ri question

Its Me

12/16/2004 10:15:00 PM

Where does ri look for its docs? ri -help says "the standard rdoc/ri
directories".

Is there a way (preferably some path-based environment variable) to make ri
also look at gems-based docs?
ri --help mentions "--doc-dir", and the 'RI' env variable, but what should
be set to what?

Thanks!

3 Answers

Ralf Müller

Am Donnerstag, 16. Dezember 2004 23:17 schrieb itsme213:
> Where does ri look for its docs? ri -help says "the standard rdoc/ri
> directories".
>
> Is there a way (preferably some path-based environment variable) to make ri
> also look at gems-based docs?
> ri --help mentions "--doc-dir", and the 'RI' env variable, but what should
> be set to what?
>
> Thanks!

It's $HOME/.rdoc on my machine.

regards
ralf

James Britt

Ralf Müller wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 16. Dezember 2004 23:17 schrieb itsme213:
>
>>Where does ri look for its docs? ri -help says "the standard rdoc/ri
>>directories".
>>
>>Is there a way (preferably some path-based environment variable) to make ri
>>also look at gems-based docs?
>> ri --help mentions "--doc-dir", and the 'RI' env variable, but what should
>>be set to what?
>>
>>Thanks!
>

> It's $HOME/.rdoc on my machine.

But will ri find any ri data files in the gems directory?

James

Dave Thomas

On Dec 18, 2004, at 14:32, James Britt wrote:

>>> Where does ri look for its docs? ri -help says "the standard rdoc/ri
>>> directories".

You can find our where documentation is searched for on your system
with the command

% ruby -r rdoc/ri/ri_paths -e 'p RI::Paths::PATH'

This doesn't list every directory searched--just those that exist.

By default, ri looks in

# system:: $datadir/ri/<ver>/system/...
# site:: $datadir/ri/<ver>/site/...
# user:: ~/.rdoc

where datadir is defined by the Ruby configuration.

> But will ri find any ri data files in the gems directory?

No, because it doesn't know about them. You might have 50 Gems
installed, some with multiple versions.

The Gems and RPA folks were supposed to be coming up with some j=kind
of joint standard to allow ri to find these additional directories, but
that seems to have gone quiet.

Cheers

Dave