RDoc- Merging docs, ri

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

I have a couple of RDoc questions:

1. is there a way to generate rdoc so you can do "rdoc <filename>. I
often remember the require filename (e.g. require "log4r") but forget
the class names.

2. can rdoc merge multiple sources of documentation? e.g. if I open a
class and add new members in a second ruby file, I might want the
comments added to the main files rdoc (ideally with an appropriate
header "customerString.rb Additions:" or like).

Thanks,
Nick
--
Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

2 Answers

Dave Thomas

On Dec 15, 2004, at 22:28, Nicholas Van Weerdenburg wrote:

> 1. is there a way to generate rdoc so you can do "rdoc <filename>. I
> often remember the require filename (e.g. require "log4r") but forget
> the class names.

If you use the web interface (lloking at the HTML) it shows you the
file names, and you can click on them. ri doesn't support this.

> 2. can rdoc merge multiple sources of documentation? e.g. if I open a
> class and add new members in a second ruby file, I might want the
> comments added to the main files rdoc (ideally with an appropriate
> header "customerString.rb Additions:" or like).

When generating ri output, rdoc merges descriptions. Whren generating
html, it work, but only if you supply all the sources of the
information at the same time (ie go rdoc file1.rb file2.rb)

Cheers

Dave

Nicholas Van Weerdenburg

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 06:30:37 +0900, Dave Thomas <pragdave@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 15, 2004, at 22:28, Nicholas Van Weerdenburg wrote:
>
> > 1. is there a way to generate rdoc so you can do "rdoc <filename>. I
> > often remember the require filename (e.g. require "log4r") but forget
> > the class names.

Ooops. Meant "ri <filename>".

> If you use the web interface (lloking at the HTML) it shows you the
> file names, and you can click on them. ri doesn't support this.
>

> > 2. can rdoc merge multiple sources of documentation? e.g. if I open a
> > class and add new members in a second ruby file, I might want the
> > comments added to the main files rdoc (ideally with an appropriate
> > header "customerString.rb Additions:" or like).
>
> When generating ri output, rdoc merges descriptions. Whren generating
> html, it work, but only if you supply all the sources of the
> information at the same time (ie go rdoc file1.rb file2.rb)
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave

Thanks. I'll try that.

--