RMagick 1.7.0

Tim Hunter

12/18/2004 1:39:00 PM

RMagick enters its 3rd year.

This release is compatible with the latest versions of ImageMagick,
GraphicsMagick, and Ruby. Includes eight new methods. All known bugs have
been fixed.

Kaspar promises a 1.7.0 Windows gem very soon, too. Watch this space!
11 Answers

Aredridel

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 22:42:09 +0900, Tim Hunter <cyclists@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> RMagick enters its 3rd year.
>
> This release is compatible with the latest versions of ImageMagick,
> GraphicsMagick, and Ruby. Includes eight new methods. All known bugs have
> been fixed.

Excellent work, I might add. PLD's got the new version in its CVS tree already.

Tim Hunter

Tim Hunter wrote:

> RMagick enters its 3rd year.

Boy is my face red. I forgot this part:

RMagick is a binding for the ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick image processing
libraries. These libraries support more than 80 image formats including
GIF, JPEG, PNG, PDF, and EPS. RMagick features over 150 methods for image
creation, editing, and format conversion, and includes comprehensive HTML
documentation with more than 100 complete examples.

As always, RMagick is available at RubyForge: http://rmagick.rub...

Sarah Tanembaum

Tim Hunter wrote:
> Tim Hunter wrote:
>

>>RMagick enters its 3rd year.
>

> Boy is my face red. I forgot this part:
>
> RMagick is a binding for the ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick image processing
> libraries. These libraries support more than 80 image formats including
> GIF, JPEG, PNG, PDF, and EPS. RMagick features over 150 methods for image
> creation, editing, and format conversion, and includes comprehensive HTML
> documentation with more than 100 complete examples.
>
> As always, RMagick is available at RubyForge: http://rmagick.rub...

Does RMagick distribution include ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick
libraries or do I have to install both ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick
first before able to use RMagick? .

Thanks

Tim Hunter

Sarah Tanembaum wrote:

> Does RMagick distribution include ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick
> libraries or do I have to install both ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick
> first before able to use RMagick? .

The Windows binary gem includes ImageMagick. On all other platforms you need
to install either ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick first. RMagick configures
itself to the version you install.

Kaspar Schiess

> Kaspar promises a 1.7.0 Windows gem very soon, too. Watch this space!

I have just released a beta release of the 1.7.0 gem. I have nothing to add
to what Tim's said, except perhaps that the FreeTypeException bug that's
been bothering quite a number of people should be gone now. Happy beta
testing ! As always, a kiss on the forehead for everyone that reports a bug
(virtual kiss, that is).

yours, kaspar

hand manufactured code - www.tua.ch/ruby

Sarah Tanembaum

Tim Hunter wrote:
> Sarah Tanembaum wrote:
>

>>Does RMagick distribution include ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick
>>libraries or do I have to install both ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick
>>first before able to use RMagick? .
>>

> The Windows binary gem includes ImageMagick. On all other platforms you need
> to install either ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick first. RMagick configures
> itself to the version you install.

Thank Tim. By any change, is it available in gems yet?

Sarah

Tim Hunter

Sarah Tanembaum wrote:

> Thank Tim. By any change, is it available in gems yet?

Kaspar has a beta Windows gem available on RubyForge now. The production
version will be available soon. There is no gem for non-Windows platforms.

Get it here: http://rubyforge.org/projec...

Sarah Tanembaum

Tim Hunter wrote:
> Sarah Tanembaum wrote:
>

>>Does RMagick distribution include ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick
>>libraries or do I have to install both ImageMagick and GraphicsMagick
>>first before able to use RMagick? .
>>

> The Windows binary gem includes ImageMagick. On all other platforms you need
> to install either ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick first. RMagick configures
> itself to the version you install.

I downloaded the MSWIN32 version and extracted to my temp directory.
Then, I tried to use gem but it gives me the following error:

c:\temp\ruby\RMagick-1.7.0-IM-6.1.5-gem\RMagick-1.7.0-gem>gem install
--local RMagick-win32-1.7.0-mswin32.gem
Attempting local installation of 'RMagick-win32-1.7.0-mswin32.gem'
ERROR: Error installing gem RMagick-win32-1.7.0-mswin32.gem[.gem]:
buffer error

Anyone has any idea? Thanks

Tim Hunter

Sarah Tanembaum wrote:

> I downloaded the MSWIN32 version and extracted to my temp directory.
> Then, I tried to use gem but it gives me the following error:
>
> c:\temp\ruby\RMagick-1.7.0-IM-6.1.5-gem\RMagick-1.7.0-gem>gem install
> --local RMagick-win32-1.7.0-mswin32.gem
> Attempting local installation of 'RMagick-win32-1.7.0-mswin32.gem'
> ERROR: Error installing gem RMagick-win32-1.7.0-mswin32.gem[.gem]:
> buffer error
>
> Anyone has any idea? Thanks

Sorry you're having trouble, Sarah.

This is really a question for Kaspar, but iirc the recommended way to
install this gem is to cd to the directory where you downloaded the gem and
then enter the command

gem install rmagick

You will also need to run a post-install step to configure RMagick to use
the fonts on your machine. As always, the README file will have correct and
complete instructions.

I'm sure Kaspar will correct me if I've misled you.

Sarah Tanembaum

Tim Hunter wrote:
> Sarah Tanembaum wrote:
>

>>Thank Tim. By any change, is it available in gems yet?
>

> Kaspar has a beta Windows gem available on RubyForge now. The production
> version will be available soon. There is no gem for non-Windows platforms.
>
> Get it here: http://rubyforge.org/projec...
I did get it and installed them. Then I try to use irb,

irb(main):001:0> require 'RMagick'
LoadError: 126: The specified module could not be found. -
x:/apps/ruby/ruby-1
..8/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/RMagick-win32-1.7.0-mswin32/lib/RMagick.so
from
x:/apps/ruby/ruby-1.8/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/RMagick-win32-1.7.0-mswin32/lib/RMagick.so
from
x:/apps/ruby/ruby-1.8/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
`require'
from
x:/apps/ruby/ruby-1.8/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/RMagick-win32-1.7.0-mswin32/lib/RMagick.rb:11
from
x:/apps/ruby/ruby-1.8/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
`require__'
from
x:/apps/ruby/ruby-1.8/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/loadpath_manager.rb:5:in
`require'
from (irb):1
irb(main):002:0>

In the pop-up windows it complained about libjpeg.6.dll. Before, it
complained about libbz2.dll, but then I put it in under
c:\windows\system32\libbz2.dll and the pop-up error dissaper, but now
where can I find libjpeg.6.dll and perhaps other might be required to
run RMagick correctly. Thanks