or PHP and correct me if I'm wrong, it is
also depend on what database I chose?), and Apache2, and it should work
under Windows, Linux, and Solaris.

I've use PHP a while ago, but I'm no expert. And recently, I've learn a
bit about Ruby and very interested learning more about it.

Any suggestion.

Thanks again.

Sarah

Sarah Tanembaum

Martin DeMello wrote:
> Kaspar Schiess <eule@space.ch> wrote:
>
>>I would like to get back on this, since I cannot agree with what you say.
>>ImageMagick works very well as far as its intended purpose goes on win32
>>platforms, I use it frequently. It just can't #display images. This is
>>now a documented limitation.
>>
>>There are a number of ways of achieving that goal, like using the Fox GUI
>>toolkit for example (comes with the default installer); look at the
>>examples, there's a nice image browser/display application. I am sure
>>every GUI toolkit has that feature, since that is part of the intended
>>purpose of such a toolkit.
>

> Perhaps RMagick could handle the display call transparently even if
> ImageMagick itself cannot - it'd be a nice feature, and one could
> probably assume Tk and/or FOX on a windows+ruby system.
>
> martin

Hi Martin, I was just about to ask the group the same thing? Does Ruby
has graphics utilities/features/functionalities that is quite
well-embedded just as gd with PHP?

Thanks.

Sarah

Chris Pine

Sarah Tanembaum wrote:
> Thanks Kaspar. This is what I have. I have thousands of pictures that I
> took over time using digital cameras as well as old photos that I
> scanned. I'd like to create an application that I can use it using the
> web as well as on the native environment(Windows, Linux, Solaris) for
> cataloging.

We did something similar:
http://pine.fm/Famil...

Is this sort of what you want, because I could just give you the code if
it suits your needs.

I'm not using a database, just the normal file system (in this case
ReiserFS, if you care). Pages are generated by a ruby CGI program
called by Apache2. Image resizing is done with RMagick/ImageMagick.
The info for each picture is stored in one huge Ruby hash (of hashes).
It's all very low-tech, but works well. The pages take a few seconds to
load; that's the load time for the gigantic hash I mentioned. (I will
probably set up a dRB server to hold the hash data for me, so I can get
rid of that load time... when I get around to it. :)

There's also an "admin" page for telling us about errors or
discrepancies in our picture data, which you might not see.

Finally, I wrote another program to download all of the pictures off of
our camera's memory card, extract the time the pictures were taken, and
generate some fill-in-the-blank Ruby code for adding the pictures to the
huge picture_info hash.

Like I said, it's low-tech, but it works.

Oh, and if you are looking for a Ruby tutorial, you might want to check
mine out:
http://pine.fm/Learn...

It's assuming no previous programming experience, so depending on where
you're coming from, it might be a bit slow. But just in case you might
find it helpful, I just thought I'd mention it.

Chris

Kaspar Schiess

Hello Sarah,

> Any suggestion.

I would suggest then you have a good look at what exists already. From my
own experiments, I know about a good 20 such applications, both native
(Windows, Linux) and Web based. They are mostly free (or at very little
charge) and provide you with proprietary databases that are optimized for
photo storage, sometimes just using Mysql as a backend.

What you describe is a rather big project (if entertaken seriously) and I
don't see why you would launch yourself into such a thing when you can just
download and install.

Of course, if you are just looking for a project to start some serious Ruby
programming with, this is it. You might want to sketch all of that down and
start doing examples with all the libraries involved, so as to get a 'feel
for the turf'. Ruby is a good language for such a task.

best of luck,
kaspar

hand manufactured code - www.tua.ch/ruby

Kaspar Schiess

Martin DeMello wrote in news:8cXxd.557131$nl.515593@pd7tw3no:

> Perhaps RMagick could handle the display call transparently even if
> ImageMagick itself cannot - it'd be a nice feature, and one could
> probably assume Tk and/or FOX on a windows+ruby system.

Yeah, I agree it would be kind of nice to not just display: "Sorry, but I
can't" to windows users when they use #display. But any support using a
third party library is eventually going to annoy somebody; if its done in
Fox, he is going to want to add his own stuff to the dialogue, and so on.

I'd still prefer to publish some sample code on how to display images in
all of the major tool kits (which is the only really useful thing) and have
people build their own display from that. I guess the code is there, but
we'd have to collect it..

Posts to this thread are welcome, if the quality is right, I will compile a
short how-to on rubymine on the subject. I can contribute the FOX code.

Whichever way, I think you agree that displaying images is obviously not a
core function of RMagick, just a nice to have for the example scripts.

kaspar

hand manufactured code - www.tua.ch/ruby

Austin Ziegler

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 00:35:22 +0900, Kaspar Schiess <eule@space.ch> wrote:
> Martin DeMello wrote in news:8cXxd.557131$nl.515593@pd7tw3no:
> > Perhaps RMagick could handle the display call transparently even if
> > ImageMagick itself cannot - it'd be a nice feature, and one could
> > probably assume Tk and/or FOX on a windows+ruby system.
> Yeah, I agree it would be kind of nice to not just display: "Sorry, but I
> can't" to windows users when they use #display. But any support using a
> third party library is eventually going to annoy somebody; if its done in
> Fox, he is going to want to add his own stuff to the dialogue, and so on.

Mmm. Why? #display is simply the default display mechanism. You still
don't get your choice of toolkit on X for that -- it gets displayed
with a raw X mechanism, right?

I still think that your alternative goal (sample scripts for each
toolkit) is a good thing, but for simple use, #display Just Working is
probably a good call.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com