What do you use Ruby for?

coke

12/2/2004 10:30:00 AM

What do you use Ruby for is my question.Me,being 17 I have lots of
spare time on my hand, and with that time I've decided to learn a
programming language, Ruby. Right now I'm learning the basics of ruby
and how it works, this will help me understand and read ruby easier.
Back on the topic: what do you use ruby for? When I ask that question
I mean how do you use Ruby and why. This question later on when I get
more into ruby will help me decide how to use ruby from your
experience, thanks

7 Answers

Shajith

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 19:30:12 +0900, coke <coke2k5@gmail.com> wrote:
> What do you use Ruby for is my question

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-...

Stephan Kämper

coke wrote:
> What do you use Ruby for is my question.Me,being 17 I have lots of

Have a look at this: http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?Rea...

Cheers

Stephan

Henrik Horneber

CT wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 19:30:12 +0900, coke <coke2k5@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>What do you use Ruby for is my question
>

> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-...

Another thread that touched this subject starts at
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-t...

regards,
Henrik

Matt Lawrence

coke

Thanks, very usefull links everyone.

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 05:30:54 +0900, Matt Lawrence <matt@technoronin.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, coke wrote:
>

> > What do you use Ruby for is my question.Me,being 17 I have lots of
> > spare time on my hand, and with that time I've decided to learn a
> > programming language, Ruby. Right now I'm learning the basics of ruby
> > and how it works, this will help me understand and read ruby easier.
> > Back on the topic: what do you use ruby for? When I ask that question
> > I mean how do you use Ruby and why. This question later on when I get
> > more into ruby will help me decide how to use ruby from your
> > experience, thanks
>
> Web spiders, data mining, general slice and dice of data while moving it
> from one place to another. Soon I'll have a bunch of system configuration
> and installation tools written in Ruby.
>
> I'm nowhere near as bright as a lot of the people on this list and, I'm no
> longer a programmer, I've been a systems administrator for many years now.
>
> -- Matt
> It's not what I know that counts, it's what I can remember in time to use.

takaoueda

coke wrote:
> What do you use Ruby for is my question.Me,being 17 I have lots of
> spare time on my hand, and with that time I've decided to learn a
> programming language, Ruby. Right now I'm learning the basics of ruby
> and how it works, this will help me understand and read ruby easier.
> Back on the topic: what do you use ruby for? When I ask that question
> I mean how do you use Ruby and why. This question later on when I get
> more into ruby will help me decide how to use ruby from your
> experience, thanks

I learned the basics of Ruby 4 years ago just after the first edition
of Programming Ruby was published. It was fun, but I did not use it.
But recently I created some Ruby programs for my research work. See
"Appendix: Computer Program Tools, Threshold Transformations and
Dynamical Systems of Neural Networks" in
http://www.geocities.com....

Takao

martinus

* Whenever shellscripts would get too complicated (I always forget the
syntax of for-rof loops...)
* For each program I write in my spare time
* Whenever I want to try out a new idea, I think how I would code this
in ruby, then I write it in the language that I have to use.
* When writing Java/C++ code, I sometimes rewrite stuff in ruby just to
see how this should really look like :-)

martinus