Does REXML add spaces to comments?

Phlip

12/1/2004 6:30:00 PM

Rubistas:

I'm using REXML to read and write XML too often.

Whenever REXML saves a comment, it adds linefeeds to it. Because I
write too often, these are stacking up. Is this my fault? I tried
various doc.write(f, x) options for the indentation levels.

Ruby 1.8.2 (from the Pragmatic Programmers' way cool installer).

--
Phlip
3 Answers

James Britt

phlip2005@gmail.com wrote:
> Rubistas:
>
> I'm using REXML to read and write XML too often.
>
> Whenever REXML saves a comment, it adds linefeeds to it. Because I
> write too often, these are stacking up. Is this my fault? I tried
> various doc.write(f, x) options for the indentation levels.

Doesn't seem that way for me:

#--------
require 'rexml/document'
doc = REXML::Document.new( "<foo>Text</foo>" )
doc.root << REXML::Comment.new( 'My Comment')
puts doc # <foo>Text<!--My Comment--></foo>
#--------

This is using

ruby 1.8.2 (2004-11-06) [i386-mswin32]

on Win2K

> Ruby 1.8.2 (from the Pragmatic Programmers' way cool installer).

I believe this is Curt Hibbs' work, now referred to as the "One-click
Installer."

James

Phlip

James Britt wrote:

> > Whenever REXML saves a comment, it adds linefeeds to it. Because I
> > write too often, these are stacking up. Is this my fault? I tried
> > various doc.write(f, x) options for the indentation levels.

> #--------
> require 'rexml/document'
> doc = REXML::Document.new( "<foo>Text</foo>" )
> doc.root << REXML::Comment.new( 'My Comment')
> puts doc # <foo>Text<!--My Comment--></foo>
> #--------

I cannot reproduce the problem using a 4 line program like that, with a copy
of the production XML that causes the problem. Thanks for trying. I have to
look closer at the production then...

--
Phlip
http://industrialxp.org/community/bin/view/Main/TestFirstUser...

Stefan Lang

Am Mittwoch, 1. Dezember 2004 19:32 schrieb phlip2005@gmail.com:
> Rubistas:
>
> I'm using REXML to read and write XML too often.
>
> Whenever REXML saves a comment, it adds linefeeds to it. Because I
> write too often, these are stacking up. Is this my fault? I tried
> various doc.write(f, x) options for the indentation levels.
>
> Ruby 1.8.2 (from the Pragmatic Programmers' way cool installer).

I have the same problem: Read document and write it
out again with (usually) doc.write(file, 0).
This adds some (at least one) linefeeds to previously existing ones.

Ruby version: ruby 1.8.2 (2004-11-06) [i686-linux]

--
Stefan