A neat article on Rails performance...

Tom Copeland

12/10/2004 3:21:00 PM

...using various session storage containers is here:

http://elitists.net/~kain/sessions/...

It's by Scott Barron of EliteJournal fame:

http://rubyforge.org/projects/eli...

Nice article (and lovely charts) Scott!

Yours,

tom

5 Answers

Scott Barron

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:20:39 +0900, Tom Copeland <tom@infoether.com> wrote:
> ...using various session storage containers is here:
>
> http://elitists.net/~kain/sessions/...
>
> It's by Scott Barron of EliteJournal fame:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/eli...
>
> Nice article (and lovely charts) Scott!
>
> Yours,
>
> tom

Thanks Tom. Wow, I actually meant to post that here when I put it up
but all the turkey from the holidays must have messed with my already
unstable mind. I've actually got a slightly edited (and LaTeXed)
version that I presented to the people who want to know how I spend my
time in exchange for their money. I'll make that available in the
very near future (it's a PDF and the charts aren't as pretty, but
that's OK :).

Thanks
-Scott

Matt Lawrence

Eric Hodel

On 10 Dec 2004, at 07:20, Tom Copeland wrote:

> ...using various session storage containers is here:
>
> http://elitists.net/~kain/sessions/...
>
> It's by Scott Barron of EliteJournal fame

Since I see Scott reads this list,

> This test was done on NetBSDs FFS which seems to slow down greatly
> when creating files in a directory containing hundreds of thousands
> of files.

Are you using UFS dirhashing?

From FreeBSD's NOTES file (I believe Free got it from Net):

# Directory hashing improves the speed of operations on very large
# directories at the expense of some memory.
options UFS_DIRHASH

Tom Copeland

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 10:54, Scott Barron wrote:
> > http://elitists.net/~kain/sessions/...
> Thanks Tom. Wow, I actually meant to post that here when I put it up
> but all the turkey from the holidays must have messed with my already
> unstable mind. I've actually got a slightly edited (and LaTeXed)
> version that I presented to the people who want to know how I spend my
> time in exchange for their money. I'll make that available in the
> very near future (it's a PDF and the charts aren't as pretty, but
> that's OK :).

It's a cool article - I ran across a link to it from Brian McAllister's
entry on http://planeta....

If your employers would approve, I bet it'd make a good article to
publish somewhere... Linux Journal or something...

Yours,

Tom

Scott Barron

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 04:13:08 +0900, Eric Hodel <drbrain@segment7.net> wrote:
> On 10 Dec 2004, at 07:20, Tom Copeland wrote:
>
> > ...using various session storage containers is here:
> >
> > http://elitists.net/~kain/sessions/...
> >
> > It's by Scott Barron of EliteJournal fame
>
> Since I see Scott reads this list,
>
> > This test was done on NetBSDs FFS which seems to slow down greatly
> > when creating files in a directory containing hundreds of thousands
> > of files.
>
> Are you using UFS dirhashing?
>
> From FreeBSD's NOTES file (I believe Free got it from Net):
>
> # Directory hashing improves the speed of operations on very large
> # directories at the expense of some memory.
> options UFS_DIRHASH

Hi,

I was just using a stock NetBSD system. I hadn't turned on any magic
or hashing or such. One of these days, though, I'm going to do the
PStore tests on several file systems to illustrate the impact the file
system has on using that container. One of theses days. I swear!
Just have to move a couple other projects out of the way, first, but a
Part II is in the works.

-Scott