generating HTML: what is the best Ruby library ?

Markus Jais

12/2/2004 7:31:00 PM

hello

I have some datta in a MySQL DB

I want to generate static HTML pages from the DB with Ruby using
a Templating Library. I have Bluecloth, Amrita, PageTemplate und found
more in the RAA.

the resulting website will be fairly simple. It will be mostly
a news site with headlines, short descriptions of the news,
some large chunks of text and links.

all will be created in my computer and then copied to the webserver
using FTP.

I wanted to know what the experiences of other people with these
tools are.

what would you recommend ??

thanks in advance.

regards

Markus
2 Answers

Eric Hodel

On 02 Dec 2004, at 11:32, Markus Jais wrote:

> hello
>
> I have some datta in a MySQL DB
>
> I want to generate static HTML pages from the DB with Ruby using
> a Templating Library. I have Bluecloth, Amrita, PageTemplate und found
> more in the RAA.
>

> the resulting website will be fairly simple. It will be mostly
> a news site with headlines, short descriptions of the news,
> some large chunks of text and links.

How does the data get into the database?

I recommend ditching the database and using ZenWeb...

> all will be created in my computer and then copied to the webserver
> using FTP.
>

> I wanted to know what the experiences of other people with these
> tools are.
>
> what would you recommend ??

ZenWeb is totally awesome, it builds a static HTML website with an
excellent navigation and link structure. It uses plain text files with
a simple markup which gets rendered into pages. You can extend the
renderers easily to handle any special layouts you want.

Cameron McBride

Hey Marus,

> I want to generate static HTML pages from the DB with Ruby using
> a Templating Library. I have Bluecloth, Amrita, PageTemplate und found
> more in the RAA.

It sounds like you have simple needs. I, personally, love Amrita.
In my brain, your problem is easily solved by having a ruby script
connect to the DB, create a hash of values and generate a page via
Amrita.

The elegance is that the 'template' for the HTML pages would be simple
HTML. Someone (or yourself) wants a different look? Design it just
thinking about html and using your browser to look at it. Once you've
finalized the look, throw in respective id attributes and rerun
script. HTML stays in HTML, ruby handles data and many page
generation. Easy elegance.

Have fun!

Cameron