Problem building wxRuby: htmlproc.h not found

Andreas Schwarz

12/12/2004 2:23:00 PM

I'm trying to build wxRuby 6.0 on Linux (Ubuntu). When I run make I get
an error because htmlproc.h is not found (it does not exist in the Linux
version of wxWidgets). I see that the html* object files are removed
from $objs in the extconf.rb if /linux/ =~ RUBY_PLATFORM, but still the
Makefile tries to build them.

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-08-24) [i386-linux]
$ wx-config --version
2.4.2
5 Answers

Nick

I've heard of this before. Try running this line and send me the output

ruby -e "p RUBY_PLATFORM"

Nick

Andreas Schwarz wrote:
> I'm trying to build wxRuby 6.0 on Linux (Ubuntu). When I run make I get
> an error because htmlproc.h is not found (it does not exist in the Linux
> version of wxWidgets). I see that the html* object files are removed
> from $objs in the extconf.rb if /linux/ =~ RUBY_PLATFORM, but still the
> Makefile tries to build them.
>
> $ ruby -v
> ruby 1.8.2 (2004-08-24) [i386-linux]
> $ wx-config --version
> 2.4.2

Andreas Schwarz

Nick wrote:

> I've heard of this before. Try running this line and send me the output
>
> ruby -e "p RUBY_PLATFORM"

I don't have access to the system at the moment, but I know that /linux/
=~ RUBY_PLATFORM is true. I put some debug statements in the extconf.rb
to make sure that the html* objects are removed from $objs, and they were.

Nick

It's possible the depends file has references to it. My linux box bit
the big one, but I'll look into it.

Nick

Andreas Schwarz wrote:
> Nick wrote:
>

>> I've heard of this before. Try running this line and send me the output
>>
>> ruby -e "p RUBY_PLATFORM"
>

> I don't have access to the system at the moment, but I know that /linux/
> =~ RUBY_PLATFORM is true. I put some debug statements in the extconf.rb
> to make sure that the html* objects are removed from $objs, and they were.

Zach Dennis

Nick wrote:

> I've heard of this before. Try running this line and send me the output
>
> ruby -e "p RUBY_PLATFORM"
>
> Nick
>

> Andreas Schwarz wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to build wxRuby 6.0 on Linux (Ubuntu). When I run make I
>> get an error because htmlproc.h is not found (it does not exist in the
>> Linux version of wxWidgets). I see that the html* object files are
>> removed from $objs in the extconf.rb if /linux/ =~ RUBY_PLATFORM, but
>> still the Makefile tries to build them.
>>
>> $ ruby -v
>> ruby 1.8.2 (2004-08-24) [i386-linux]
>> $ wx-config --version
>> 2.4.2

I've had this problem on my Windows box, but I do not have this problem
on my linux box. I have the same setup and I do not get the same problem
with wxRuby 0.6.0 on my Debian box. I am also using wxWindows 2.4.2.

1 - My html*.h files are in my /usr/include/wx/html directory. Are they
in yours? If not, if you do a find, where are they located, and is that
path in your extconf.rb file? (Looking for path discrepanices here)

2- Do you get anything to compile or does it fail on the html*.h files
right off the start?

3- Do you have wxWindows src? and not just devel tools. I know w/Debian
there are a few different wxWindows packages available...

Zach

Nick

Zach,

The default wxGTK 2.4.2 doesn't include one of the HTML files (by
accident). It's the whole reason we need to remove the functionality for
linux.

Nick