Writing GUI's in Ruby

JustDoIt

12/12/2004 4:22:00 AM

I'm new to Ruby and I am looking for a list of "main stream" libraies for
writing GUI application in Ruby. I have found the obvious choices that ship
with Ruby.

Tcl/Tk
FXRuby

Are their any others worth lookin into.

9 Answers

Zach Dennis

Hobby Racer wrote:
> I'm new to Ruby and I am looking for a list of "main stream" libraies for
> writing GUI application in Ruby. I have found the obvious choices that ship
> with Ruby.
>
> Tcl/Tk
> FXRuby
>
> Are their any others worth lookin into.

Be sure to checkout wxRuby.

http://wxruby.rub...

Zach

James Britt

Hobby Racer wrote:
> I'm new to Ruby and I am looking for a list of "main stream" libraies for
> writing GUI application in Ruby. I have found the obvious choices that ship
> with Ruby.
>
> Tcl/Tk
> FXRuby
>
> Are their any others worth lookin into.

You may also want to consider using HTML, served up by a local instance
of WEBrick.

James

Richard Lyman

FXRuby is included in the Windows 'One-click-installer'

-Rich

Erik Veenstra

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 04:21:38 +0000, Hobby Racer wrote:

> I'm new to Ruby and I am looking for a list of "main stream" libraies for
> writing GUI application in Ruby. I have found the obvious choices that
> ship with Ruby.
>
> Tcl/Tk
> FXRuby
>
> Are their any others worth lookin into.

RubyWebDialogs [1].

gegroet,
Erik V.

[1] http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubywebdialogs/...

gabriele renzi

Hobby Racer ha scritto:
> I'm new to Ruby and I am looking for a list of "main stream" libraies for
> writing GUI application in Ruby. I have found the obvious choices that ship
> with Ruby.
>
> Tcl/Tk
> FXRuby

and (not yet pointed out) there are ruby/gtk and qtruby

Thomas Counsell

And if you are on a Mac, then rubycocoa (
http://rubycocoa.source... ) is very handy. Tom

----
Tom Counsell. http://tom.co...

On 12 Dec 2004, at 04:22, Hobby Racer wrote:

> I'm new to Ruby and I am looking for a list of "main stream" libraies
> for
> writing GUI application in Ruby. I have found the obvious choices
> that ship
> with Ruby.
>
> Tcl/Tk
> FXRuby
>
> Are their any others worth lookin into.

Michael C. Libby

On Sun, 2004-12-12 at 13:22 +0900, Hobby Racer wrote:
> I'm new to Ruby and I am looking for a list of "main stream" libraies for
> writing GUI application in Ruby. I have found the obvious choices that ship
> with Ruby.
>
> Tcl/Tk
> FXRuby
>
> Are their any others worth lookin into.

Good summary of what GUIs are available:
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?ComparingGuiToolki...

Personally I prefer ruby-gtk2 from ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp--a choice
I made because:

1) both gtk+ and the Ruby libs are LGPL,
2) gtk+ is core of GNOME desktop (so my Ruby GUI apps are consistent
with my desktop and most of my other main applications),
3) gtk+ and ruby-gnome are written in C (not a big deal, but it was a
factor for me),
4) ruby-gtk2 API is extremely easy to learn and use (lots of optional
arguments and sensible defaults),
5) runs on MS Windows (with big downloads but minimal hoop jumping)*,
6) well-documented (if ruby-gnome2 project doesn't have something
documented the API docs at www.gnome.org do--not hard to understand how
to "translate"),
7) flexible (widgets use existing desktop themes, are otherwise very
configurable).

* Question: would it be possible for one-click installer to include
ruby-gtk2, perhaps as a flavor or add-on? What if bribery were
involved? :)

- mcl, www.andsoforth.com

JustDoIt

Excellent suggestions. Thank you everyone.

"Hobby Racer" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> I'm new to Ruby and I am looking for a list of "main stream" libraies for
> writing GUI application in Ruby. I have found the obvious choices that
> ship with Ruby.
>
> Tcl/Tk
> FXRuby
>
> Are their any others worth lookin into.