problem with Resolv.rb

pat eyler

12/14/2004 11:27:00 PM

There's an unreasonable limit in resolv.rb:

at about line 1338:

class NS < DomainName
TypeValue = 2
end

which means you can only get the first to name servers back. Can this
be overridden at runtime (it complains about it being an already
initialized constant when I try)? If it can not be overridden, would
it be reasonable to bump this up to some other number (10 or so) in
the distributed version of resolv.rb?

thanks,
-pate

2 Answers

Tanaka Akira

In article <6fd0654b04121415262d7403ee@mail.gmail.com>,
pat eyler <pat.eyler@gmail.com> writes:

> There's an unreasonable limit in resolv.rb:
>
> at about line 1338:
>
> class NS < DomainName
> TypeValue = 2
> end

This corresponds to RFC 1035:

| TYPE value and meaning
|
| A 1 a host address
|
| NS 2 an authoritative name server
Tanaka Akira

pat eyler

Tanaka,
thanks for the reply. It looks like we misunderstood something then
when we were troubleshooting our problem. Only 2 NS records are
returned in our test (dig returns all 4), The only place we saw what
looked like a limit was the TypeValue. Is the limit being enforced
somewhere else?

I'm away from the office right now, so I don't have access to the
code, but I can share it tomorrow.

-pate