FXIconList with frequent changes

martinus

12/18/2004 4:46:00 PM

Hi, I am writing an application where I add, remove and modify random
items of an FXIconList quite frequently. The only possible way i know
to remove an item is through the index number. Unfortunately, whenever
I add/modify + sort the list, the index changes; and I have to do a
linear search to find the item I want to remove, which is painfully
slow. Does anyone know a better way to do this? I use fxruby 1.0.
martinus

9 Answers

Lyle Johnson

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 01:47:08 +0900, martinus <martin.ankerl@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I am writing an application where I add, remove and modify random
> items of an FXIconList quite frequently. The only possible way i know
> to remove an item is through the index number. Unfortunately, whenever
> I add/modify + sort the list, the index changes; and I have to do a
> linear search to find the item I want to remove, which is painfully
> slow. Does anyone know a better way to do this?

Right offhand, I don't think there's an easy fix, other than perhaps
storing the items' indices as their user data (and of course updating
each item's data ever time you make a change to the list that would
disrupt the indices. What kind of identifying information about the
item do you have when you get ready to remove it? Or do you have a
reference to the item itself?

Michele

"ErrolC" <Errolgc@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

Criticism on writing style from someone who doesn't even have the
politeness to acknowledge that there are a previous 15 parts that they
haven't read, and whose grammar could be kindly described as
"intermittently atrocious". How rude.

Thanks. It is to be said that I'm not writing this in my own mother tongue,
so my style could certainly be improved. But when that poster complains
about lack of focus, what he means is that a thread or a timeline aren't
going as he thought they should.

ErrolC

On Jul 15, 9:56 pm, "Michele" <nospammiar...@tin.it> wrote:
> "ErrolC" <Erro...@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggionews:a63600f0-69f3-4e25-9af8-457e12ec76c4@m3g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
>
>> Criticism on writing style from someone who doesn't even have the
>> politeness to acknowledge that there are a previous 15 parts that they
>> haven't read, and whose grammar could be kindly described as
>> "intermittently atrocious". How rude.
>
> Thanks. It is to be said that I'm not writing this in my own mother tongue,
> so my style could certainly be improved.

Your English in the instalments (which I assume you spend more time
reviewing for 'correctness' than responses to comments) is hard to
distinguish from someone using a slightly different (and unfamiliar to
me) variant of English - expressions and metaphors that I haven't come
across before, for instance. I can't remember more than a short pause
to work out what you mean by a particular phrase, and the very
occasional mis-use of a term. This hasn't left any doubts about your
meaning.

There are several possible meanings of 'style', but the overall
structure and point-of-view that you are using for the instalments is
one that is appropriate IMO.

> But when that poster complains
> about lack of focus, what he means is that a thread or a timeline aren't
> going as he thought they should.

Normally this would be the case, but I've seen Freck appear to
earnestly lecture on matters such as how to put forward an argument.
Often he seems to be paraphrasing something he has read - normally
applying reasonable generic advice out of context.
You've noted his lack of comprehension skills down-thread, which
combined with his bouts of random grammar mean that attempts at actual
discussion are normally short-lived.

As you already know what to expect, I'll just leave you with a request
to limit the time and effort you spend responding to him. I would much
rather you continue developing your fine timeline than try to address
every illogical utterance put forward.

--
Errol Cavit |
Il vino è la luce del sole catturata dall'acqua."

Paul J. Adam

In message <487c747a$0$18148$4fafbaef@reader3.news.tin.it>, Michele
<nospammiarmel@tin.it> writes
>Thanks. It is to be said that I'm not writing this in my own mother tongue,
>so my style could certainly be improved.

Not by much- it's clear, readable and flows well.

--
The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its
warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done

paul<dot>j<dot>adam[at]googlemail{dot}.com

On Jul 15, 9:56 pm, "Michele" <nospammiar...@tin.it> wrote:

>This hasn't left any doubts about your
meaning.

>There are several possible meanings of 'style', but the overall
structure and point-of-view that you are using for the instalments is
one that is appropriate IMO.

Thanks a lot, this is nice to hear but also useful as feedback.

> But when that poster complains
> about lack of focus, what he means is that a thread or a timeline aren't
> going as he thought they should.

>Normally this would be the case, but I've seen Freck appear to
earnestly lecture on matters such as how to put forward an argument.

I must have forgotten those gems, or missed them.

>As you already know what to expect,

Yes. The temptation was strong to keep ignoring him as I have begun doing
some time ago, but this is "his" topic, and I'm treating it for the first
time as a timeline of my own, so I decided it was fair to let him come
forward and speak, and get my replies, within reason. I want the timeline to
stand no matter who comes at it.

>I'll just leave you with a request
to limit the time and effort you spend responding to him.

Sure!

Rich Rostrom

"Michele" <nospammiarmel@tin.it> wrote:

> It is to be said that I'm not writing this in my own mother tongue,
>so my style could certainly be improved.

I disagree. Your writing ability
is better than 99% of native English
speakers, including the vast majority
of PhD level literature "scholars".
(Have you ever _tried_ to read "postmodern"
literary criticism?)

I see nothing in your style that could be improved.

And I mean that.

For one thing, your spelling and punctuation
are immaculate.

For another, your sentences don't drag
on for over a hundred words (I've edited at
least 50 Wiki articles just to fix such
monsters.)

But all this is OT, so to speak, or Meta.
--
| People say "There's a Stradivarius for sale for a |
| million," and you say "Oh, really? What's wrong |

Michele

"Rich Rostrom" <rrostrom.21stcentury@rcn.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> But all this is OT, so to speak, or Meta.

Yes, but I hope I can be excused if I thank you for your comments.

davidflin

On Jul 24, 10:15 am, The Horny Goat <lcra...@home.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:06:06 -0700, "Dimensional Traveler"
>
> <dtra...@sonic.net> wrote:
> >> Not too mention all those unsporting b***ards taking pot shots at you
> >> ;-)
>
> >"There is nothing less exhilarating than to be shot at by unsporting
> >bastards."  :D
>
> Wasn't it Churchill himself who said there was nothing more
> exhilarating than being shot and and missed?

It's a step up from being shot at and not missed.

pyotr filipivich

[Default] I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that
"Michele" <nospammiarmel@tin.it> wrote on Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:56:51
+0200 in soc.history.what-if :

>"ErrolC" <Errolgc@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>Criticism on writing style from someone who doesn't even have the
>politeness to acknowledge that there are a previous 15 parts that they
>haven't read, and whose grammar could be kindly described as
>"intermittently atrocious". How rude.
>
>Thanks. It is to be said that I'm not writing this in my own mother tongue,
>so my style could certainly be improved.

That might be true. But it is, as the British say "A ripping
yarn", even as I stumble over the occasional bit which I now know
comes from the author's translation problems, than writing skills.

> But when that poster complains
>about lack of focus, what he means is that a thread or a timeline aren't
>going as he thought they should.

"I hate it when that happens" If I wanted to know how it came out
before I read it, I'd write it myself.

--
pyotr filipivich
Most of the intelligentsia haven't studied history, so much