Nuby: config problem on solaris--net/smtp file not found

rpardee

12/10/2004 12:48:00 AM

Hey All,

Having just convinced my sysadmin to install ruby on solaris, I'm
having a problem w/a script that uses the net/smtp library. I'm hoping
the following is enough info for one of you kind people to diagnose the
problem:

totoro:~/chcr/rb>ruby -v
ruby 1.8.1 (2003-12-25) [sparc-solaris2.9]

totoro:~/chcr/rb>ruby -e 'require "net/smtp"'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/sparc-solaris2.9/digest/md5.so: ld.so.1: ruby:
fatal: li
bcrypto.so.0.9.7: open failed: No such file or directory -
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1
..8/sparc-solaris2.9/digest/md5.so (LoadError)
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/net/smtp.rb:122
from -e:1:in `require'
from -e:1
totoro:~/chcr/rb>

It looks to me like that md5.so file *does* exist at the specified
location:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root bin 34444 Dec 9 08:06 md5.so*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root bin 37956 Dec 9 08:06 rmd160.so*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root bin 37848 Dec 9 08:06 sha1.so*
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root bin 74892 Dec 9 08:06 sha2.so*
totoro:/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/sparc-solaris2.9/digest>
Can anybody advise?

Thanks!

-Roy

4 Answers

djberg96

Hi Roy,

I would say your sysadmin borked the installation. I would ask how he
built and/or installed it. Which compiler? Which options? Or did he
use a package? If so, from where did he get it?

I would recommend using the package from blastwave.org if you're going
to use 1.8.1.

Regards,

Dan

ts

r> totoro:~/chcr/rb>ruby -e 'require "net/smtp"'
r> /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/sparc-solaris2.9/digest/md5.so: ld.so.1: ruby:
r> fatal: libcrypto.so.0.9.7: open failed: No such file or directory -
r> /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/sparc-solaris2.9/digest/md5.so (LoadError)
r> from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/net/smtp.rb:122
r> from -e:1:in `require'
r> from -e:1
r> totoro:~/chcr/rb>

r> It looks to me like that md5.so file *does* exist at the specified
r> location:

This is libcrypto.so.0.9.7, not md5.so, that it can't find at runtime.

Guy Decoux

David Stevenson

Michael Angelo Ravera wrote
>In the ACBL, 9.5 tables are usually handled with a bump, but this
>requires one pair to do something unusual for 1 or 2 rounds in order
>to avoid being bumped twice or playing the bumping pair twice. Just
>set up a N-S bump in one line and an E-W bump in the other line and
>have the pairs who are bumped play each other. I suspect that, with
>the double bump, this unusualness could be avoided, but I haven't made
>up the movement file for it yet. You may need three sets of boards or
>to share to make it work. In the 19-table case, you could play 24 or
>27 boards, if you use this sort of movement.

9.5: share across end, Bowman, or Ewing [all the same thing]: 24
boards in play, easy peasy. If you want more boards, Mitchell with
skip, play 27 out of 30 boards, no revenge round.

>I haven't worked out whether you can use the usual Appendix Mitchell
>for 10.5 tables with roles switched on one of the lines and get a
>viable pseudo-sitout matchup. However, you could certainly make 3
>lines of 7 tables each with a blackpool and use free migration between
>lines. You just need 3 sets of boards. Arrow switch to get one winner.

10.5: share across end, Bowman, or Ewing [all the same thing]: 27
boards in play, easy peasy. You can stop a round early if oyu want to
play 24 boards.

>Nobody likes ANY movement for 11.5 tables, so 23 tables
>(coincidenallty the number of tables that we had for our team game
>last month) is going to be a hairy bear. Probably best to do an 11-
>table blackpool and a 12-table bye and share (or blackpool, if we
>might want to play 26 boards). It may help matters to do a line switch
>half-way through. An arrow switch can be used to produce one winner.

23? 14 [13x2] and 9 [9x3].

>For 25 tables, It's back to your idea of treating it as 2 lines of
>12.5 tables
>
>For the benefit of ACBL directors, David's use of the term "Line" is
>basially the same as what we would call a "Section", but actually
>better describes what is going on in a large event where you'd like to
>get only one or two winners, so I used David's term.

If you play 24 tables as a 12 table and a 12 table, then you have 2
sections and 4 lines. If you play 2 sessions for example, normal in
England is to rotate lines as follows:

Red N/S to Red N/S
Red E/W to White N/S
White N/S to White E/W
White E/W to Red E/W

We like a stationary line for pairs who cannot move.

In the ACBL more common seems to be

Red N/S to Red E/W
Red E/W to White N/S
White N/S to White E/W
White E/W to Red N/S

Then they have to have special rules for those who cannot move.

--
David Stevenson Bridge RTFLB Cats Railways
Liverpool, England, UK bluejak on BBO Fax: +44 870 055 7697

Michael Angelo Ravera

On Apr 11, 6:09 am, David Stevenson <brid...@nospam.demon.co.uk>
wrote:
> Michael Angelo Ravera wrote
>
> >In the ACBL, 9.5 tables are usually handled with a bump, but this
> >requires one pair to do something unusual for 1 or 2 rounds in order
> >to avoid being bumped twice or playing the bumping pair twice. Just
> >set up a N-S bump in one line and an E-W bump in the other line and
> >have the pairs who are bumped play each other. I suspect that, with
> >the double bump, this unusualness could be avoided, but I haven't made
> >up the movement file for it yet. You may need three sets of boards or
> >to share to make it work. In the 19-table case, you could play 24 or
> >27 boards, if you use this sort of movement.
>
>    9.5: share across end, Bowman, or Ewing [all the same thing]: 24
> boards in play, easy peasy.  If you want more boards, Mitchell with
> skip, play 27 out of 30 boards, no revenge round.
>
> >I haven't worked out whether you can use the usual Appendix Mitchell
> >for 10.5 tables with roles switched on one of the lines and get a
> >viable pseudo-sitout matchup. However, you could certainly make 3
> >lines of 7 tables each with a blackpool and use free migration between
> >lines. You just need 3 sets of boards. Arrow switch to get one winner.
>
>    10.5: share across end, Bowman, or Ewing [all the same thing]: 27
> boards in play, easy peasy.  You can stop a round early if oyu want to
> play 24 boards.
>
> >Nobody likes ANY movement for 11.5 tables, so 23 tables
> >(coincidenallty the number of tables that we had for our team game
> >last month) is going to be a hairy bear. Probably best to do an 11-
> >table blackpool and a 12-table bye and share (or blackpool, if we
> >might want to play 26 boards). It may help matters to do a line switch
> >half-way through. An arrow switch can be used to produce one winner.
>
>    23?  14 [13x2] and 9 [9x3].
>
> >For 25 tables, It's back to your idea of treating it as 2 lines of
> >12.5 tables
>
> >For the benefit of ACBL directors, David's use of the term "Line" is
> >basially the same as what we would call a "Section", but actually
> >better describes what is going on in a large event where you'd like to
> >get only one or two winners, so I used David's term.
>
>    If you play 24 tables as a 12 table and a 12 table, then you have 2
> sections and 4 lines.  If you play 2 sessions for example, normal in
> England is to rotate lines as follows:
>
> Red N/S to Red N/S
> Red E/W to White N/S
> White N/S to White E/W
> White E/W to Red E/W
>
>    We like a stationary line for pairs who cannot move.
>
>    In the ACBL more common seems to be
>
> Red N/S to Red E/W
> Red E/W to White N/S
> White N/S to White E/W
> White E/W to Red N/S

This make the term "line" distinct from "section" and a useful term
for which no one over here sems to have a good term.