Rails-Tutorial

Rene Paulokat

12/19/2004 11:59:00 PM

hi,
i am new to ruby (but enthused...) and tried playing with Rails - under
guidance of the Tutorial (http://www.rubyonrails.org/sho...).
it took me some time to notice that my setup apache2/postgres is working
fine, but the first step in the tutorial 'creating database
rails_production' is quite mistakable.
to me it worked only if i also created the database 'rails_development'.

greetings

rene

--
gpg-key 8FC78254 http://www.so36.net/key...
fingerprint: E883 D359 3F56 51AF 0294 8BEB 16B3 15BD 8FC7 8254

10 Answers

Tim Bates

Rene Paulokat wrote:
> i am new to ruby (but enthused...) and tried playing with Rails - under
> guidance of the Tutorial (http://www.rubyonrails.org/sho...).
> it took me some time to notice that my setup apache2/postgres is working
> fine, but the first step in the tutorial 'creating database
> rails_production' is quite mistakable.
> to me it worked only if i also created the database 'rails_development'.

The tutorial is out-of-date. The development database is only required
for Rails versions 0.9 and later.

Tim.

--
Tim Bates
tim@bates.id.au

Sarah Tanembaum

Tim Bates wrote:
> Rene Paulokat wrote:
>
>> i am new to ruby (but enthused...) and tried playing with Rails - under
>> guidance of the Tutorial (http://www.rubyonrails.org/sho...).
>> it took me some time to notice that my setup apache2/postgres is working
>> fine, but the first step in the tutorial 'creating database
>> rails_production' is quite mistakable.
>> to me it worked only if i also created the database 'rails_development'.
>

> The tutorial is out-of-date. The development database is only required
> for Rails versions 0.9 and later.
>
> Tim.

Is there any recent tutorials? One other question is, what would be
better database to use with ruby in term of support and active
development -- MySQL or PostgreSQL?

I know that many has manage quite easily to use MySQL with PHP. Thanks

Sarah

Muir af Elfhjelm

Sarah Tanembaum wrote:
> Is there any recent tutorials? One other question is, what would be
> better database to use with ruby in term of support and active
> development -- MySQL or PostgreSQL?

SQLite would probably work just fine in this sort of an application,
too, and it has (a few) good Ruby libraries.

David Heinemeier Hansson

> Is there any recent tutorials?

An update to Vince's wonderful todo tutorial is brewing on
http://rails.hi.... Along side it, you'll find a tutorial for
testing with Rails. And documents on what's new in .9 and how to
upgrade from .8 to .9.

I'm also planning to redo the original video for .9. Originally, it was
a 10-minute thing. I'm confident that should be able to boil down to at
least half with all the new productivity enhancements and use of
WEBrick instead of Apache.

> One other question is, what would be better database to use with ruby
> in term of support and active development -- MySQL or PostgreSQL?

I'm personally on MySQL, but have SQLite and PostgreSQL installed for
testing as well. And there are plenty of Rails hackers working with
PostgreSQL. So if you need a lot of features from the database, like
stored procedures, views, triggers, and what have you, then PostgreSQL
is the way to go. If you don't care too much about that, I've found
MySQL easier to work with (but lets not get into that.. take it as a
statement of preference, not fact ;)).

> I know that many has manage quite easily to use MySQL with PHP. Thanks

Basecamp is running MySQL. All my new projects are running MySQL.
People have success with both MySQL and PostgreSQL. Talking about one
being "better" than the other is unhelpful, imho.
--
David Heinemeier Hansson,
http://www.basec... -- Web-based Project Management

gabriele renzi

David Heinemeier Hansson ha scritto:
>> Is there any recent tutorials?
>

> An update to Vince's wonderful todo tutorial is brewing on
> http://rails.hi.... Along side it, you'll find a tutorial for
> testing with Rails. And documents on what's new in .9 and how to upgrade
> from .8 to .9.

btw, rails.hieraki.org is reaaly nice. Are there plans to allow
exporting to pdf or other easy printable stuff?

Marcel Molina Jr.

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 05:37:04AM +0900, gabriele renzi wrote:
> David Heinemeier Hansson ha scritto:
> >>Is there any recent tutorials?
> >

> >An update to Vince's wonderful todo tutorial is brewing on
> >http://rails.hi.... Along side it, you'll find a tutorial for
> >testing with Rails. And documents on what's new in .9 and how to upgrade
> >from .8 to .9.
>
> btw, rails.hieraki.org is reaaly nice. Are there plans to allow
> exporting to pdf or other easy printable stuff?

There are plans for several kinds of exporting, including LaTeX
(ergo PDF). Currently there are (preliminary) yaml and rdoc exports.

Please submit bug reports/feature requests/patches at http://dev.hi....

marcel
--
Marcel Molina Jr. <marcel@vernix.org>

Dick Davies

* Sarah Tanembaum <sarahtanembaum@yahoo.com> [1237 12:37]:
> Tim Bates wrote:
> >The tutorial is out-of-date. The development database is only required
> >for Rails versions 0.9 and later.

> Is there any recent tutorials? One other question is, what would be
> better database to use with ruby in term of support and active
> development -- MySQL or PostgreSQL?
>
> I know that many has manage quite easily to use MySQL with PHP. Thanks

I think 99% of the net reads 'sql' as 'mysql', so if you are putting a
database together then probably try that. Just because you'll find more
howtos for it, etc.

Plus DHH hearts mysql <g>, so I'd expect a mysql backend to cause less
headaches for those who just want to follow a tutorial. I'm very glad I
don't have to, since DHH is trying to accomodate as many backends as is
practical. If I'd written rails, I'd like to think I'd be as flexible as
he's been.

If you have problems with a lot of mysqls warts (as I and many others do)
and already run postgresql for other apps (as I and many others do)
then that is a good choice, and seems to work well in my experience so
far.

--
'When the door hits you in the ass on the way out, clean off the smudge
your ass leaves, please'

gabriele renzi

Marcel Molina Jr. ha scritto:

>>btw, rails.hieraki.org is reaaly nice. Are there plans to allow
>>exporting to pdf or other easy printable stuff?
>

> There are plans for several kinds of exporting, including LaTeX
> (ergo PDF). Currently there are (preliminary) yaml and rdoc exports.

nice

> Please submit bug reports/feature requests/patches at http://dev.hi....

done (and doing.. hope you don't mind about too many feature requests :)

Austin Ziegler

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 20:03:41 +0900, Dick Davies
<rasputnik@hellooperator.net> wrote:
> * Sarah Tanembaum <sarahtanembaum@yahoo.com> [1237 12:37]:
>> Tim Bates wrote:
>>> The tutorial is out-of-date. The development database is only
>>> required for Rails versions 0.9 and later.
>> Is there any recent tutorials? One other question is, what would
>> be better database to use with ruby in term of support and active
>> development -- MySQL or PostgreSQL?
>> I know that many has manage quite easily to use MySQL with PHP.
>> Thanks
> I think 99% of the net reads 'sql' as 'mysql', so if you are
> putting a database together then probably try that. Just because
> you'll find more howtos for it, etc.

Not at all. A lot of FOSS developers use MySQL because it was easy
and cheap to set up, but most folks either (a) don't know about
databases or (b) have experienced real databases in some form or
another (a lot of people end up using databases at work). MySQL is
perhaps the worst database that I've ever used which has an SQL
interface (I once had to use Excel as a "database"; MySQL is perhaps
better than that).

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com
* Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca

Bil Kleb

Marcel Molina Jr. wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 05:37:04AM +0900, gabriele renzi wrote:
>>btw, rails.hieraki.org is reaaly nice. Are there plans to allow
>>exporting to pdf or other easy printable stuff?
>
> There are plans for several kinds of exporting, including LaTeX
> (ergo PDF).

Please announce when LaTeX export capability comes online.

Thanks!
--
Bil Kleb, Hampton, Virginia
http://fun3d.lar...