Re: Timezone Adjustment?

Lon Baker

12/1/2004 2:52:00 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and here is what I had come up with.

The time is stored in a datetime field in MySQL. Assuming I stored it
as UTC/GMT, when it is displayed I am simply adjusting it based on the
users preferences, currently these are limited to US timezones.

t = time from database in UTC/GMT

t + Time.zone_offset('PST') #displays Pacific Standard Time
t + Time.zone_offset('MST') #displays Mountain Standard Time
t + Time.zone_offset('CST') #displays Central Standard Time
t + Time.zone_offset('EST') #displays Eastern Standard Time

--
Lon

7 Answers

wy

On Feb 12, 5:00 pm, "Tom Gardner" <kl57...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "wy"  wrote in message

> On Feb 11, 1:31 pm, jane <jane.pla...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> How would she have that liberty to take birth control if it's denied
> her by those who believe they have a greater liberty to deny her birth
> control?  Your logic would apply that to any and all groups seeking a
> right of liberty to deny the individual.  So then are you saying you
> believe in liberty of the collective (those who make up the totality
> of a religion) over liberty of the individual (someone like you)?  And
> then, how is birth control even related to religion in any way
> whatsoever?  There's nothing in the bible that prohibits it, so who
> has decided that it should be prohibited, if not God or Jesus?  In
> other words, you're siding with the fallacious thought of the
> collective over the rational thought of the individual.
>
> No one is denying a woman's liberty to use birth control or the abortion
> pill.  She can get those anywhere.  The church believes that it shouldn't be
> complicit by paying for it.  She can buy it on her own.  The argument is
> REALLY about the abortion pill.

"The policy does not cover drugs that cause abortion, such as RU-486."

http://www.truth-out.org/just-facts-churches-and-contraceptive-coverage-mandate/...

So then, what is the real argument about now?

Pepe Le Jew

In article <N7WdnVv-4v7GrKXSnZ2dnUVZ_v2dnZ2d@mchsi.com>,
Bible Studies with Satan <bible@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Pepe Le Jew wrote:
>
> > In article <noOdnRynJJYlt6XSnZ2dnUVZ_o2dnZ2d@mchsi.com>,
> > Bible Studies with Satan <bible@hotmail.com> wrote:

> >> We support labor rights. If a person is hired to work in a hospital, they
> >> should
> >> get the same national health insurance as other hospitals provide.
> >
> > Unless that would violate the charter of the the institution.
>
> Nope. Sorry, you ccan't write a charter that says you can take LSD and have
> it be magically legal.

The institution is neither compelling nor allowing their employees to do
anything.

The government is compelling the institution to go against their charter,
which is religiously based.

Maybe there are precedents, a Muslim-based institution that must provide
pork, for instance, but I haven't found any.

> > People who apply to work in these institutions are aware of the charter,
> > and what insurance will or will not cover.
>
> We have national health insurance now.
> If you want wingnut health insurance,
> you'll have to move to Somalia!

We do not have "national health insurance", and coverage in question is
through private-sector companies.

Next.

M.I. Wakefield

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

Snip!

> No one is denying a woman's liberty to use birth control or the abortion
> pill. She can get those anywhere. The church believes that it shouldn't
> be complicit by paying for it. She can buy it on her own. The argument
> is REALLY about the abortion pill.

Sorry. Too late to change hills ... you're on the one that says you don't
want women to have access to the birth control pill, and that's just where
Obama wanted you.

Pepe Le Jew

In article
<273272fa-e71f-40e5-b06b-be9d5716b222@e27g2000vbu.googlegroups.com>,
wy <wy_@myself.com> wrote:

> On Feb 12, 3:48?pm, Pepe Le Jew <Peps...@zionet.com> wrote:
> > In article <jh96va$qd...@dont-email.me>, "NotMe" <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
> > > "Pepe Le Jew" <Peps...@zionet.com> wrote in message

> > > Creditable links are most welcome. ?BTW the rules do NOT apply to the
> > > church.
> >
> > You need a link too?
> >
> > That's two people supporting the President who need links to see what the
> > hell this is all about.
> >
> > http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/us-bi......
> > as-contraception-compromise/2012/02/11/gIQAlGVO7Q_story.html
>
> Here's a better link that includes the relevant information which your
> link excludes:

Sorry, I linked to the WaPo because it is usually an accepted source for
the left.

> "Nonprofit organizations that "primarily" exist to spread their
> religious values and primarily serve and employ people who share those
> values are exempt from the rule. This means that churches and houses
> of worship are exempt, but religiously affiliated schools and
> hospitals that serve and employ people of different faiths are not
> exempt."
>
> http://www.truth-out.org/just-facts-churches-and-contraceptive-cover...
> e/1328214331
>
> And yes, Virginia, there really is a difference between a church and
> its religion and religious-affiliated institutions that are not
> religions.

But, it is their similarity and connection to the church which are the
salient issue.

The answer is painfully obvious. The Catholic church should shutter these
charitable institutions if the government uses those institutions as a
vehicle to exert State power over them.
'
Whoever is being served by these institutions can enter the superior
government system.

That's a real win for the left.

Pepe Le Jew

In article
<e8bfff6f-d80d-41aa-8087-4b14d3a6261e@do4g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,
wy <wy_@myself.com> wrote:

> On Feb 12, 5:00?pm, "Tom Gardner" <kl57...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > "wy" ?wrote in message

> > On Feb 11, 1:31 pm, jane <jane.pla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > How would she have that liberty to take birth control if it's denied
> > her by those who believe they have a greater liberty to deny her birth
> > control? ?Your logic would apply that to any and all groups seeking a
> > right of liberty to deny the individual. ?So then are you saying you
> > believe in liberty of the collective (those who make up the totality
> > of a religion) over liberty of the individual (someone like you)? ?And
> > then, how is birth control even related to religion in any way
> > whatsoever? ?There's nothing in the bible that prohibits it, so who
> > has decided that it should be prohibited, if not God or Jesus? ?In
> > other words, you're siding with the fallacious thought of the
> > collective over the rational thought of the individual.
> >
> > No one is denying a woman's liberty to use birth control or the abortion
> > pill. ?She can get those anywhere. ?The church believes that it shouldn't
> > be
> > complicit by paying for it. ?She can buy it on her own. ?The argument is
> > REALLY about the abortion pill.
>
> "The policy does not cover drugs that cause abortion, such as RU-486."
>
> http://www.truth-out.org/just-facts-churches-and-contraceptive-cover...
> e/1328214331
>
> So then, what is the real argument about now?

Birth control pills.

wy

On Feb 12, 5:44 pm, Pepe Le Jew <Peps...@zionet.com> wrote:
> In article
> <e8bfff6f-d80d-41aa-8087-4b14d3a62...@do4g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,
>

>  wy <w...@myself.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 12, 5:00 pm, "Tom Gardner" <kl57...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > "wy"  wrote in message

> > > On Feb 11, 1:31 pm, jane <jane.pla...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > How would she have that liberty to take birth control if it's denied
> > > her by those who believe they have a greater liberty to deny her birth
> > > control?  Your logic would apply that to any and all groups seeking a
> > > right of liberty to deny the individual.  So then are you saying you
> > > believe in liberty of the collective (those who make up the totality
> > > of a religion) over liberty of the individual (someone like you)?  And
> > > then, how is birth control even related to religion in any way
> > > whatsoever?  There's nothing in the bible that prohibits it, so who
> > > has decided that it should be prohibited, if not God or Jesus?  In
> > > other words, you're siding with the fallacious thought of the
> > > collective over the rational thought of the individual.
> > > _________________________________________________
>
> > > No one is denying a woman's liberty to use birth control or the abortion
> > > pill.  She can get those anywhere.  The church believes that it shouldn't
> > > be
> > > complicit by paying for it.  She can buy it on her own.  The argument is
> > > REALLY about the abortion pill.
>
> > "The policy does not cover drugs that cause abortion, such as RU-486."
>
> >http://www.truth-out.org/just-facts-churches-and-contracept......
> > e/1328214331
>
> > So then, what is the real argument about now?
>
> Birth control pills.

It probably is, but it's being effectively disguised as an artificial
religious rights issue.

Pepe Le Jew

In article
<6edfd2e7-b2fb-4491-bef1-6202dfb8547b@bs8g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,
wy <wy_@myself.com> wrote:

> > > So then, what is the real argument about now?
> >
> > Birth control pills.
>
> It probably is, but it's being effectively disguised as an artificial
> religious rights issue.

It actually is.

The State is compelling a Church to do something against a tenet of the
church.