Uninstall Gems

T. Onoma

12/5/2004 5:33:00 PM

What's the proper way to uninstall RubyGems?

If you wonder why I'd want to:
1. Screwy error messages.
2. RUBYOPT causes conflict with RPA and compiling Ruby.
3. I like setup.rb best anyway.

What I like about it that I will miss?
1. Command line interface is well done.
2. Version control is a very nice feature.
3. Love the name.

Unfortunately the later doesn't quite overcome the former, at least for my
tastes.

Thanks,
T.

10 Answers

Chad Fowler

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 02:32:51 +0900, trans. (T. Onoma)
<transami@runbox.com> wrote:
> What's the proper way to uninstall RubyGems?
>
> If you wonder why I'd want to:
> 1. Screwy error messages.
> 2. RUBYOPT causes conflict with RPA and compiling Ruby.
> 3. I like setup.rb best anyway.
>
> What I like about it that I will miss?
> 1. Command line interface is well done.
> 2. Version control is a very nice feature.
> 3. Love the name.
>
> Unfortunately the later doesn't quite overcome the former, at least for my
> tastes.
>
> Thanks,
> T.

(for example)
rm -rf /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems*
rm -rf /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/
rm /usr/local/bin/gem* # be careful on this one

I'd love a list (sent personally to me, preferably) of the "Screwy"
error messages. We're working on the RUBYOPT thing.

--

Chad Fowler
http://chad...

Mauricio Fernández

On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 08:32:30AM +0900, Chad Fowler wrote:
> > What's the proper way to uninstall RubyGems?
[...]
> (for example)
> rm -rf /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems*
> rm -rf /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/
> rm /usr/local/bin/gem* # be careful on this one

One would also have to remove the stubs in bin/ carefully, I guess.

> I'd love a list (sent personally to me, preferably) of the "Screwy"
> error messages. We're working on the RUBYOPT thing.

I'd appreciate some info on this. How are you going to solve the problem
when building ruby?

--
Hassle-free packages for Ruby?
RPA is available from http://www.rubyar...

Mauricio Fernández

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 06:56:02PM +0900, Mauricio Fernández wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 08:32:30AM +0900, Chad Fowler wrote:
> > I'd love a list (sent personally to me, preferably) of the "Screwy"
> > error messages. We're working on the RUBYOPT thing.
>
> I'd appreciate some info on this. How are you going to solve the problem
> when building ruby?

Chad?

--
Hassle-free packages for Ruby?
RPA is available from http://www.rubyar...

Jim Weirich

On Saturday 11 December 2004 12:36 pm, Mauricio Fernández wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 06:56:02PM +0900, Mauricio Fernández wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 06, 2004 at 08:32:30AM +0900, Chad Fowler wrote:
> > > I'd love a list (sent personally to me, preferably) of the "Screwy"
> > > error messages. We're working on the RUBYOPT thing.
> >
> > I'd appreciate some info on this. How are you going to solve the problem
> > when building ruby?

I must have missed something. What exactly is the problem with compiling ruby
with RUBYOPT? (I searched the RubyGemsDev mailing list and couldn't find a
reference).

--
-- Jim Weirich jim@weirichhouse.org http://onest...

Austin Ziegler

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 03:15:18 +0900, Jim Weirich <jim@weirichhouse.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 11 December 2004 12:36 pm, Mauricio Fernández wrote:
>>> I'd appreciate some info on this. How are you going to solve the
>>> problem when building ruby?
> I must have missed something. What exactly is the problem with
> compiling ruby with RUBYOPT? (I searched the RubyGemsDev mailing
> list and couldn't find a reference).

Once miniruby is built, if RUBYOPT is set, then it can't find
"ubygems" and the build dies.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue@gmail.com
* Alternate: austin@halostatue.ca

Jim Weirich

On Saturday 11 December 2004 04:34 pm, Austin Ziegler wrote:
> > I must have missed something. What exactly is the problem with
> > compiling ruby with RUBYOPT? (I searched the RubyGemsDev mailing
> > list and couldn't find a reference).
>
> Once miniruby is built, if RUBYOPT is set, then it can't find
> "ubygems" and the build dies.

I still must be missing something ... with Ruby 1.8.2.preview2 ...

traken$ echo $RUBYOPT
rubygems
traken$ make
gcc -g -O2 -I. -I. -c array.c
gcc -g -O2 -I. -I. -c bignum.c
gcc -g -O2 -I. -I. -c class.c

[... many line elided ...]

ar rcu libruby-static.a array.o bignum.o class.o compar.o dir.o dln.o
enum.o error.o eval.o file.o gc.o hash.o inits.o io.o marshal.o math.o
numeric.o object.o pack.o parse.o process.o prec.o random.o range.o re.o
regex.o ruby.o signal.o sprintf.o st.o string.o struct.o time.o util.o
variable.o version.o dmyext.o
gcc -g -O2 -I. -I. -c main.c
gcc -g -O2 -rdynamic main.o dmyext.o libruby-static.a -ldl -lcrypt -lm
-o miniruby
compiling Win32API
compiling bigdecimal

[... more lines elided ...]

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jim/pkgs/ruby-1.8.2-preview3'
gcc -g -O2 -rdynamic -L. main.o -lruby-static -ldl -lcrypt -lm -o
ruby
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jim/pkgs/ruby-1.8.2-preview3'
traken$ make test
test succeeded
traken$ echo $RUBYOPT
rubygems

AFAICT miniruby builds fine. Am I doing something different than the those
having a problem?

--
-- Jim Weirich jim@weirichhouse.org http://onest...

gabriele renzi

Jim Weirich ha scritto:

> AFAICT miniruby builds fine. Am I doing something different than the those
> having a problem?

maybe you have RUBYLIB set to search in the old library path, and those
having a problem don't have it set so miniruby fails to load from
$ruby_build_dir
# already compiled, so quick show:
C:\ruby-build\ruby>make
c:\ruby-build\ruby\miniruby.exe: No such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)
make: *** [all] Error 1

nobu.nokada

At Sun, 12 Dec 2004 20:22:22 +0900,
gabriele renzi wrote in [ruby-talk:123401]:
> maybe you have RUBYLIB set to search in the old library path, and those
> having a problem don't have it set so miniruby fails to load from
> $ruby_build_dir
> # already compiled, so quick show:
> C:\ruby-build\ruby>make
> c:\ruby-build\ruby\miniruby.exe: No such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)
> make: *** [all] Error 1

On dosish systems, load paths are relative to the path of the
ruby DLL.

Does it work by adding a line "RUBYOPT=" to Makefile?

--
Nobu Nakada

Jim Weirich

On Sunday 12 December 2004 12:54 pm, nobu.nokada@softhome.net wrote:
> gabriele renzi wrote in [ruby-talk:123401]:
> > maybe you have RUBYLIB set to search in the old library path, and those
> > having a problem don't have it set so miniruby fails to load from
> > $ruby_build_dir
> > # already compiled, so quick show:
> > C:\ruby-build\ruby>make
> > c:\ruby-build\ruby\miniruby.exe: No such file to load -- ubygems
> > (LoadError) make: *** [all] Error 1
>
> On dosish systems, load paths are relative to the path of the
> ruby DLL.

Ahhh ... thanks. This does make sense. I do very little development on
windows systems and didn't realize the difference.

> Does it work by adding a line "RUBYOPT=" to Makefile?

You should also be able to create a launch script that sets the value of
RUBYOPT during a build.

--

nobu.nokada@softhome.net ha scritto:

> On dosish systems, load paths are relative to the path of the
> ruby DLL.
>
> Does it work by adding a line "RUBYOPT=" to Makefile?

Yes it does.
I have a batch script that sets up stuff (cvs checkout, setting paths
environment variables etc), so I never bothered to try this.
Do you think that the generated Makefile
should have this by default to avoid this kind of problems?