OT: vi useability question

Lothar Scholz

12/18/2004 11:07:00 PM

Hello ruby-talk,

i played a little bit with VI because i plan to add a compatibility
mode to ArachnoRuby and i found that returning from input to command
mode with escape breaks the VI rule of leaving your hands on the
keyboard.

I found that Control-I would be much better (and easy to remember)
then escape.

Is this just my personal problem or do others feel the same ?

Lothar Scholz http://www.ru...

Marcel Molina Jr.

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 08:07:28AM +0900, Lothar Scholz wrote:
> i played a little bit with VI because i plan to add a compatibility
> mode to ArachnoRuby and i found that returning from input to command
> mode with escape breaks the VI rule of leaving your hands on the
> keyboard.
>
> I found that Control-I would be much better (and easy to remember)
> then escape.
>
> Is this just my personal problem or do others feel the same ?

Other ways of leaving insert mode:

Ctrl-[
Ctrl-c
Ctrl-<Space>

marcel
--
Marcel Molina Jr. <marcel@vernix.org>

Harry Ohlsen

Lothar Scholz wrote:

> I found that Control-I would be much better (and easy to remember)
> then escape.

Vi in Arachno would probably be what finally decides me to buy it, so
this sounds great! However, ...

Unless I'm mistaken, Ctrl-I is what the TAB keys sends, so that's
probably not a good one to choose.

Also, if you decide to provide a different mapping, please make sure to
keep Esc, since anyone who has been using vi for a while (20+ years, in
my case) will curse you if it goes.

By the way, are you planning to include the command-line stuff? Seasoned
vi users probably make a lot of use of that. While Arachno will
presumably have ways to do most of them, again a long-time user will
find it painful to convert.

Cheers,

Harry O.

Michael DeHaan

Ah yes, vi emulation. I used SlickEdit's :w and :wq features for a
long time, just to be annoying and confuse coworkers! I have yet to
be a total heathen and suggest someone use vi emulation in emacs,
though I personally would like that :)

Actually my VI excuse for using ESC is that I already type 85+ wpm and
my fingers need to stretch/rest occasionally, permitting a little bit
of ESC key hitting :)

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 08:20:22 +0900, Harry Ohlsen <harryo@zip.com.au> wrote:
> Lothar Scholz wrote:
> >
> > I found that Control-I would be much better (and easy to remember)
> > then escape.
>
> Vi in Arachno would probably be what finally decides me to buy it, so
> this sounds great! However, ...
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, Ctrl-I is what the TAB keys sends, so that's
> probably not a good one to choose.
>
> Also, if you decide to provide a different mapping, please make sure to
> keep Esc, since anyone who has been using vi for a while (20+ years, in
> my case) will curse you if it goes.
>
> By the way, are you planning to include the command-line stuff? Seasoned
> vi users probably make a lot of use of that. While Arachno will
> presumably have ways to do most of them, again a long-time user will
> find it painful to convert.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Harry O.

Lothar Scholz

Hello Marcel,

MMJ> On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 08:07:28AM +0900, Lothar Scholz wrote:
>> i played a little bit with VI because i plan to add a compatibility
>> mode to ArachnoRuby and i found that returning from input to command
>> mode with escape breaks the VI rule of leaving your hands on the
>> keyboard.
>>
>> I found that Control-I would be much better (and easy to remember)
>> then escape.
>>
>> Is this just my personal problem or do others feel the same ?

MMJ> Other ways of leaving insert mode:

MMJ> Ctrl-[
MMJ> Ctrl-c
MMJ> Ctrl-<Space>

Thanks,
but only "Ctrl-c" works with my VIM 6.3.

And none of them are mentionend in the 3 key binding listings i found
on the web:

http://vh224401.truman.edu/~dbindner/mirror/...
http://www.selectorweb.c...
http://my.pages.de/vi-re...

So can you please tell me what version of VI or VIM you use.

Lothar Scholz http://www.ru...

Marcel Molina Jr.

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 12:53:07AM +0100, Lothar Scholz wrote:
> Hello Marcel,
>
> MMJ> On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 08:07:28AM +0900, Lothar Scholz wrote:
> >> i played a little bit with VI because i plan to add a compatibility
> >> mode to ArachnoRuby and i found that returning from input to command
> >> mode with escape breaks the VI rule of leaving your hands on the
> >> keyboard.
> >>
> >> I found that Control-I would be much better (and easy to remember)
> >> then escape.
> >>
> >> Is this just my personal problem or do others feel the same ?
>
> MMJ> Other ways of leaving insert mode:
>
> MMJ> Ctrl-[
> MMJ> Ctrl-c
> MMJ> Ctrl-<Space>
>
> Thanks,
> but only "Ctrl-c" works with my VIM 6.3.
>
> And none of them are mentionend in the 3 key binding listings i found
> on the web:
>
> http://vh224401.truman.edu/~dbindner/mirror/...
> http://www.selectorweb.c...
> http://my.pages.de/vi-re...
>
> So can you please tell me what version of VI or VIM you use.

I just tried in 6.3.25, 6.2.270 and 6.3.31 and all three worked though if
you go into vim, immediately go into insert mode and then try them only
Ctrl-c works (the other two reporting "No inserted text yet"), though
any such attempt beyond that will work the same for all three so maybe
it was this initial failure that signaled to you that only Ctrl-c works.

If you'd like to continue further we should probably take it off
list. Hope this helps.

marcel
--
Marcel Molina Jr. <marcel@vernix.org>

Lothar Scholz

Hello Harry,

HO> Lothar Scholz wrote:
>>
>> I found that Control-I would be much better (and easy to remember)
>> then escape.

HO> Also, if you decide to provide a different mapping, please make sure to
HO> keep Esc, since anyone who has been using vi for a while (20+ years, in
HO> my case) will curse you if it goes.

Of couse i will keep ESC.

HO> By the way, are you planning to include the command-line stuff? Seasoned
HO> vi users probably make a lot of use of that. While Arachno will
HO> presumably have ways to do most of them, again a long-time user will
HO> find it painful to convert.

At the moment i'm gathering information about the common VI
features and therefore i use the 3 vi reference cards

http://vh224401.truman.edu/~dbindner/mirror/...
http://www.selectorweb.c...
http://my.pages.de/vi-re...

and playing a little bit with GVIM 6.3
I think i will add all the mentionend commands, inclusive the
command-line stuff.

But some things may not be the same like the definition what a "word" is.

Lothar Scholz http://www.ru...

Aria Stewart

On Sun, 2004-12-19 at 08:07 +0900, Lothar Scholz wrote:
> Hello ruby-talk,
>
> i played a little bit with VI because i plan to add a compatibility
> mode to ArachnoRuby and i found that returning from input to command
> mode with escape breaks the VI rule of leaving your hands on the
> keyboard.
>
> I found that Control-I would be much better (and easy to remember)
> then escape.
>
> Is this just my personal problem or do others feel the same ?

It's your keyboard. The truly traditional keyboard has escape somewhere
near where the modern 104-key has the tilde.

The happy hacking keyboard gets it right.

Ari

Kloubakov, Yura

Others do feel the same. Please check the following tip
(Tip #285: Don't use the escape key!):

http://www.vim.org/tips/tip.php?...

I personally map <S-Enter> to <Esc> -- that works both on Windows
and Linux.

Regards,
Yura.

Roeland Moors

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 08:07:28AM +0900, Lothar Scholz wrote:
> Hello ruby-talk,
>
> i played a little bit with VI because i plan to add a compatibility
> mode to ArachnoRuby and i found that returning from input to command
> mode with escape breaks the VI rule of leaving your hands on the
> keyboard.
>
> I found that Control-I would be much better (and easy to remember)
> then escape.
>
> Is this just my personal problem or do others feel the same ?

For me the <esc> is very easy to type on my notebook keyboard,
but I have always trouble finding the <ctrl>. It's a small button
between <fn> and the windows button. Very annoying, so I try to
avoid that button.

--
Roeland

Stefan Schmiedl

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 09:01:48 +0900,
Lothar Scholz <mailinglists@scriptolutions.com> wrote:

> and playing a little bit with GVIM 6.3
> I think i will add all the mentionend commands, inclusive the
> command-line stuff.
>
> But some things may not be the same like the definition what a "word" is.

Hi Lothar,

at least vim allows you to define "what a 'word' is" by setting
iskeyword to a (set of) ranges of the appropriate character codes.
This setting is tailored to the respective file modes, e.g. while
typing this mail I have
:set iskeyword=@,48-57,_,192-255
which coincides what ruby-mode thinks. For my Forth work I am
using
:set iskeyword=33-255

s.