RMagick 1.7.0 for Windows -- requires X Windows server?

Sarah Tanembaum

12/20/2004 2:41:00 AM

Tim has helped me in installing RMagick 1.7.0 but as I want to try the
example, I encounter a few errors.

C:\images>irb -r 'RMagick'
irb(main):001:0> cat = Magick::ImageList.new("N-1.JPG")
=> [N-1.JPG JPEG 720x480 DirectClass 8-bit 65kb]
scene=0
irb(main):002:0> cat.display
Magick::ImageMagickError: X Window library is not available `N-1.JPG':
from (irb):2:in `display'
from (irb):2
irb(main):003:0>

Does it require X Windows server? Or, can it use Windows native display?

Thanks

Sarah

I just want to test that my RMagick 1.7.0 went fine.
6 Answers

Kaspar Schiess

Hello Sarah,

> Does it require X Windows server? Or, can it use Windows native display?

I have always assumed that .display only used X-Windows display and that
therefore, this could not be made work. But now that you say I think there
is native display in ImageMagick. That means you just hit on a
configuration problem with my binary distribution. I will see if this can
be worked around/fixed in production release of 'RMagick'.

As I always display my images using a GUI toolkit or a browser, this has
never occurred to me as a problem. Sorry to have you hit on it.

yours, kaspar

hand manufactured code - www.tua.ch/ruby

Kaspar Schiess

Sarah Tanembaum wrote:

> Does it require X Windows server?

Hello Sarah,

After referring myself to some code, I can say that win32 native display is
not supported by ImageMagick. So I would have to compile and package
RMagick with an X windows server. This is not an immediate priority to me,
since that would bloat the RMagick 'gem' further.

So no, no Image#display on Win32 systems.

best regards,

Kaspar Schiess wrote:
> Sarah Tanembaum wrote:
>

>>Does it require X Windows server?
>

> Hello Sarah,
>
> After referring myself to some code, I can say that win32 native display is
> not supported by ImageMagick. So I would have to compile and package
> RMagick with an X windows server. This is not an immediate priority to me,
> since that would bloat the RMagick 'gem' further.
>
> So no, no Image#display on Win32 systems.
>
> best regards,
> kaspar
>
> hand manufactured code - www.tua.ch/ruby

Hi Kaspar, is it true that ImageMagick does not have native windows
display? PHP seems to work with the native windows, or perhaps thru the
browsers?

At any case, I tried it also with X Windows(cygwin) as well, and it
still give me the following error:

X:\websites\windev\images>irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'RMagick'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> include Magick
=> Object
irb(main):003:0> cat = ImageList.new("N-1.JPG")
=> [N-1.JPG JPEG 720x480 DirectClass 8-bit 65kb]
scene=0
irb(main):004:0> cat.display
Magick::ImageMagickError: X Window library is not available `N-1.JPG':
from (irb):4:in `display'
from (irb):4
irb(main):005:0>

Just to make sure, I'm able to display xterm, eyes, and any x
application that comes with cygwin.

Any ideas?

Tim Hunter

Sarah Tanembaum wrote:
> Hi Kaspar, is it true that ImageMagick does not have native windows
> display? PHP seems to work with the native windows, or perhaps thru the
> browsers?
>
> At any case, I tried it also with X Windows(cygwin) as well, and it
> still give me the following error:

Sarah,

RMagick's display and animate methods require a X server. This is part of
ImageMagick's *nix heritage. I need to be more explicit about this in the
documentation.

When I'm working on Windows I write the image to a file and then view it
with an external image viewer. You can view animated GIF files with your
web browser.

They don't work under Cygwin is because the RMagick gem is configured for
native Windows.

Sarah Tanembaum

Tim Hunter wrote:
> Sarah Tanembaum wrote:
>
>>Hi Kaspar, is it true that ImageMagick does not have native windows
>>display? PHP seems to work with the native windows, or perhaps thru the
>>browsers?
>>
>>At any case, I tried it also with X Windows(cygwin) as well, and it
>>still give me the following error:
>

> Sarah,
>
> RMagick's display and animate methods require a X server. This is part of
> ImageMagick's *nix heritage. I need to be more explicit about this in the
> documentation.
>
> When I'm working on Windows I write the image to a file and then view it
> with an external image viewer. You can view animated GIF files with your
> web browser.
>
> They don't work under Cygwin is because the RMagick gem is configured for
> native Windows.

Thanks for the info Tim. Just for curiosity, instead of using gem, can
you just compile the distribution using Cygwin X11 libraries?

Sarah

Tim Hunter

Sarah Tanembaum wrote:

> Thanks for the info Tim. Just for curiosity, instead of using gem, can
> you just compile the distribution using Cygwin X11 libraries?

I have (but not in a while) successfully installed RMagick on Cygwin by
building ImageMagick from source, followed by building RMagick from source.
ImageMagick also uses a number of dependent libraries (which ones depend
largely on what image formats you want to support). The last I heard Cygwin
had an easy-to-install X package, too.

The only recommendation I have is that you don't try to install RMagick over
the ImageMagick binary package for Cygwin. You'll only make yourself crazy
trying to make it work.

Perhaps somebody who's installed RMagick on Cygwin recently will speak up.