Ruby compiled for pentium4 vs prebuilt i386 package

Thursday

12/18/2004 9:52:00 PM

I'd do a benchmark myself except I don't have a pentium4 yet (still
shopping around).

Is there is a worthwhile performance gain by using the Ruby compiled for
pentium4 vs a prebuilt i386 package?

I'm wondering how much difference it would make on a pentium4-based
server that uses mod_ruby and/or fastcgi.
2 Answers

Steven Jenkins

Thursday wrote:
> I'd do a benchmark myself except I don't have a pentium4 yet (still
> shopping around).
>
> Is there is a worthwhile performance gain by using the Ruby compiled for
> pentium4 vs a prebuilt i386 package?

It's always risky to speculate about performance, but I would not expect
a signficant difference. In order to see such a difference, the compiled
Ruby interpreter would have to make use of P4-specific instructions,
your own applications would have to spend the majority of their time
there, and those P4-specific instructions would have to be a *lot*
faster than their 386 equivalents. Only the last condition seems likely
at all to me.

> I'm wondering how much difference it would make on a pentium4-based
> server that uses mod_ruby and/or fastcgi.

Most real-world applications spend more time IO-bound than CPU-bound. A
P4 waits faster than a 386, but it won't do you any good :-).

Steve

tuna

On Nov 6, 10:45 am, "saint joj" <jupiter...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ":))" <bennypo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 10:31:01 -0700 (PDT), TT <titi70...@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >>Ca'm o+n chi. HX, Pooh Be, bac Tuna, ba'c TrQThien, ba'c
> >>Bluewave...va` ba` con co^ ba'c scv,,,hehehe
>
> > Ne^'u co' di.p Pooh Be se~ dda~i TT mo^.t cha^`u ba'nh mi` thi.t
> > nguo^.i va` co*m ga` $1.50 nhe.
>
> mr pooh cheap la('m, a(n xong se~ gia? bo^. lo+ lo+ -de^? TT tra?
> tie^`n -do'  :-)))

khak hkahk hakhkah kah kahk hak hakha

DDu'ng la('m mo+` . Coai a(n ga^`n xong thi` anh Boo gia? bo^. ddi
"tha(m ba'c Ho^`"
Ngo^`i trong ddo' 15 phu't ro^`i la`m ngu+o+`i ta ddo+.i tre^~ gio+`

khak hakh kahk ahkah

tuna,