COM with Ruby

Justin Rudd

12/7/2004 12:40:00 AM

I know about Win32Ole for accessing COM objects, but what about
writing COM objects with Ruby? I'm looking to write an addin for
Outlook.

Thanks!

--
Justin Rudd
http://seagecko.org...

4 Answers

Thomas A. Rieck

Justin Rudd wrote:
> I know about Win32Ole for accessing COM objects, but what about
> writing COM objects with Ruby? I'm looking to write an addin for
> Outlook.
>
> Thanks!

Wow. That sounds pretty involved. Wouldn't you have to generate a COM
DLL from the ruby source?

djberg96

Hi Justin,

These links should be of interest to you:

http://www.geocities.com/masonralph...
http://www.geocities.com/masonralph/rubyc...

Regards,

Dan

Justin Rudd

> Wow. That sounds pretty involved. Wouldn't you have to generate a COM
> DLL from the ruby source?

Shouldn't. At least I hope not. Python has a library that allows
Python classes to be COM classes as well. I'm hoping that there is
something like that available :)

Take a look at the SpamBayes Outlook Addin for an example of Python as
a COM object.

--
Justin Rudd
http://seagecko.org...

Justin Rudd

> These links should be of interest to you:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/masonralph...
> http://www.geocities.com/masonralph/rubyc...

Looks like a good start. I might have to extend it a bit to be able
to implement a specific interface.

Thanks!

--
Justin Rudd