Re: Recommened readings?

Gavri Savio Fernandez

12/14/2004 3:36:00 PM

> From: John Trunek [mailto:jtrunek@hotmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Recommened readings?

> > For your purposes, the first edition would probably be
> sufficient. You
> > can get it free online at
> > http://www.ruby-doc.org/docs/Progra...
> >
> > However, if you want to start actually _using_ Ruby, the 2nd edition
> > is definitely worth the money.
> >

> Is this just excerpts? It seemed a bit brief, although it
> worked wonderfully
> for my paper. Now I'm really interested in learning more about ruby.

No. It's the whole book. I have felt the same way, that the book is choppy at times and lacks continuity between chapters....Hope I'm not commiting sacrilege here...I was just so glad that someone else felt the same way that I had to nod in agreement :)

gavri

This message, including any attachments, contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is intended for the addressee only. Any unauthorized disclosure, use, dissemination, copying, or distribution of this message or any of its attachments or the information contained in this e-mail, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this message.

3 Answers

John Wilger

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:35:58 +0900, Gavri Savio Fernandez
<gavrif@virtusa.com> wrote:
> No. It's the whole book. I have felt the same way, that the book is choppy at times and
> lacks continuity between chapters....Hope I'm not commiting sacrilege here...I was just
> so glad that someone else felt the same way that I had to nod in agreement :)

2nd edition seemed to be a bit better in that regard, IMHO. Also, I
think part of that "feeling" comes from reading the first edition
online (at least for me).

--
Regards,
John Wilger

-----------
Alice came to a fork in the road. "Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
- Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland

Michael Ulm

John Wilger wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:35:58 +0900, Gavri Savio Fernandez
> <gavrif@virtusa.com> wrote:
>
>>No. It's the whole book. I have felt the same way, that the book is choppy at times and
>>lacks continuity between chapters....Hope I'm not commiting sacrilege here...I was just
>>so glad that someone else felt the same way that I had to nod in agreement :)
>

> 2nd edition seemed to be a bit better in that regard, IMHO. Also, I
> think part of that "feeling" comes from reading the first edition
> online (at least for me).

I bought the dead tree variant before I encountered the online version.
The printed book was definitely smoother reading, while I agree that the
computerized version feels choppy. The reference section on "Built in
Classes and Methods" however is better reading online. All in all, it
is interesting to see the how different presenting methods influence
the reading experience.

Michael

--
Michael Ulm
R&D Team

Martin Ambuhl

On 4/11/2011 2:14 PM, Phil wrote:
> On Apr 10, 7:09 am, "Lorne"<lorne_ander...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My advice is only double 1N if you are confident you know what to lead. If
>> not sure then pass.
>
> This is key. Declarer's strategy will be to keep throwing you in so
> that you have to lead up to his suits and into his tenaces. So the
> strongest asset the defender can have is a suit that can be led again
> and again safely. Like QJ10x.

The suit need not be strong. Consider Reese & Dormer's example:
S:AQx H:KQx D:9xxxx C:AQ
The point of leading from QJTx (perhaps you should have the nine also)
or from 9xxxx is that you can lead the suit without giving anything
away. The need to safely lead several times to set up you tricks makes
QJTx not that attractive (the 3rd lead may not be so comfortable); QJT9
is so much better.