Ruby Wiki engine w/ability to upload files

Bil Kleb

12/14/2004 8:23:00 PM

Hello again,

Another internal project team would like to start
up a Wiki, but it needs to have file upload support
(PDF,.doc,.ppt, and so forth).

Do any of the Ruby engines support this? (I'm having
a hard time answering this via dialup on the road.)

Thanks,
--
Bil Kleb, Hampton, Virginia
11 Answers

Michael DeHaan

I haven't found one either... I'd like one.

TWiki.org's is Perl based, haven't read the code closely, but is very
powerful for intranet document management and such.... Permissions
control is fairly fine-grained depending on what you want to do with
it, and there are some shiny skins available.

--MPD

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 05:32:18 +0900, Bil Kleb <Bil.Kleb@nasa.gov> wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> Another internal project team would like to start
> up a Wiki, but it needs to have file upload support
> (PDF,.doc,.ppt, and so forth).
>
> Do any of the Ruby engines support this? (I'm having
> a hard time answering this via dialup on the road.)
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Bil Kleb, Hampton, Virginia

Austin Ziegler

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 05:32:18 +0900, Bil Kleb <Bil.Kleb@nasa.gov> wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> Another internal project team would like to start
> up a Wiki, but it needs to have file upload support
> (PDF,.doc,.ppt, and so forth).
>
> Do any of the Ruby engines support this? (I'm having
> a hard time answering this via dialup on the road.)

There is a patch for this for Instiki. Ruwiki will have it later in 2005.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com
* Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca

Esteban Manchado Velázquez

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 06:07:45AM +0900, Michael DeHaan wrote:
> I haven't found one either... I'd like one.
>
> TWiki.org's is Perl based, haven't read the code closely, but is very
> powerful for intranet document management and such.... Permissions
> control is fairly fine-grained depending on what you want to do with
> it, and there are some shiny skins available.

TWiki is very powerful, but the code is not very good. However, it's easy
to extend via plugins.

Its permissions are not terribly good. At least, I have yet to understand
how they work (may be bugs, though, because few people use fine-grained
permissions in Wikis).

I recommend trying it out (easy to install.... or terribly hard, compared
to Instiki O:-) ) and see for yourself. And install PhotonSkin (at least,
photonsearch), written by my company (we use it everyday for almost
everything). The search function in TWiki sucks badly.

Regards,

--
Esteban Manchado Velázquez <zoso@foton.es> - http://ww...
EuropeSwPatentFree - http://EuropeSwPatentFree.his...

Michael DeHaan

Regarding the Ruwiki vs Instiki, etc -- do any support the idea of
optionally requiring a username/password to post? I generally like
the idea of running Wiki's in place of home pages, and would want a
system that only I could edit... Apache level games to make this
happen would be perfectly fine (htaccess). It's a little hard for me
to tell my reading docs, I guess the next step is to just install both
and try it.

And yes, if I can keep from installing TWiki again, that would be a
good thing :) KWiki (also Perl) offered installation promise but
somehow it managed to fall short on my machine (many plugins didn't
build).

--MPD

Austin Ziegler

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 06:48:33 +0900, Michael DeHaan
<michael.dehaan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding the Ruwiki vs Instiki, etc -- do any support the idea of
> optionally requiring a username/password to post? I generally like
> the idea of running Wiki's in place of home pages, and would want
> a system that only I could edit... Apache level games to make
> this happen would be perfectly fine (htaccess). It's a little
> hard for me to tell my reading docs, I guess the next step is to
> just install both and try it.

Yes, but in Ruwiki I do not at this point have an authentication
mechanism which detects Apache/htaccess login detection. If you want
to add one, see the GForge authenticator[1] for the first
authenticator -- but remember that the authentication API is
unstable. Using this will enable you to have the edit button appear
only when authorized users are enabled.

Instiki is, IMO, less suitable for most homepage replacements
because it requires a full-time process rather than a CGI. (It can
do CGI with a proxy, but it still requires a full-time process.)

I cannot promise a lot of support between now and the new year for
Ruwiki, but I will attempt to answer any questions you have, at
least until I go to Cuba.

-austin
[1] lib/ruwiki/auth/gforge.rb
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com
* Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca

Michael DeHaan

Ok, thanks ... will check it out (and maybe even submit some patches
depending on how things go).

The added process from WebBrick (Rails) isn't really a huge problem as
my server needs something to do to earn it's keep :) It's just mostly
collecting (and attracting) dust now. I know how to add
ad-hoc-session authentication to a rails app if need be, I've done it
before.

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 06:58:23 +0900, Austin Ziegler <halostatue@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 06:48:33 +0900, Michael DeHaan
> <michael.dehaan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Regarding the Ruwiki vs Instiki, etc -- do any support the idea of
> > optionally requiring a username/password to post? I generally like
> > the idea of running Wiki's in place of home pages, and would want
> > a system that only I could edit... Apache level games to make
> > this happen would be perfectly fine (htaccess). It's a little
> > hard for me to tell my reading docs, I guess the next step is to
> > just install both and try it.
>
> Yes, but in Ruwiki I do not at this point have an authentication
> mechanism which detects Apache/htaccess login detection. If you want
> to add one, see the GForge authenticator[1] for the first
> authenticator -- but remember that the authentication API is
> unstable. Using this will enable you to have the edit button appear
> only when authorized users are enabled.
>
> Instiki is, IMO, less suitable for most homepage replacements
> because it requires a full-time process rather than a CGI. (It can
> do CGI with a proxy, but it still requires a full-time process.)
>
> I cannot promise a lot of support between now and the new year for
> Ruwiki, but I will attempt to answer any questions you have, at
> least until I go to Cuba.
>
> -austin
> [1] lib/ruwiki/auth/gforge.rb
> --
> Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com
> * Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca

Austin Moody

The file upload patch for instiki works great. We've been using it for
an internal project at work for several months now with no problems.

ptkwt

In article <1103059241.320170.226610@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Austin Moody <medalliance@gmail.com> wrote:
>The file upload patch for instiki works great. We've been using it for
>an internal project at work for several months now with no problems.

When will this go from being a patch to being included in an Instiki
release?

Phil

Thomas Counsell

I've written* a wiki based on webrick and redcloth that allows
authentication (using the standard webrick authentication handlers) and
file uploads. It also has automatic linking between pages (which some
people love, and some people don't -
http://www.instiki.org/show/Automa... ), calendar, and sort of
blog style summary page support.

What it doesn't have is a lot of testing or an established track
record+, so may not be appropriate for the original poster.

I'm going to put it on rubyforge over the next few weeks, but I thought
I would mention it on this thread as well, in case anyone feels an
interest.

Tom
* I know this is a bit of 're-inventing the wheel' rather than
improving the other good wikis out there, but I fancied the challenge
as part of my 'learning ruby' process.
+ But my university group use it as a team wiki, and it is starting to
be used in a couple of other places around the university.

On 14 Dec 2004, at 20:32, Bil Kleb wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> Another internal project team would like to start
> up a Wiki, but it needs to have file upload support
> (PDF,.doc,.ppt, and so forth).
>
> Do any of the Ruby engines support this? (I'm having
> a hard time answering this via dialup on the road.)
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Bil Kleb, Hampton, Virginia

John Wilger

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:00:18 +0900, Thomas Counsell <tamc2@cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> I'm going to put it on rubyforge over the next few weeks, but I thought
> I would mention it on this thread as well, in case anyone feels an
> interest.

Sounds interesting. Be sure to make an announcement when it goes up
for public consumption.

--
Regards,
John Wilger

Alice came to a fork in the road. "Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
- Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland